Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Brooklands
A new documentary series: The Battle of Britain showing over the next three nights.

Blurb from the Radio Times: " Dan Snow and Kate Humble introduce a guide to the pivotal aerial battle. On 15th August 1940, the Battle of Britain begins - and Hitler wants the RAF wiped out."

No idea how good it will be, but as its C5 I wouldn't wind your expectations up to 11.

Brooklands
By Kemble Pitts
Brooklands wrote:No idea how good it will be, but as its C5 I wouldn't wind your expectations up to 11.

Brooklands

But it is Dan Snow, and he's no lemon. Gives some hope of a decent programme at least.
By flyguy
I've heard that it's actually pretty good.

My neighbour Lionel appears talking about his amazing mother Joan, who was a plotter during the Battle of Britain.

I flew her on what was supposed to be a gentle sightseeing trip on her 97th birthday. Many loops, rolls and stall turns later, we landed with huge grins. What an amazing lady!
Paul_Sengupta, Rob P, ChampChump and 3 others liked this
Kemble Pitts wrote:
Brooklands wrote:No idea how good it will be, but as its C5 I wouldn't wind your expectations up to 11.

Brooklands

But it is Dan Snow, and he's no lemon. Gives some hope of a decent programme at least.

And Kate Humble’s grandfather, Bill Humble was a test pilot for Hawker during WWII.

Ian
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
First quarter of an hour was so-so. But lots of nice air to air filming to counteract the creaky narration script delivered with lots of 'gravity'

Well worth a watch if you can avoid nitpicking

Rob P
By Highland Park
Rob P wrote:First quarter of an hour was so-so. But lots of nice air to air filming to counteract the creaky narration script delivered with lots of 'gravity'

Well worth a watch if you can avoid nitpicking

Rob P

Nice to hear about “less well known” fighter pilots (and I use the term “less” very carefully, as they're equally as important as the more famous ones). Also pleased to see that thus far, outtakes from The Battle of Britain film haven’t been used.

Awaiting the next two episodes with equal interest.

Ian
By Rob P
I do wish that unfortunate Spitfire heading inverted to crash in the Channel wasn't invariably used as a stand-in for a downed enemy aircraft though. Every time

Damn! Failed at the not nitpicking thing. :(

Rob P
JAFO, seanxair liked this
By Kemble Pitts
Crashing Spitfire aside, I thought it was rather watchable. Dan Snow is invariably good and the subject matter was a little more nuanced than is often the case.

They also seemed to show pictures of the right aircraft (Hurricane or Spitfire) in the context of the script - 'which was nice'.

(After The Fast Show).
By kanga
Highland Park wrote:..
And Kate Humble’s grandfather, Bill Humble was a test pilot for Hawker during WWII.

Ian

.. and her other grandfather, Stan Carter, was Bomber Command aircrew, shot down, PoW, and survived the 'Long March' in 1945 from Stalag Luft III to Lubeck :salut: