Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
Robin500 wrote:These kind of noise complaints really do raise my blood pressure. Admittedly I don't live close to an airfield, but aircraft noise is frequent, especially from the RAF's Grobs.

Dunno about Tutors but I know the Vigilants were noisy when operated in fine pitch.
I fail to understand the "mechanics" by which a council can close a private garden for landing an aircraft if the council do not own the property. In what way does communication take place ?
I can understand a Neighbour taking out an injunction on the basis of nuisance .
Assuming I'm fortunate enough to have 1000 metres of nice straight lawn and have no building planning issues , surely it's my choice in what I do with it , even to landing my aeroplane .

Now, I also have a horse which I like to gallop along my lawn and sometimes my friend brings his horse and we gallop along together.
I fail to understand how a council can stop this .
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
oldbiggincfi wrote:I fail to understand the "mechanics" by which a council can close a private garden for landing an aircraft if the council do not own the property. In what way does communication take place ?

Not an expert, but I thought they could effectively use planning regulations to nullify the 28 day rule.
Will ask my neighbour if I see him, he lost his right to land his helicopter in his paddock 28 days of the year.
By CloudHound
Curtilage is the important word.

Planning case law was set a few years ago when someone tried to overturn a planning enforcement notice stopping them operate from land they claimed to be a garden.

Whether it was or it wasn't the Judge ruled against.

There's the 28 day rule alleviation but a local Sussex airstrip had action taken last year for breaching that and attracting complaints.
Aircraft noise (and noise from motorbikes, cars, vans, buses, ... ) is more noticeable after a prolonged period of relative quietness. The general public sensitivity to aircraft noise should reduce once everyone on the ground drowns it out with more motoring as they evolve their new normal. There are still a lot of drivers off the road as they are still shielding, and it is possible those furloughed are driving less too. There are very few more readily acceptable ground based activities that don't create some sort of noise.

The general background noise will also increase once the airlines get back into passenger flights. (Remember the difference from 9/11 how quiet it became in the UK once a lot of transatlantic flights stopped).

One thing that is missing from UK charts that you get on French charts is an indication of aerobatic activity in an area.... maybe we need more ATZ's (Aerobatic Traffic Zones) simply to indicate straight and level cruising is not to be expected!

Hmmm overloading the abbreviation... how about VTZ (Voltige Traffic Zone).

The last thing we need to do is make the general public aware of publicly accessible flight tracking facilities as that can lead to false accusations if there are N planes in an area but only a subset are shown. "It must have been that one as there were no others in the area on <insert flight tracker>"
By CloudHound
Sat in Ops pretending to be in charge of Manchester Airport I took a noise complaint from the switchboard. We did this at the weekends as Noise Monitoring were Mon - Fri.

It was a very angry man from northwest of Bolton complaining about incessant noise from an acrobatic (sic) aircraft over his house every Sunday.

I normally asked people why they thought a) it was from MAN and b) what they thought I could do about it; a lady in Sheffield was my record distance.

He was on transmit and getting very, very angry so I played it straight asking him if he could describe the a/c, colour, number of wings etc. This was the late 1990s, so no FR24.

As he gave me the description I realised he was watching a friend of mine in his yellow Pitts S1 practising s Standard Routine over the reservoir west of Winter Hill. I thanked him for his report, said I'd make a note and do what I could to stop it happening again.

That evening I made a phone call. " Hi ****, good flight this afternoon?"
By PeteSpencer
Full column by Jeremy Clarkson in today's Sun describing the effect of resumption of GA flying near his gaff on his attempts to carry out filming.

Described in colourful tones and worth a read as his column always is.

Edited to pre-empt criticism of politics, religion, racism, sexism.

Peter
It is preposterous and I pointed this out to a complainer recently from Hartley Wintney. (2nm west of EGLK) and just outside our ATZ. Because our planning agreement says we will direct aircraft not to overfly the village, we get complaints when they see a single aircraft who does which I am obliged to follow up with the pilot.

Contrast with where I live (Hook, 4nm west of EGLK). On a clear summers day I can see 30 or 40 lowish aircraft, whether BizJets into EGLF, GA stuff to/ from EGLK, or just general GA in the area. And that’s not including the Odiham traffic.

How is it that this normal Aviation activity is acceptable for most of us up and down the county, but because you happen to live in a village on the outskirts of an airport you are able to not only benefit from virtually no overflights, but have a right to complain when one actually does.
By Human Factor
PeteSpencer wrote:Full column by Jeremy Clarkson in today's Sun describing the effect of resumption of GA flying near his gaff on his attempts to carry out filming.

Described in colourful tones and worth a read as his column always is.

Edited to pre-empt criticism of politics, religion, racism, sexism.

Peter

Where does he live? Just so I can avoid it of course.
By Sir Morley Steven
ChrisGazzard wrote:He’s not a councillor although he did stand once and lost rather spectacularly!

PS to the OP sorry about the one from our Gaff doing the PFLs over Firs Farm the other night - he said he got in touch to apologise.

My bad but can I be allowed a little schadenfreude for the trouncing?
By skydriller
ChrisGazzard wrote:How is it that this normal Aviation activity is acceptable for most of us up and down the county, but because you happen to live in a village on the outskirts of an airport you are able to not only benefit from virtually no overflights, but have a right to complain when one actually does.

I dunno, you run an aerodrome, do you tell complainers to fark off, or do you note the complaint and follow up?? :wink:

Just askin'...(after a couple of glasses of nice bordeaux....)

Cheers, SD... :drunken:
By Rob L
PeteSpencer wrote:Full column by Jeremy Clarkson in today's Sun ....

Peter

I didn't see you as a Sun reader, Pete. :cry: I personally cannot stand Clarkson (or Hammond for that matter).
By PeteSpencer
Rob L wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Full column by Jeremy Clarkson in today's Sun ....

Peter

I didn't see you as a Sun reader, Pete. :cry: I personally cannot stand Clarkson (or Hammond for that matter).

There is one simple reason, Rob:

Now the tits have gone I just buy the Saturday Sun as, for a mere 75p, I get a pretty reasonable weekly tv/satellite/freeview programme guide;

Beats hands down the £2.75 per week I used to pay for the Radio Times................

I'm ambivalent about Clarkson, but I find there are moments when reading him I find (just like when I'm watching Farage) myself nodding in agreement.

I don't think that makes me a bad person.

My main ride is of course, the DT, who from time to time even publish my letters.

I guess my thesis is that unless you sample what the great unwashed are being fed, and are devouring, you can't be too critical of their opinions....

In my early years I was (looks left and right and ducks) a Guardian reader. :roll:

Peter :thumleft:
JAFO, Hawkwind liked this
By avtur3
PeteSpencer wrote:You tell them that the complaint will be logged and has legally to be disclosed to prospective buyers if they ever put their house on the market.

Peter :roll:

That is a very good point. Some time ago, very late 90's, we had a desperate noise/behaviour problem with our neighbour in the other half of our semi. We formalised complaints with the local authority on a couple of occasions, in the hope that matters would be resolved .... of course dealing with people who cause such problems the complaints meant nothing.

The level of problem was so extreme we decided to move house, and the truth is we lied through our teeth on the questionnaires we had to complete prior to sale. The statute of limitations for what we did was 6 years at the time and what we did was a concern all that time.

Having moved house within the last two years I know that given a similar situation we would have been found out, I dread to think what the consequences would be. So in the current climate anyone lodging a complaint with the local authority should really consider if there is chance it could backfire on them in a way as to make their sale more difficult.