Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By poetpilot
<fx: Norman Wisdom panicky voice>......

Without wishing to be insulting to the many new (or maybe they were just lurking...) users of the Phorum, it's obvious that there's a whole world out there dedicated to asking the same questions about Flying Abroad. Mainly US, some SA, other bits n pieces.

Would it not be feasible (Martin le Poi...) to set up a new forum on the topic of flying abroad? I'm sure us regulars must be getting RSI from typing the same replies to the same questions all the time... or even worse, some of us may start giving up........

I know we dont really want too many different forums, but this (and possibly a "learning to fly in the UK" forum also may guide people to pertinent and current information a bit quicker, and free the forum for the many new subjects that come up?
By Neil Gascoigne
"Wisdom, for once, I have to agree with you. Not that I like doing that you understand but in this case, I'll make an exception" :-)
By EdT
What may be preferable is a "FAQ" list - or Frequently Asked Questions, which can be extended to cover any frequently recurring topics.

EdT
By Ian (the original one)
I was thinking of suggesting a FAQ list too, but of course Irv Lee runs a good one of those - cant remember his web address off the top of my head.

Perhaps a "newbies" forum could be the answer, I do agree with Poet.
By Pilot Pete
Oi Poet,
When we had a Flyer air portal page to discuss all things related to the site and the forums -or is that fori. Not really sure on the plural. Anyway... you never used it! Now you come on ere whinging ;-)
Reasonable idea though.
Pete. :-)
By Ian (the original one)
PilotPete, Poetpilot has been posting here and on the old system for ages. When did you first post? :-}
By Pilot Pete
I think that you got the wrong end of the stick.
It was totaly tongue-in-cheek.
I just fancied 'avin' a pop at someone for fun.
Since you ask, not sure but around May 01
By poetpilot
S'OK I'm big enough to take it :-))))

Pilot Pete sounds sort of pirate-ish really (Pirot Pete maybe?)

.... I can just imagine him in his battered Grumman Goose, flying helmet with an eyepatch, skull n crossbones painted on the side of his battered 'craft......

"...Avast there, Poet! You'll never take me fish fingers away from me ! Take that....."

...I feel another poem coming on
By JT
Sorry Chaps but I'm afraid I don't agree. I'm a regular reader, if not poster to this Forum. If you're not interested in a particular thread then you simply don't click on it. Most of the threads carry titles which make it obvious as to what the subject is going to be about. (Admittedly, 'Mr Grimsdaaaaaale' doesn't hold too many clues and I know that I'm guilty of using obscure titles myself. There are very many postings to this Forum that have no relevance for me whatsoever. I mean, why would I want to know about the Special Branch in Newcastle? I live closer to France than I do Newcastle. The problem with FAQ pages is that the answers can very soon be out of date, especially with regards to Aviation rules and regulations.

Why does it matter that questions and topics are repeated? Just click on the next thread that interests you. You're not obliged to read every posting that comes along.

I'm against dividing the Forum. Let's stay as one big happy family.

(Standing by for literary abuse !)
By poetpilot
I see where you are coming from JT, but there are counter arguments....

1. Obscure titles give colour and interest (even if subsequently they may not be of interest to an individual). The injection of some humour from time to time makes us seem less elitist and anorakky (& more human & approachable) to "newbies"

2. "FAQ" threads are tedious to answer repetitively, but I'm sure we all want to help give "newbies" good and accurate information.
The last thing I would want is that the Forum is seen as an elitist bunch of people who refuse to answer FAQs.

Therefore (for example) a thread on US Flying may help "newbies" initially before they post their own query.

3. The location of Newcastle may not seem important to you, but I submit that's a selfish attitude. The concern was that SB might roll this policy out nationally, since UK legislation enabled them to do this in theory. Happily that has not occurred, but perhaps we (GA) could be permitted a small pat on the back for responding en masse to the Newcastle scenario.

4. Similarly a threatened airstrip in Outer Molesworthy might not be of direct interest to an aviator at the opposite end of the country, but an informed letter of support could help tip the balance and save the field.

I therefore submit that postings that may not be of immediate individual interest should be reviewed unselfishly to see if we can support each other. GA is a small enough community as it is.

BTW I'm a user, not an administrator of the forum, just need to make that clear cos I'm pontificating too much...
<pontificate mode OFF>