Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
Nobody else getting a bit bored with celeb gushing from back seat of sadly butchered Spitfire?

Oh well, just me then. They should have quit at Mary Ellis. After her the rest are pointless.

Rob P
seanxair, JAFO liked this
I hope the program gives more credit to other participants, especially the Poles, who taught the RAF to get in closer before opening fire on the enemy. Less about the Spitfire and more of the Hurricane action would be more true to form.
By Kemble Pitts
Bill McCarthy wrote:I hope the program gives more credit to other participants, especially the Poles, who taught the RAF to get in closer before opening fire on the enemy. Less about the Spitfire and more of the Hurricane action would be more true to form.

Indeed, and 303 Squadron was the highest scoring in the BoB - even though the 'powers that be' only let them get into the fight late.
By PeteSpencer
Kemble Pitts wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:I hope the program gives more credit to other participants, especially the Poles, who taught the RAF to get in closer before opening fire on the enemy. Less about the Spitfire and more of the Hurricane action would be more true to form.

Indeed, and 303 Squadron was the highest scoring in the BoB - even though the 'powers that be' only let them get into the fight late.

Dare I say that they had a much more visceral hatred of the Germans in the early stages of WW2 , bearing in mind what had just happened to their country.

One of my late dad's best mates (Dad was a WW2 Nav-ended up as Nav Instructor at Finningly) was a Pole in a fighter squadron who a few years after the B o B got in a skirmish by the N E coast of UK : Although hit, he was so determined to finish off his opponent he chased him out to sea off Yorkshire coast and was never seen again.

Peter.
By Dave W
Bill McCarthy wrote:I hope the program gives more credit to other participants, especially the Poles...

There's an amusing bit of banter about that from the Fleet Air Arm in this RAF tail-tweaker:

(About 0:40, but do watch the whole thing).
By PeteSpencer
Why can't I see that? I don't have any ad blockers.

Maybe something in Norton/Symantec security system. ?

........Ah, found it: I've got 'tracking protection' not keen on disabling that.............

Peter
By kanga
Bill McCarthy wrote:I hope the program gives more credit to other participants, especially the Poles, ... Less about the Spitfire and more of the Hurricane action would be more true to form.

.. and even before 303, the first all Polish squadron to be declared operational, was in action, there were Poles in other RAF units. These included several in 501(County of Gloucester) Sqn RAuxAF, including an 'Ace in a day', Tony Glowacki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoni_G%C5%82owacki

They, too were flying Hurricanes, many Gloster built, with Rotol airscrews, of course :)

Commemorated in exhibits at JAM ..
By Rob P
Bill McCarthy wrote:I hope the program gives more credit to other participants, especially the Poles

No it didn't.

But then this episode was about 15th August, long before 302 or 303 saw action

But it did feature a Kiwi and a Jock

Rob P
By Bill McCarthy
I meant, in the next 2 episodes, just in case you were referring to last nights show. Indeed it was a “Jock” (Dowding) )who lead the whole thing and yet another (Watt) who was the leading hand in the early warning radar that gave us the heads up. You may well scoff.
By Rob P
Absolutely no scoffing intended. It was just quicker than typing "A New Zealander and a Scotsman"

And yes, I was referring just to this episode.

Rob P
By kanga
Rob P wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:I hope the program gives more credit to other participants, especially the Poles

No it didn't.

Just watched it. A Polish pilot was mentioned, IIRC with 54Sqn at Hornchurch. He was shot down on 15 August, but badly injured, and out of action for 2 years, never flying again.
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
I had forgotten his fleeting appearance :oops:

Tonight focuses on the 30th August so might well include F/O Paszkiewicz's action on that day, which was the basis for the "Repeat please" scene in the movie.

Rob P