Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
#1782574
What is it with people?

They apply for a NOTAM and they can’t even get their flippin’ phone number right. :roll:

I sat at the end of my airstrip earlier and this NOTAM popped up. I thought I’d give them a call for an update while my engine warmed, only to see that they’d missed a digit.

So, Boscombe confirmed for me that there weren’t any meat bombs at that time, and I went through.

Why can’t people just get the basics right?
Image
Last edited by TheFarmer on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob P, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
User avatar
By Rob P
#1782578
Back in the day, copy checking ads, brochures and the like we always rang any telephone number we were publishing before we signed it off.

Golden rule. An ad with the wrong phone number is basically wasted.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', AndyR, Gertie liked this
User avatar
By James Chan
#1782593
Or issue your own NOTAM: Intense crop dusting and farm surveying in operation - Paragliders beware! :D
User avatar
By romille
#1782614
It is just the world we live in, accuracy, spelling and grammar no longer matter, you just need to look good and be able to pout.

If you point out the errors it is met with aggression, derision and phrases like "get over it FFS".
cockney steve, JAFO, Crash one and 7 others liked this
By Crash one
#1782626
The errors are bad enough, but the attitude to them is just as bad, “get over it FFS” is not the way to ever put it right. A big song and dance about it and drag the culprits into the light is what is needed.
User avatar
By romille
#1782667
Dave W wrote:
romille wrote:... you just need to look good and be able to pout.

Marvellous! Then I'm halfway to success in life already. :rabbit:

I alway said you had a fabulous pout, puts Mick Jagger in the shade. :wink:
Dave W liked this
By idlelayabout
#1782688
Crash one wrote:The errors are bad enough, but the attitude to them is just as bad, “get over it FFS” is not the way to ever put it right. A big song and dance about it and drag the culprits into the light is what is needed.

Who are the culprits? The person who sent the information to the LFBC, the LFBC for not checking the number. or AIS for not checking the number before publication? At which point do you assume that the information that you have received is correct?
User avatar
By Irv Lee
#1782693
I remember a squawk with an 8 in it getting all the way down a phone line, through a Southampton tower assistant, through a tower controller and onto the flight deck of an Air France taxi-ing. I often wonder how many times the transponder 'reel' was put through 0-7 before it was questioned, but it took a surprisingly long time, fortunately they needed a backtrack... but had to be held whilst someone somewhere was phoned
scd975 liked this
By idlelayabout
#1782701
Dave W wrote:Given that there are insufficient digits in that NOTAM phone number, error-trapping it at any stage (after the error was introduced) wouldn't even have required dialling it.

One of the downsides of the computer world, garbage in = garbage out.
By XX
#1782709
I was nearly caught out by an inaccurate Solent NOTAM today. Saturdays states closed 11.00-19.00, make traffic calls. Worked fine westbound, everyone giving position reports, marvellous. Eastbound I expected the same, listened in a bit later than I might, but luckily safely before their Class D, only to hear Radar up and running....

There is also a clause in the Notam which says "may change".

They shut as I exited east side. Hey ho.
terrybarr liked this
By Crash one
#1782720
idlelayabout wrote:
Crash one wrote:The errors are bad enough, but the attitude to them is just as bad, “get over it FFS” is not the way to ever put it right. A big song and dance about it and drag the culprits into the light is what is needed.

Who are the culprits? The person who sent the information to the LFBC, the LFBC for not checking the number. or AIS for not checking the number before publication? At which point do you assume that the information that you have received is correct?


The only part of that that I can answer is your last sentence.
Never assume, always check!
If you can’t check, as in this case, then act on what you have or, mitigate and avoid the threat.