Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Bruntingthorpe the home of the cold war jet collection and various preservation groups is closing, the various organisations have until the end of Oct to move their aircraft world they will most likely end up being scrapped.

All because they are going to park thousands of unsold new cars at 50p per car per day.

https://www.bruntingthorpe.com/aviation
Sounds like a simple business decision to me.

Work out how many unsold new cars you can fit into the same space as a cold war jet, multiply up that 50p per car per day and see if you arrive at a number that a preservation group might be able to pay for parking......nope.
defcribed wrote:Sounds like a simple business decision to me.

Work out how many unsold new cars you can fit into the same space as a cold war jet, multiply up that 50p per car per day and see if you arrive at a number that a preservation group might be able to pay for parking......nope.

The Bruntingthorpe publicity machine claims they have a 670-acre site, at a ballpark 150 cars-per-acre ( a figure used in supermarket car park planning), that's space for up to 100,000 cars. That's easy money for Cox Automotive who are apparently the recent new owners of the site.

Looks like there may be one last fast-taxi event in August, subject to virus imposed limitations.

Very sad.
Lockhaven wrote:Bruntingthorpe the home of the cold war jet collection and various preservation groups is closing, the various organisations have until the end of Oct to move their aircraft world they will most likely end up being scrapped.

All because they are going to park thousands of unsold new cars at 50p per car per day.

https://www.bruntingthorpe.com/aviation

What Lockhaven doesn't state above is that the press release: Does not mention moving aircraft by Oct, does not state anything about scrapping, DOES mention the previous owner is looking to build so aircraft can be relocated to a part of the airfield not subject to the lease by the car firm.

Which of course puts a slightly less negative view on the thing than his personal interpretation obviously did.
one of these days the aviation community will wake up and start thinking about how we fund purchasing airfields as they come on the market, rather than just sitting on its **** and crying after the event.
My belief is that David Walton has been battling for years to keep aviation extant at Bruntingthorpe, but his siblings/family (?) have had an eye to more commercial ventures.

To me this news is not new, but unwelcome nonetheless :cry: .

Looks like the family have finally won, hence David looking for elsewhere to house some aircraft. I don't accurately know David's involvement in C. Walton Ltd, but I suspect he's been out-voted by his family members. He has my sympathy.

I operated the A/G there occasionally for their fast-run jet days; they were very good fun and there were many in the crowds. David welcomed the GA community to fly in. Nowhere else in the world can the public be that close to a runway for an aviation event like that, because there are no take-offs (cough :oops: best not mention that one! )

David has aviation coursing through his blood stream.

Bruntingthorpe is of where the "Vulcan-to-the-Sky" was restored; I believe there were some "discussions" about hangar rental during that time that VTS were doing the rebuild; I don't know if the finances were ever reconciled.

A personal anecdote:
On the occasion that XH558 first returned to Bruntingthorpe and carried out a full-stop landing during one of the fast-jet days one May, and everything was closing down at about 4pm, I leaned out of the A/G mobile unit to hear Martin Withers talking to the aviation Press about nowhere local to re-train pilots for their Airshow Validation.

Coventry (which they commonly used) was closed due to ATC manning issues, so I leaned down & suggested Leicester.
Martin asked "Will it be licenced after 5pm?"
"Wait a minute!" and I call Leicester to ask if the airfield staff could delay going home to maintain the Licence for incoming.

The Vulcan soon took off from Bruntingthorpe and then spent about a half-hour in the Leicester ATZ re-validating the aircrew Airshow validations. There were some videos around at the time, but it took me too long to drive from Brunters to Leicester to see any of the action. Those videos are still out there in Social Media somewhere.

All re-validations were approved! All they needed was a "Licenced Aerodrome" :eye: . Martin Withers was an absolute gent :thumleft: .

Sorry for the long tale.

Rob
Rob P, Paul_Sengupta, pilotbarry and 12 others liked this
Martin asked "Will it be licenced after 5pm?"
"Wait a minute!" and I call Leicester to ask if the airfield staff could delay going home to maintain the Licence for incoming.

Great that they stayed, but the CAA Ordinary Aerodrome Licence is on duty 24/7 365.

As my colleague Sue the Licensing Office said endlessly “You can’t be a bit pregnant”

So the flight if not requiring the use of a licensed Aerodrome was good to go.

ps Stand by for further good news about relocations :thumleft: