Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
Thanks all :salut:

Rob P
By Rallye
A question.In UK ,is it possible for a french pilote to speak only French ,knowing nothing in English ?
Why must the French pilots have an English certification for going outside France and why don't the English pilots need a French qualification when going on A/A FR in France ?
It is exactly the same situation.
By Rob P
No it is not exactly the same situation as English is the universal language for International ATC. That the French allow non-English ATC domestically is a purely national thing

Rob P
By Rallye
Rob P wrote:No it is not exactly the same situation as English is the universal language for International ATC. That the French allow non-English ATC domestically is a purely national thing

Rob P

Sorry,i don't agree.French is one of the international languages in aviation,like Russian,Chinees and English
By Rallye
[i]Countries always have the ability to use their own language at aerodromes where this is the only practical alternative - as is the case at Le Touquet during its off periods, and numerous other French airfields.
[/i]
It is in the threat.I accept that English is universal,but if you go to a foreign country where pilots speak French.Then you have to make the effort to speak French,like we have to speak English if we go to UK,or to all the other european countries.It is a minimum of courtesy and security.Most of the French pilots don't speak English.Imagine the danger on A/A FR only airfields.
kanga liked this
By Rob P
Precisely the reason I will always go to Albert not Amiens.

We are in total agreement.

Rob P
Rallye liked this
By 2Donkeys
Rallye wrote:Sorry,i don't agree.French is one of the international languages in aviation,like Russian,Chinees and English

Common mistake. Those languages are for written publications. English is the sole international spoken Aviation language.

Countries have the option of using their own language at lesser used domestic airfields. France pushes beyond even this as has been noted above.
By Flyin'Dutch'
2Donkeys wrote:
Rallye wrote:Sorry,i don't agree.French is one of the international languages in aviation,like Russian,Chinees and English

Common mistake. Those languages are for written publications. English is the sole international spoken Aviation language.

Countries have the option of using their own language at lesser used domestic airfields. France pushes beyond even this as has been noted above.

As do the Spanish, and this practise has led to accidents, including fatalities.

At least most use feet for altitudes and heights, there are some who use metres*

Niet tres bueno.

*no doubt allowed but not clever.
Rallye liked this
By G-BLEW
A few years ago I flew around Tunisia. There was one (I think) other UK aeroplane, but everyone else was French.

At one airport, the (French) aircraft ahead was talking to ATC in French, the Tunisian controller said, 'Sir, this is an international airport, use English please'

I'm hoping to go to Le Touquet today, where I'll have mon français in my back pocket, just in case it's needed.

Ian
2Donkeys, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By patowalker
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:As do the Spanish, and this practise has led to accidents, including fatalities.

Under ATC?
By 2Donkeys
patowalker wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:As do the Spanish, and this practise has led to accidents, including fatalities.

Under ATC?

Absolutely. The most obvious French example was a runway collision at de Gaulle in 2000. One of many links here
By skydriller
patowalker wrote:

Under ATC?

Not sure about Spain, but wasnt there a AF jet who's wing sliced through the cockpit of a BA regional jet at CDG where the accident report said a contributing factor was ATC using french leading to loss of situational awareness?

Ah, 2Ds beat me to it..
By MichaelP
Is it still a requirement to fly low and fast into Amiens?

I’ve used French in France, a little Thai in Thailand, but my Chinese Licence did not permit me to use Chinese! I don’t speak Mandarin so it’s just as well.

English proficiency is a requirement in your licence if you are to use it internationally.

It can be confusing at St Hubert near Montreal as both languages are used at the same time, and there have been incidents. Of course if you understand French you still have to listen very carefully as Quebecois is not the same, but they still say it only once.