Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I thought this was a useful document, and well worth taking the time to read as a bit of a refresher.

In summary, a NOTAM might well have a headline of XYZ airspace is deactivated between two dates, but unless you read the whole thing, you'll miss the bit that says it only applies between 1am and 3am (or whatever).

As ever, never assume, trust but verify, PPPPP etc. etc.

Ian
kanga liked this
A more useful document would be a NOTAM creation handbook that describes how to clearly and unambiguously write the damn' things such that those kind of daft traps simply couldn't exist.

IMO.
flybymike, Tim Dawson, Dominie and 15 others liked this
I must admit - looking at the Sky Demon representation, with all of the CTA highlighted green and a link to a NOTAM saying it is deactivated, I can see how it would be a easy mistake to make (not to double check the schedule part of the NOTAM). SD is so good at decoding NOTAMs I'd be guilty about assuming that the schedule had been decoded, allowing it currently to be deactivated and so depicted green.

Minor note also - currently they haven't decoded the NOTAM against the CTR - only the CTA, so if you just select the CTR it doesn't appear.
if you look carefully at the image on the AirSpace initiative page you can see that the green mark is only on the CTA side of the line (and it is proven if you tap and hold on the CTR).

The most helpful thing anybody could do regarding comprehension of these things would be to simply start the NOTAM text with “Overnight deactivation of airspace”. It’s all it would take.
riverrock, bogopper, johnm and 14 others liked this
Yes, indeed.

Call me old-fashioned but ISTM that this sort of thing rarely lacks or needs aircrew input; it needs the writer to consider the wording predominantly from the POV of the reader - the User of the information - and what they need to know.

Not the convenience of the originator.

See also: Part.FCL etc.
Tim Dawson, Stampe, G-BLEW and 6 others liked this
As ever, I agree with Dave W (but am not as eloquent as him)
To my mind, ability to understand the rules could be a start.
This morning:

RAF BENSON ATZ REMAINS ACTIVE AT ALL TIMES FOR POLICE, AIR
AMBULANCE AND OTHER RAF BENSON BASED AIRCRAFT. ATC OPERATING HOURS
ARE SUBJECT TO OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
THU 1230-1730, 2030-0200
FRI 1100-1400
SAT-SUN CLOSED
NATIONAL STANDBY, THAMES VALLEY AIR AMBULANCE, NATIONAL POLICE AIR
SERVICE OPR NOT AFFECTED. ACFT WISHING TO TRANSIT THE MATZ ARE TO
ATTEMPT TO ESTABLISH CONTACT WITH BENSON ZONE ON 120.900MHZ. IF NO
RESPONSE AFTER 3 ATTEMPTS, MAKE BLIND CALLS WITH INTENTIONS TO
BENSON TRAFFIC ON 127.150MHZ.
ENTRY INTO THE MATZ ONLY IS PERMITTED, NOT THE ATZ

Please, how can an ATZ be permitted to exist when ATC is closed?
MATZs: 'are to' & 'permitted' are not revelant to non military traffic.
(I would, of course, play nicely)
Dave W liked this
NDB_hold wrote:Good to see that one's been rewritten - previously it allowed room for misinterpretation, apparently.

I was at Finningley once for an Air Cadet instructors course. We arrived sunday and at 3am next morning a TACEVAL was called and a short time later I heard a stream of aircraft taxying and departing presumably to a MEDA or another H24 station.
That's one reason for notifying an ATZ as H24.
Dave W wrote:TACEVAL at Finningley?

1960s or very early '70s then, I guess?

Mid '80s; it was the ANS by then (Dominies and JPs) and it was a Nav Instructor course for Air Cadet personnel.
They knew it was about to happen; when we arrived we were told 'when you hear the sirens, just stay in bed, don't do anything and especially don't leave your room until breakfast'.
Course when we did go to breakfast about 7am, the kitchen staff had already been on duty for several hours!
but unless you read the whole thing, you'll miss the bit that says it only applies between 1am and 3am (or whatever).

I despair. Why is this obscure/outdated format still being used in 2020?

Please, how can an ATZ be permitted to exist when ATC is closed?

AFAIK it's allowed for military fields only - I believe for security reasons. It may be better described as R or P airspace when military ATC are not around to serve 'other' traffic.
Bobcro liked this