Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
No personal attack or any such thing from me, as I said a regular user and supporter. I agreee with your comments I am just reporting what happened and my view that after three days one can normally expect a response to an e mail. I was enquiring if the airport was open, there is a fairly obvious difference between the customs hours/availability and the ATS service. I didnt want to find the field locked when i wanted to return. Although I am aware you can walk through the fence I have a slight concern about the Douane.
Pete L liked this
patowalker wrote:The lack of ATS makes no difference to airport availability, except A/A is FR only. Customs service is WED to SUN according to NOTAM, so no problem flying in on Sunday.

So; Slight (only slight) thread drift

You're approaching Calais VFR from UK on a FR Seulement day, you're ten NM out and expect to arrive in the overhead at 3.20pm local time :

Its July.

Lets have some examples of how you would announce on the radio your expected arrival time to the local FR masses in the circuit..

Interesting exercise I think.

2Ds and patowalker pls hold off temp.

Peter :wink:
(Edit for clarity and smart-arse deterrence)
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob P wrote:Overhead join at Le Touquet?

Not something I've ever encountered.

Rob P

I'm going to Calais: I said it was thread drift.....

prd222 and the last four posters were talking about Calais................

So was I

Peter :thumright:
OK, I have never seen an overhead join at Calais either, but for the sake of the question

"Bonjour Calais. Vans X-Ray Bravo. Estime cinq minutes"

Rob P
PeteSpencer liked this
prd222 wrote:Sent two e mails to Calais this week about Sunday access and customs. One in English one in french. No response to either. Regular user and rather disappointed.
My first choice but these days i think it is easy enough to respond to e mails and encourage traffic.

Try their Facebook page, replied to me within a couple of hours...

https://www.facebook.com/aeroportgrandcalais/
prd222 wrote: I didnt want to find the field locked when i wanted to return. Although I am aware you can walk through the fence I have a slight concern about the Douane.

Can you? I spent a rather desperate twenty minutes looking for a way through a few months ago. All fences, gates and doors looked hermetically sealed to me. Eventually someone in the restaurant noticed my plight and opened the terrace door, but it was clearly not an expected route in.
"Calais Bonjour, TB-dix India Tango, dix mile nord pour arrivee verticale".

I don't think the point is to be word perfect in the language, rather to be clear what you're doing.
Calais, G-XXXX, DR400 de Lydd, Angleterre, 5 minutes a l'ouest a 4000 pieds en decent a 1500 pieds pour la verticale.

Calais, G-XXXX, DR400 de Lydd, Angleterre, 1 minute a l'ouest a 2000 pieds en decent a 1500 pieds pour la verticale.

Calais, G-XXXX, DR400 vertical le terrain a 1500 pieds pour integration en circuit pour le 06.

Calais, G-XXXX, vent arriere pour le 06.

Calais, G-XXXX, etape de base pour le 06.

Calais, G-XXXX, finale 06.

Calais, G-XXXX, j'ai degage la piste.
PeteSpencer liked this
You can get away with:

Calais, G-XXXX, 5 minute ouest, 4000 pieds.
Calais, G-XXXX, 1 minute ouest, 2000 pieds.
Calais, G-XXXX, vertical 1500 pieds.
Calais, G-XXXX, vent arriere 06.
Calais, G-XXXX, etape de base 06.
Calais, G-XXXX, final 06.
I'd use the wording expressed in this.

Except that for simplicity it suggests using individual digits for the runway direction, whereas apparently if you don't use fully constituted numbers then people will die. ;)
I suppose the point I was trying to make is that as it's FR seulement one would prolly not go the whole ICAO hog so long as its intelligible.

I've noticed that most of the cribsheets start at the circuit but don't include preliminary introductory contact ten miles out.

Also whenever I've been in a FR seulement circuit the FRs almost invariab ly give the time of arrival as 'heure locale' which in July would be 2 hours ahead of ICAO recommended H 24 UTC.

The use of UK style 'minute 20' would get around any confusion but this isn't in any of the crib sheets I've seen.

Peter
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave W wrote:I'd use the wording expressed in this.

Me too.

Which since it is oddly identical to the guide for Brits using Calais as produced by Alex who runs the place, seems a sensible course of action.

Rob P
PeteSpencer liked this
For those who are interested in the official chapter and verse of phraseology of all types of flight VFR and IFR, in the cruise and not just in the circuit , the 'Manuel de Phraseologie' is available as a free PDF download from the SIA website:

It's 270 pages long and required a smidge of French as the rubric is all in French,

However the R/T exchanges are all in French/English and the chapter titles are pretty much self explanatory, and is a good reference volume..If you wand a hard copy its 30€.

It also has a comprehensive introduction dealing with the pronunciation of runway numbers, frequencies etc, which in some cribsheets are left unhelpfully as figures.

Peter