Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
shortwing wrote:
Rob P wrote:However GA friendly the airfield might or might not be, I'm just hoping they have radar and are as helpful as their predecessors to Channel hoppers.

One assumes with remote ATC they would have radar, and hopefully provide the same great lars service as before

I understand the plan includes a new radar.
Rob P liked this
CloudHound wrote:Establishing an ATZ and or Controlled Airspace will require the submission of an Airspace Change Proposal under CAP1616 Issue 3.

That 109 week long process allows in the post Stage 5 Decision part a call-in to the Secretary of State for Transport should there be substantive objections.

Apart from any local concerns the London Airspace Modernisation Plan is well advanced so inserting up to Cat 4 sized a/c in to it might be challenging.

They're gonna need a top flight consultant to help them. :lol: :thumright:

Used to be 'Special Rules Airspace' (= Class D) down to 500ft QNH over the whole of Kent and the adjacent sea areas controlled by 'Kent Radar', a NATS unit based at Manston until the late '80s or early '90s (was certainly there at Easter 1988 when I visted).
Last edited by chevvron on Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
2Donkeys liked this
Flyingfemme wrote: And the approach path is right over all of Ramsgate!

Like it was from about 1942 (when the new 'bomber' runway 9000 ft x 750 ft came into us) until they closed?
Ramsgate airport (closed in 1968) was directly under final approach.
Yes irrelevant I know but I just thought you might like to know that.
Last edited by chevvron on Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kemble Pitts liked this
From the local rag (on the 8th July) - permission was given the next day:

'The firm aiming to create a cargo aviation hub at Manston, RiverOak Strategic Partners, paid £16.5 million to buy the airport site from former owners Stone Hill Park.

The sum is revealed in the latest documents submitted to the Planning Inspectorate which has been holding an examination of RSP’s application for a Development Consent Order on the land. The DCO seeks development consent and compulsory buy-out powers over the land. It is the means of obtaining permission for developments categorised as Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects (NSIP).

Completion of the transaction, which will mean RSP subsidiary RiverOak MSE will own more than 95% of the site wanted for the plans, is expected by July 11 but remains conditional upon the Secretary of State for Transport granting his consent. This is expected to be received by July 10.

This permission may be needed due to a special development order designating the Manston airport site for use as a lorry park to cope with possible post-Brexit jams at the Port of Dover which is contracted to run until December 31, 2020.

The Planning Inspectorate examining panel, led by Kelvin McDonald, has been examining the bid being made by RiverOak Strategic Partners (RSP) to acquire the site and create the cargo hub and associated aviation business.

The land was owned by Stone Hill Park which had submitted a planning application to create up to 3,700 homes, business and leisure and associated infrastructure.

During the examination RSP said compensation payable for the compulsory take over of the Manston airport site would be “no more than £7.5 million.”

However Stone Hill Park told examiners their valuation was nearer to a level of £20 million and, with relevant consent in place for development a benchmark figure of £38 million had been identified.
SHP own 742 acres of the site, which totals around 770 acres, with the remaining plots belonging to other interested parties.

The £16.5million spend means RSP’s outlay during the process now stands at some £30 million, according to the latest summary document submitted by the firm.

It states: “To date, the Applicant has spent in excess of £15m on the acquisition of the Jentex fuel site and in pursuing the DCO application. It has now spend a further £16.5m on the acquisition of the SHP site. In total, a very considerable sum has been raised and spent on this project, in excess of £30m.”

The DCO examination concludes on July 9. Approval for the DCO is still needed for airport project with a decision from the Secretary of State expected by January 2020.

Night Flights, and a workable 106 agreement, will still need to be resolved as will the issue of noise levels and the question of how many households should qualify for compensation.'
shortwing wrote:The old primary is but that was almost non effective long before it closed. The newer radar unit was removed and sold some years ago

I dare say that's the old RAF Watchman radar which, although identical to civil ones the CAA wouldn't accept them for use on a civil licensed airport; we had one at Farnborough which was changed to the (in my opinion) inferior Raytheon ASR 10 just like Manstons was. The RAF always NOTAMMed their Watchman at Manston as max range 30nm; don't know what the problem was with it; I visited Manston once 1988 when Kent Radar was still operational and they were using a Plessey AR1 or possibly AR15 which was perfectly good.
A remote radar could easily be 'piped in'; the Pease Pottage 23cm would give quite good coverage at Manston on both primary and secondary-I watched Manston traffic on it from Farnborough on many occasions-but if they wanted to use just the secondary from NATS, I dare say they might come to some arrangement with Southend to use their 10cm primary radar.
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Worlds gone mad. How do you challenge something that already exists. I would hope that whichever Guvmint department that oversaw the consent order has already sought legal advice as to the lawfulness of the decision or action made by the public body.

They are not allowed to consider anything else and, if the review finds in favour of the protesters, then presumably legal eagles in said government department will see some heads roll !

Lets hope that not too much money is wasted.