Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
#1785413
rf3flyer wrote:While I enjoy the man's videos and admire his energy, enthusiasm, and ability, that's not the sort of panel I care for.
Not that my opinion matters since it's not my aeroplane...just saying.


I love glass, but it does look a little like an 1980 Amstrad HiFi stack

Ian
Sooty25, gaxor, nallen and 1 others liked this
#1785427
rf3flyer wrote:While I enjoy the man's videos and admire his energy, enthusiasm, and ability, that's not the sort of panel I care for.
Not that my opinion matters since it's not my aeroplane...just saying.


Saves you having to look out of the window.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
#1785530
rf3flyer wrote:While I enjoy the man's videos and admire his energy, enthusiasm, and ability, that's not the sort of panel I care for.
Not that my opinion matters since it's not my aeroplane...just saying.

Never mind the panel, is it your sort of aeroplane? :wink:
#1785566
@rf3flyer flying aside how about maintenance costs, how much avgas do you think it will burn? :wink:

Out of interest, in his live feed the other night he said that when he was stopped from competing in Draco he reduced the insurance from $1.6m to $300k before totalling it. Apparently he was left a little out of pocket. :shock: I would imagine a custom built aircraft such as Scrappy will attract a hefty insurance premium. Be an interesting exercise putting a value on it.
#1785570
Miscellaneous wrote:@rf3flyer flying aside how about maintenance costs, how much avgas do you think it will burn? :wink:

I have no idea but it brings to mind a conversation I had more than 4 decades ago with a man who was in aircraft maintenance with the RAF towards the end of WWII. Talking about the Merlin in Spitfires I think he said that at take-off power it burned 80 gph! (Presumably Imp gal and I don't know which model he was speaking about)

Scrappy won't burn that, I don't think, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was around half that. So in the cruise maybe 30-35 US gph! That's a pure guess but whatever, I'd hate to pay the fuel bill!

Maintenance costs will be trivial in bucks but possibly fairly severe in hours but Mike Patey seems to have plenty of those.
#1785578
rf3flyer wrote:Maintenance costs will be trivial in bucks but possibly fairly severe in hours but Mike Patey seems to have plenty of those.

I think he has plenty of both. He is already planning his next project when he can't sleep at nights. Sounds interesting too. In fact he is contemplating building 2 simultaneously. I think Scrappy is his 14th aircraft build. I get the impression much of his engineering skill comes from his 'condition', as may well the lack of need for sleep.