Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By carlmeek
I've had to publish this information to a bunch of friends, so thought it would be a good idea to have a fresh new thread here too. Nothing new, already available in other threads if you dig.

Firstly - You *ARE* allowed to fly abroad now. France are open and welcome. Le Touquet heaving, restaurants open, no masks needed. Expect to dodge people on the high street.

Aside from usual Flight Plan and GAR, you'll also need to fill in a health form. Allow 15 minutes of your life to be wasted and click on this link:

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... cator-form

Just be creative when it comes to filling in Booking Reference, Seat Number, flight number. Also ignore the fact that this form is apparently for notifying you when another passenger on your flight gets sick!

One final point - if you read a NOTAM asking you for a "General Aviation Declaration" (GAD) and are puzzled - so are we all. They might mean a GAR, but that seems out of context as GAR has no health data.

It would be helpful if anyone adds to this thread places they have visited, how 'normal' it is, and any extra requirements to be aware of. I'll be planning trips to various close-by countries, and Spain, in the next few weeks.

(I have enquiries pending with my Border Force contact, and also PHE Heathrow)
XX liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Flying in Germany is as per normal with the exception that one has to wear a mask if one is flying outside one's own family bubble. Best check individual airfields to ensure that what you want is available, NOTAMs should help but a call ahead is adviseable. In shops, restaurants, public transport and other indoor public areas a mask needs to be worn by law.
By Dave W
It is frustratingly poorly explained, so the following may help:

@Cookie has produced a revised Cross-Channel checklist which he has kindly sent me and others for wider sharing.

As you'll see in his checklist, Cookie spoke with Public Health England, who confirmed to him that in addition to the online 'Passenger Locator Form' that @carlmeek links to, pilots should also submit a C155 General Declaration ("GEN DEC" - which is not a GAR; you need to submit one of those as well).

Things are a little different if returning from the Common Travel Area (Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Northern ireland and Eire). This flowchart from COVID-19 Border Measures in England, Aviation Industry Operational Guidance may be helpful:
The above is an image: Where it says "General Aircraft Declaration template can be found here", there is a link to the Form C155 GENDEC I linked to earlier in the post.
johnm, reubeno liked this
By Mr Dinos
carlmeek wrote:I've had to publish this information to a bunch of friends, so thought it would be a good idea to have a fresh new thread here too. Nothing new, already available in other threads if you dig.

Firstly - You *ARE* allowed to fly abroad now. France are open and welcome. Le Touquet heaving, restaurants open, no masks needed. Expect to dodge people on the high street.

Aside from usual Flight Plan and GAR, you'll also need to fill in a health form. Allow 15 minutes of your life to be wasted and click on this link:

Just be creative when it comes to filling in Booking Reference, Seat Number, flight number. Also ignore the fact that this form is apparently for notifying you when another passenger on your flight gets sick!

One final point - if you read a NOTAM asking you for a "General Aviation Declaration" (GAD) and are puzzled - so are we all. They might mean a GAR, but that seems out of context as GAR has no health data.

It would be helpful if anyone adds to this thread places they have visited, how 'normal' it is, and any extra requirements to be aware of. I'll be planning trips to various close-by countries, and Spain, in the next few weeks.

(I have enquiries pending with my Border Force contact, and also PHE Heathrow)

Hi Carl,

I telephoned the number in the NOTAM for Heathrow PHE and the person stated to me that they need an ICAO Gendec for the inbound flight which from what the chap explained can be sent up to 45 minutes after arrival.

I simply sent the ICAO Gendec which Skydemon auto generates from a filed GAR and edited it to respond “NIL” to the relevant questions and sent that. I’ve had no responses back so I assume all is good
By Geldard
Flying in Germany is as per normal with the exception that one has to wear a mask

In Germany it is ‘face covering’ not specifically a mask.
In The Netherlands, it IS a Face-Mask, other coverings specifically excluded.
GA is acceptable in both countries.
By Flyin'Dutch'
No doubt correct but I don't know how I can cover my face with anything than a mask.

BTW in Germany is it a Mund und Nasenschutz theoretically nil else needs to be covered. And in the NL no need for covering of any flavour in restaurants - just public transport.
By Iceman
I did the normal GAR in both directions for Jersey this weekend and no sign of BF on return to Blackbushe. I had to have a COVID-19 test on arrival in Jersey though and I just got the result - I’m negative :thumright:.

Iceman 8)
By matthew_w100
Does Jersey let you off the airfield without quarantine? I've a niece who'd like to visit her boyfriend there but she'd have to come back before 14 days were up - which renders the trip rather pointless!
By Iceman
matthew_w100 wrote:Does Jersey let you off the airfield without quarantine? I've a niece who'd like to visit her boyfriend there but she'd have to come back before 14 days were up - which renders the trip rather pointless!

Yes, test on arrival, and then completely free movement. I went over for the weekend, and returned last night. Test result by text / email this morning.

Iceman 8)
By GrahamB
Iceman wrote:I did the normal GAR in both directions for Jersey this weekend and no sign of BF on return to Blackbushe. I had to have a COVID-19 test on arrival in Jersey though and I just got the result - I’m negative :thumright:.

Iceman 8)

I always had you down as a positive sort of chap, @Iceman :lol:
Iceman liked this
By imperialsam
Thank you to everybody who has spent time figuring this all out and summarising it for the rest of our benefits - very much appreciated :thumleft:

On face masks, there is a French NOTAM LFFA/F1020/20 which says, amongst many other things, that:

...the air carries denies boarding to any person aged eleven years or older who does not wear a surgical mask.

Is a proper surgical mask really required for GA flights in France, or does this only apply to CAT? The NOTAM is not very clear.
By skydriller
imperialsam wrote:Is a proper surgical mask really required for GA flights in France, or does this only apply to CAT? The NOTAM is not very clear.

That is quoted directly on the Air France website and applies to commercial ops and is from french law about wearing masks in public enclosed spaces where social distancing is not possible. The french FFA has guidance for aeroclubs and how they should operate sharing a cockpit with others within the aeroclub or instructors requiring the use of masks under the same laws.
This is about club operations where the public are involved, not private flights.
imperialsam liked this
By skydriller
carlmeek wrote:

Ive read the NOTAMs refered to here and in the other thread, which all originate from 23rd June and the date that quarantine was introduced in the UK. Additionally the form in the link is the EXACT form that was to be used for quarantine from 23rd June...As quarantine isnt required from France as of the 10th of July, I would have disregarded the NOTAM (it mentions quarantine of 14days) and as a result I would not fill in the form either...

I cant help but think that this is another case of events moving faster than paperwork for GA?

Regards, SD..

Edit to add: just to be clear, Im just saying how it appears to me...if a BF chap met me and said "you need to fill in this form" Id do it, but Id point out it isnt clear...