Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By NDB_hold
@chevvron you should pay them a visit. You’ll still find non-uniformed volunteers and staff cadets. It’s not vastly different, although it is smaller.
kanga liked this
By Dominie
ls8pilot wrote:...Why does a field operating a handful of gliders need 12 nm sq of airspace to 2000ft AGL when most gliding clubs and many small GA fields operate 10 20 or 30 times that volume of movements without? Is the answer not to get people to avoid the overhead of "G" marked fields?

It's made worse by the standard size of an ATZ - gliding sites do not need a 2nm radius when the major danger is cables overhead. Maybe the response to the accidents referred to is better conspicuity, not more radio chat!

If you combine this with the planned BZN extension to the North it obstructs of a massive area to East/West transit.

Absolutely. Yesterday I flew back to Enstone eastwards between LR and the current BZN zone. The gap is only 4 nm, so an ATZ of 2nm radius will leave a single line to fly with 1nm either side and thus create a significant choke point. If you then decide to avoid the ATZ by flying to the north then Stow-on-the-Wold will suffer a lot of extra noise...
By chevvron
Dominie wrote:
Absolutely. Yesterday I flew back to Enstone eastwards between LR and the current BZN zone. The gap is only 4 nm, so an ATZ of 2nm radius will leave a single line to fly with 1nm either side and thus create a significant choke point. If you then decide to avoid the ATZ by flying to the north then Stow-on-the-Wold will suffer a lot of extra noise...

I trust you kept a careful lookout when passing the private strip just south of Moreton - in - Marsh (the town not the airfield!)
By Dominie
Dave W wrote:The one that isn't on the chart or in SkyDemon?

And it's also a long way north of where I was flying yesterday... I think Chevvron got lost
Last edited by Dominie on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By chevvron
Dominie wrote:
Dave W wrote:The one that isn't on the chart or in SkyDemon?

And it's also a long way north of where I was flying yesterday... I think Chevvron got lost

Long time since I was in the area; got it in my head that Stow was north of Moreton but it's the other way round isn't it. :oops:
Can't see the strip on present satellite photos anyway. :roll:
By xtophe
If anyone want to provide feedback to this ACP, to not wait for the consultation website to become active.
As it is not a level 1 ACP, the airspacechange.caa.co.uk website confused it self. So contrary to what is written in the consultation document, you need to email to provide your comment.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I dont think that Little Rissington is a licensed aerodrome, yet gets an ATZ, is that possible because it is a government aerodrome? ISTR Turweston could not retain its ATZ as they are no longer licensed.

If that is indeed the case then it is of course a tad ironic that it is not infrequent that the military fail to avoid Turweston (with the excuse we dont know it is busy) and yet the military get an ATZ as they fancy one.

* I think an ATZ around LR is a good idea as too many people are not able to understand that active airfields should not be overflown in the overhead if there is winch launching denoted by the little G sign, clearly they need three letters.
Ian Melville liked this
By Skylaunch2
As always, one rule for the military, another rule for the other unlicenced airfields that lost their ATZs with 50 times the moments of Little Rissington's small setup.

MAGCS will need to be provided regardless of if the Gliders are flying or not, otherwise the ATZ should be handed back as the Syerston one is right?

Let's hope they are a bit more pragmatic before trying to find a reason to look at another similar situation, Kenley.