Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
The good news is that this just released CAA note wants pilots to be aware of the dangers resulting from Loss Of Control In flight (LOC-I) in the circuit.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplic ... il&id=9680

What would you add to this well intentioned advice?

Edit - Thanks to Tall Guy for the correct link!
Last edited by flyguy on Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flyguy wrote:What would you add to this well intentioned advice?

Add? Perfect as it is!

1. Go and fly circuits with an instructor after a pre-circuit brief including TEM;
2. Fly the thing in balance, always - most stall/spin accidents in gliding the result of 'overrudering' skidding the aeroplane making it a spin prone situation;
3. Be aware of the influence a tail or headwind will have 'on the picture' when you are making your low level turns;
4. If the picture is not right, go around;
5. On climb out ensure you have a good look out, avoid turns of more than 15 degrees when climbing.
6. Etc.

Any initiative to improve flight safety has to be welcomed; but a few extra paragraphs might not have gone amiss.

When writing the CAA should strive to write less when it comes to rules (and use plain English) and when it comes to flying they could write a bit more - and write plane English.
I think its pretty good actually, seems to have been written by someone that actually flies GA light aeroplanes. Presumably "Threat & Error check" is the new buzzword for what I would call "pre-flight planning & pre-flight brief"?

Regards, SD..
ls8pilot liked this
Looks like a similar campaign to the FAA #flysafe campaign launched back in 2015.

FAA 2015 wrote:Every month on FAA.gov, we provide pilots with Loss of Control solutions developed by a team of experts — some of which are already reducing risk.

https://www.faa.gov/news/search/?searchstring=flysafe

CAA 2020 wrote:Loss of control (LOC) is one of the leading safety issues in general aviation. This guidance is part of the our Stay in Control safety campaign to raise awareness of LOC issues and some of the ways to avoid an incident.

FAA Safety Briefing often has some good articles and Fact Sheets, as do the AOPA(US) Safety Advisors.

Cookie

The bit about what not to do if the turn from base to final takes the aircraft through final approach track for whatever reason.
(e.g. mis-judged wind, wind gust increases tail wind, passenger distraction, other RT distraction, birds distraction, or that some other aircraft unexpectedly appears on a longer final approach).
Having now had a chance to sit and read it my main comments would be

1) To my mind it is overwritten, possibly x2 as long as it really needs to be. Not a bad thing if you are settling down for a leisurely read, but not ideal in getting messages across. More so today as I am certain that people's attention span for written messages has decayed courtesy of Twitter and its ilk.

2) I have no idea what a threat and error check is. I would have appreciated a link from this phrase.

Rob P
skydriller liked this
Joe Dell wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:

Add? Perfect as it is!

5. On climb out ensure you have a good look out, avoid turns of more than 15 degrees when climbing..

Wouldn't that make the 90 degree turn onto crosswind impossible?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not! They mean a 15 degree bank angle limit.
No mention of bomber circuits.

Kick starting GA could be a good opportunity to try and break the habit of un-necessary bomber circuits.

Some people's flying habits are dictated by the wallet. So how about un-necessary bomber circuit = bomber landing fee!
Could be a nice earner for some airfields
Kemble Pitts liked this