Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Aircraft noise (and noise from motorbikes, cars, vans, buses, ... ) is more noticeable after a prolonged period of relative quietness.

Didn't realise until the recent spell of good weather when I was working while sitting out in my back yard that an A350 at 39,000ft made quite so much of a racket! I thought these new fangled airliners were supposed to be quiet!

oldbiggincfi wrote:I can't stop the birds singing l

I was on a conference video call from said back yard, and one of my friends complained about the noise of the birds from my end.
It was harder for the general public to make false accusations of low flying/noisy operations in the old days when they had to be able to read the registration directly off the aircraft (without using binoculars) and describe what the aircraft looked like. Presumably even harder if they had to follow up with paperwork to post.
By chevvron
Beware of an organisation calling itself the 'Aviation Environment Federation' (previously known as the 'Airfield Environment Federation') getting involved in any complaints.
Years ago (early '70s), I saw a letter from them in a local newspaper for Herts and South Bucks; it referred to an aircraft accident to an instructional flight which happened at or near Elstree and it stated that in their opinion, 'flying training should not take place over land but over the sea'.
I can't say any more without it getting political.
Last edited by chevvron on Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pete, it's an old thread now, but thank you for posting it. I own Priors Farm and an aware of the firefly from WW that regularly does it's training over you and I. Our complainant has made himself obvious and I am in discussion with him. We are not closed, just very much PPR and limiting flying here for fear of prying eyes... I shall not give in to incoming new residents who have a power trip as to their locality to us and their displeasure to aviation... I must of course adhere to the 28 day laws to avoid enforcement closure (already was hence my message saying we aren't finished). Tough times for aviation and I would love to put a point on the map for fellow aviators to enjoy long into the future... Easy to say, more difficult do do with legislation and fresh locals who think they can buy or force their way into owning both their view and the sky above them.
Smaragd, StratoTramp, november romeo and 8 others liked this
By Flintstone
Georgepriors wrote:... the firefly from WW that regularly does it's training over you and I.

Can you not contact the operator at WW and ask them to bugg............. I mean, vary their training area?
TopCat, johnm liked this
By PeteSpencer
Flintstone wrote:
Georgepriors wrote:... the firefly from WW that regularly does it's training over you and I.

Can you not contact the operator at WW and ask them to bugg............. I mean, vary their training area?

Direct contact usually works: We needed to contact an outfit not a million miles away when they started regularly using, without PPR, our nice long/wide grass strip for their tailwheel conversion course, riding roughshod over our noise abatement guidelines.... :shock:
If I was a bit more computer savvy, I'd like to start a database for Complainers and Airfield objectors.

It would be somewhere where airfields could register their received complaints and we could also collect the details of airfield planning objectors from the planning websites.
Once it was nicely growing I'd contact Rightmove and Zoopla to show them how they could offer a service to housebuyers.

Via the database housebuyers could see where not to purchase, as the previous owner experienced trouble with aircraft noise and needed to object.

Personally I'd not want my house to be self devalued by being on the database. :D

"Good afternoon sir XXXX airfield, how can I help?........oh a noise complaint? Thank you for your call, can I take your name and address for our complaints database please. Click Burrrrrrrrrrr .....Sir, Sir are you still there?

Just a thought.
RichJordan, anglianav8r liked this