Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
patowalker wrote:Good! This removes the uncertainty surrounding the validity of my LAPL in the EU next year. I will re-classify my 480kg Eurostar as a microlight and fly abroad on my PPL (A) M. :D

Easy Tiger! it's new types only!

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1920%20450-600kg%20Consultation%20Response.pdf
Sooty25 wrote:
patowalker wrote:Good! This removes the uncertainty surrounding the validity of my LAPL in the EU next year. I will re-classify my 480kg Eurostar as a microlight and fly abroad on my PPL (A) M. :D

Easy Tiger! it's new types only!

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1920%20450-600kg%20Consultation%20Response.pdf

Not so. SOME existing types will be able to be recertified to a higher weight than now.
The worrying part is that folk will simply say, "I've got an existing microlight, so now I can stuff loads more fuel and baggage in it.". And then they'll come a cropper...
Bear in mind that the microlight training syllabus doesn't include the importance of weight and balance calcs, and how to do them.
Kemble Pitts wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote:If you read the CAA document it does say 'New Types only'.

Only new types can opt out, but microlights are already 'out'. So, if the microlight manufacturer wants to re-certify at a higher MAUW then he can do that.

So, perhaps I need educating here..
Assuming you are correct, and I have no reason to doubt it, explain to me why a microlight manufacturer would be interested in recertifying a used microlight to a higher MAUW? What is in it for them in doing this to a used aircraft?
See point 4.2 (d)

4.2 The change of regulation necessary to take up this opt-out cannot be formally enacted until all necessary measures are in place, and we are initiating an implementation project in collaboration with the BMAA and LAA. The key tasks are anticipated to be:
a) Amend the ANO definition of ‘Microlight Aeroplanes’ with an interim exemption.
b) Amend the ANO to allow NPPL(A)s and UK PPL(A)s to credit their time in microlights, with a permission for the interim.
c) Revise, consult on and publish a new edition of BCAR Section S to provide certification basis for opted-out aircraft.
d) Develop a programme for re-certifying existing microlight types.
e) Develop a communications plan for implementation with the community, including airworthiness and flight crew licensing roadmaps.
f) Undertake a review of existing non-UK regulatory frameworks for design and production with an aim of maximising mutual recognition and thus easing the burden of entry into the UK market.