Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
User avatar
By defcribed
#1778465
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Or as much sense as preserving golf courses for people to have fun hitting a ball around, or cricket, football or rugby grounds so people can enjoy playing sports....


The key difference being that land on which these other amenities are located is not usually owned by someone who, if not actually a property developer already, is not averse to trying their hand as one should the opportunity arise.
User avatar
By TLRippon
#1778516
I was with a group of six aircraft at the weekend who were sitting at Headcorn looking for our next move. Redhill was suggested until we remembered the landing fees, bearing in mind we had a twin and two six seaters amoungst us. At those prices it's not surprising the cafe is full of people who didn't fly in.
CherokeePete liked this
#1778715
The airfield operator is moving his family model club/business to WAP and is offering use of the hard runway for model flying.
Apparently it will be located in a “purpose built” shop, in an old Second World War building!!
Shame he can’t (or won’t) open for full size aircraft.
By Jack.Tyler
#1778738
oldbiggincfi wrote:
clarkeysntfc wrote:At Redhill the other week it must've been 80-90% non-pilots in the Pilot's Hub restaurant.


Next time there I'll wear my Baseball Cap and white shirt with shoulder loops ' cause I'm a pilot :roll: :mrgreen:


Don't we all do this in public anyway? Or is that just me?
By oldbiggincfi
#1778757
Jack.Tyler wrote:
oldbiggincfi wrote:
clarkeysntfc wrote:At Redhill the other week it must've been 80-90% non-pilots in the Pilot's Hub restaurant.


Next time there I'll wear my Baseball Cap and white shirt with shoulder loops ' cause I'm a pilot :roll: :mrgreen:


Don't we all do this in public anyway? Or is that just me?


Of course - why not ? :king:
User avatar
By kanga
#1778792
Twiggy zobdirt wrote:The airfield operator .. is offering use of the hard runway for model flying...
Shame he can’t (or won’t) open for full size aircraft.


we have a couple of 1:1 scale models at JAM .. pity they're not airworthy :wink:
scd975, Rob L, patowalker liked this
By chevvron
#1779553
Twiggy zobdirt wrote:The airfield operator is moving his family model club/business to WAP and is offering use of the hard runway for model flying.
Apparently it will be located in a “purpose built” shop, in an old Second World War building!!
Shame he can’t (or won’t) open for full size aircraft.

Back in 2012 when I was in the tower at Dunsfold doing A/G, I saw something out of the corner of my eye and it appeared to be a Sokol Galeb or similar, then I realised it was a model. Watched it while it did aeros then some touch and goes on one of the disused runways, bloody good touch and goes too.
#1782000
Their Safety Case was predicated on Approach Control and at one stage they had controllers with ADI ratings.

As other applicants have AGCS that shouldn't be a complete show stopper but the SC will need to be rewritten and the CAA convinced that in the locality IAPs can be safely handled.
Last edited by CloudHound on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oakworth liked this
User avatar
By flyingeeza
#1782065
stickandrudderman wrote:Seems that Booker is downgrading to AGCS and re-opening in due course.

Good news indeed.
We do need to support proper airfields like Booker where a wider spectrum of aircraft types can operate from. :thumright: