Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yesterday, at a well known airfield in the south, I witnessed another classic example of this country’s decaying basic humanity, and because it was a Russian radial type, typical Aero-pikeyness.

After vacating the active runway I turned off, and started to taxy back to the parking area. In front of me was a Yak that had stopped taxying as there was a small microlight that was blocking the taxiway, with its wing tip seemingly stuck in the hedge. The owner of the microlight wasn’t a spring chicken, and was struggling to move the machine so that the Yak could get past, but with little success.

He looked flustered, and it was clear he wasn’t going to succeed on his own.

After another minute of waiting, the Yak pilot decided to power up, turn sharp left into the long grass, and go past the stricken microlight pilot, leaving him to sort it out for himself.

After he’d left, I decided to pull over, shut down, and help him extricate his wing from the hedge that took a minute or two of gently tugging and manoeuvring. He explained that this had happened when he’d given way to another aircraft on the taxy way.

A polite exchange of words took place and on we went about our days. It took about four minutes.

Honestly, why do Yak flyers seem to think they’re above everyone else? Why couldn’t they help? They were later seen strutting about with half unzipped grow-bags at the fuel pumps, chatting away casually to a bystander after they’d fuelled, and while others were waiting to fuel up.

C’mon guys, have some basic manners will you?
Last edited by TheFarmer on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Flyin'Dutch', Rob P, Lockhaven and 6 others liked this
By cotterpot
We had an example Saturday.
Flew to Fenland, which was busy as expected..
Very unhealth bacon and egg bap consumed. :thumleft:

Waiting to leave, at least 3 in circuit, two more on ground with us - and someone calls a 4 mile final :?: Were they not listening?
By jrp
Bit of a moan wasn't it?

Maybe radials are not the thing for just switching off for a moment and then firing up again.

What's the problem with flying suits? Pockets for everything, somewhere to keep a pen handy and they don't melt all over you in fires, what's not to like?

A few more positive vibes needed I think.
kanga liked this
By MichaelP
There’s a lot to complain about... Someone flew over the top of us by about 100 feet just after we crossed over the runway, joining for right downwind.
I mentioned this over the radio and was told I should look out in the circuit.
I agree I should look out in the circuit but sometimes we miss other aircraft especially from unexpected directions. But we were on the conflicting aircraft’s right, and we were at the correct height joining the circuit. He crossed from our ten o’clock to our four o’clock.
If you turn to cross back over the airfield I think that you should be at least five hundred feet above the circuit height, and not ‘one hundred’.

On the other side our radio was not strong, and the conflicting aeroplane may not have heard our calls, though the tower did, readability three.

We’ve just got to be more careful out there until pilots get used to there being traffic again.

I fully agree with being courteous and helping our fellow aviators. Something I’ve always tried to instil in my students.

Yesterday I offered to help a chap start his new aeroplane by the fuel pumps.
The aeroplane was chocked... Usually I will stand by the tailplane just in case. This time I was by the wing.
The throttle was set, too high!, and it was just as well I was there!
There’s an attitude some pilots flying aircraft without starter motors “I have my own way, I don’t need help”, (this was not the case yesterday), but when it comes to hand starting, insisting on at least standing in front of the tailplane, may save the day when a mistake is made.

We all make mistakes.

On the balance with these acts of poor airmanship, and lacks of courtesy, there is the fact that the majority of aviators here are friendly, very helpful to each other, enthusiastic, and an absolute pleasure to be with.
By Lockhaven
jrp wrote:
Maybe radials are not the thing for just switching off for a moment and then firing up again.

Its seems from @TheFarmer that there were two onboard the Yak, could one of them not have stayed onboard while the other hopped out to help the stranded aviator ?

The same is happening on the roads, lockdown has had a detrimental effect on many drivers ability to act sensibly and have at least the minimum of manners.
By Rob P
There is the possibility his compressed air was depleted - but I think that is probably a charitable interpretation to put on the actions (or inaction).

Vaguely wondering why the status of his flight suit zip rates a mention? I guess it's just adding colour to the narrative :lol:

Rob P
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Rob P wrote:
Vaguely wondering why the status of his flight suit zip rates a mention? I guess it's just adding colour to the narrative :lol:

Rob P

Yeah, mine only fastens half way! :) :)
Rob P liked this
By romille
The "I'm alright Jack, up yours" attitude seems to be endemic in UK culture these days, bad manners and selfish behavior are now the norm......unfortunately! :roll:
By PaulSS
@Rob P
There is the possibility his compressed air was depleted - but I think that is probably a charitable interpretation to put on the actions (or inaction).

Yeah, I think you're being too kind. I reckon that whirring thing up the front can charge up his aqualung.
By Human Factor
Please don’t tar us all with the same brush (mine is a Wok not a Yak anyway). I’m not going to condone or condemn the individual(s) as I wasn’t there but two of the reasons why they possibly didn’t shut down have been touched upon.

What's the problem with flying suits? Pockets for everything, somewhere to keep a pen handy and they don't melt all over you in fires, what's not to like?

Having landed a -52 many years ago with a Niagara Falls of avgas pouring from the wing. and on a separate occasion having a failed oil pipe send rather warm liquified ex-dinosaurs all over my feet, I’m quite happy in Nomex and decent boots thanks. No need in most regular spam but then they’re built to a civilian certification standard.