Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Sooty25 wrote:
TLRippon wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:Withdrawing TEL could be a damn good excuse for so many LAA maintained "lycsaurus" types to be dragged into this millenium. Improved ignition and fueling systems would solve the problem without scrapping.

Edge performance are probably already there for a number of engines with this kit

https://shop.edgeperformance.no/en/home/381-efi-ignition-for-lycomingcontinental.html

It just needs to become an LAA standard mod.

.....and be damned with all the certified owners.

Not at all, once there is a 100 or so LAA types flying reliably with converted engines, it will make justification for modifying certified aircraft more acceptable. We would be your "guinea pigs". :thumleft:

If only it worked like that.
oldbiggincfi wrote:
skydriller wrote:
Sooty25 wrote: It just needs a bit of research and no resistance to certified modifications.

If someone gave me the option of converting a £50k 300hp engine to run on UL91, for say £5k with the compromise being 280hp, I'd do that rather than scrap the aeroplane. It may not even cost that if tweaking the timing is all that is required.

The trouble is, if you have a little think about that, reducing peak power output by 20hp would introduce all sorts of knock-on performance effects which you really do need to certify are actually acceptable for the overall aeroplane. Remember, for a 200hp Bulldog reduced to 180hp, that is a 10% power reduction...

Regards, SD..

Take out the spark plugs and throw away . Fit injectors in it's place. Fit a turbo . Find somewhere to make a glow . Bottom ends are big and strong .
The call this company for a new pistons.
https://newatlas.com/new-technology-tur ... esel/4695/
Fill with half price Jet Fuel ( available almost anywhere ) and knockeddy knock , off you go.

During my misspent youth of riding motorcycles a friend of mine was getting low on fuel and inadvertently filled up with diesel at a self service pump.
We told him to kick it over quick while it was still hot. This was a standard 650 BSA twin with a carburettor, circa 1958. It ran perfectly all the way home. Next morning involved a complete strip down, but proved that it can be done.
Crash one wrote:During my misspent youth of riding motorcycles a friend of mine was getting low on fuel and inadvertently filled up with diesel at a self service pump.

During the 3 Day or less week in the 70's with no electric and garages shut I ran out of fuel somewhere near Streatham on my way home to Twickenham from Biggin Hill. My Sit up & Beg Ford E93A Prefect stopped by Shilling in the slot paraffin dispenser . Got me home but was a bit difficult to start next day . Filled carburettor bowl with petrol and off I went and never knew the difference.
During the war my father converted several boat engines from petrol to paraffin . Some were requisitioned for Dunkirk.
No doubt a conversion would involve skimming a few millimetres off the cylinder head or fitting longer pistons, all of which will need gold plating at vast expense, with reams of even more expensive paperwork and carried out by the highest qualified rocket scientists in the land, before the crazy notion will stand a chance of nearly being successful .
STOP USING LEAD. Mitigate the engines that can't tolerate lead free fuel, which includes changing the engines out, replacing engines or grounding the aircraft. The COVID19 response shows that we can make brutal choices that benefit us all.
It's a painful, delicious experience reading what is 'acceptable' 'minor' 'doesn't make much difference' IT'S POISONOUS
Time to stop being stupid and move on, or die. I think we can be better than this, if you don't history will bury you.
neilmurg wrote:STOP USING LEAD. Mitigate the engines that can't tolerate lead free fuel, which includes changing the engines out, replacing engines or grounding the aircraft. The COVID19 response shows that we can make brutal choices that benefit us all.
It's a painful, delicious experience reading what is 'acceptable' 'minor' 'doesn't make much difference' IT'S POISONOUS
Time to stop being stupid and move on, or die. I think we can be better than this, if you don't history will bury you.

Please send me a cheque or bankers Draft for the value of my recently purchaced aircraft and I'll try not to be offended by your single minded attitude, I'll try to stop being stupid and try to move on. I'll try to see where the brutal choices benefit me.

Until it arrives ( your cheque) please tone down your self righteousness.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
neilmurg wrote:STOP USING LEAD. Mitigate the engines that can't tolerate lead free fuel, which includes changing the engines out, replacing engines or grounding the aircraft. The COVID19 response shows that we can make brutal choices that benefit us all.

Drinking too much water is poisonous. However there is no problem if you don't drink too much.

There isn't evidence that the small amount of lead output from AVGAS causes health problems.
Therefore the rest of your comment falls.
By skydriller
neilmurg wrote: The COVID19 response shows that we can make brutal choices that benefit us all..

Says you. I get the distinct impression that you havent been totally screwed over by the last 3 months of madness, unlike millions of others that have lost their livelihoods and havent been able to get the routine medical treatments they should.

Some might say the world has been brought to it knees financially and set back 10years by scared politicians to tack a few extra years onto the end of the lives of the wealthy and priviliged of the west.
Pilot Pete wrote:Please send me a cheque or bankers Draft for ... I'll try not to be offended ...Until it arrives ( your cheque) please tone down your self righteousness.
OK, as long as you promise to hold your breath until it arrives.
I love it when people come up with the simple solution to a problem that no one else has thought of.
So here’s mine.
Build an electric motor that self generates its own power requirement, use that to drive a generator, and then the prop motor. Simple. No batteries, no fuel, no poison, no problem.
Crash one wrote:I love it when people come up with the simple solution to a problem that no one else has thought of.
So here’s mine.
Build an electric motor that self generates its own power requirement, use that to drive a generator, and then the prop motor. Simple. No batteries, no fuel, no poison, no problem.

I'm in :D

Give you a £1 to fund it :doh:
By riverrock
Crash one wrote:I love it when people come up with the simple solution to a problem that no one else has thought of.
So here’s mine.

Could your electric motor be driven by a RAT? The faster you go, the more it will spin and generate energy for the prop motor.

Sounds like a great idea worth exploring!
oldbiggincfi wrote:
So here’s mine.

I'm in :D

Give you a £1 to fund it :doh:

That’s plenty, very generous, I’ll get right on it :thumleft:
riverrock wrote:
So here’s mine.

Could your electric motor be driven by a RAT? The faster you go, the more it will spin and generate energy for the prop motor.

Sounds like a great idea worth exploring!

I have some rats under my shed, I shall stop shooting them and put them to work running round in circles! :D