Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Mike Charlie
Went out to buy a pair of life jackets yesterday from a well known pilots shop on south coast

Who on earth approved the one colour they stocked - black.....! To me that’s just ludicrous, would I ride my push bike along a busy main road wearing a black vest,, absolutely not...

If I’am unfortunate enough to have to use one when I’am bobbing about in the briny I want to be seen and rescued.

Lying in bed writing this, haven’t bothered to research as yet. What recommendations do readers have for two light weight self inflating jackets in either day glow orange or hi viz yellow.

Price not an issue, colour is
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
This wasn't the colour of the cover rather than the content was it?? Ours are dark navy blue until they're triggered then they're bright orange.
By skydriller
Mike Charlie wrote:Who on earth approved the one colour they stocked - black.....! To me that’s just ludicrous, would I ride my push bike along a busy main road wearing a black vest,, absolutely not...

Whoa there...

You want it black/navy/dark coloured so that reflections in your windscreen/canopy are minimised. I assure you the actual inflated bit is day-glow Hi-vis of some sort.

Regards, SD..
johnm, JAFO liked this
By Miscellaneous
I bought a couple last year, they are black so I won't post a link.

I would suggest, however, you re think buying self inflating. :wink: I think you may conclude they are not such a good idea if you think it through. :wink:
johnm liked this
By Rob P
Most life jackets are self inflating*. You don't really want to be bobbing around blowing down a tube. You've enough problems already at that stage.

I have anyway added dayglo spray hoods to our jackets, a highly recommended option.

Rob P

*It's automatic inflation on contact with water that is ill-advised for egress reasons
JAFO liked this
By skydriller
Rob P wrote:Most life jackets are self inflating. You don't really want to be bobbing around blowing down a tube. You've enough problems already at that stage.

Rob P

...as long as one doesnt confuse self inflation with automatic inflation... :wink:

Regards, SD..
By Iron Chicken
To be clear with the terminology;

You need a lifejacket with a manual pull to inflate. Inflation gas is from a small CO2 cartridge , rather like the old 'sparklets' bulb, not via a blow tube which is only there for top up if required.
You do not want an automatic lifejacket which will inflate if it detects that you are in the water. Automatic inflation will make it impossible to get out of a flooded compartment be it aircraft cockpit or boat cabin*. Automatic is really intended for deck workers who might find themselves overboard.

*that's always been in the back of my mind on commercial flights. The cabin brief, which only 10% may actually watch, always instructs not to inflate until outside the aircraft. I'm trying to remember the report I read regarding a real 'put on your life jacket' event. Of course one passenger let off the inflator . On hearing it operate several others, in confusion and panic, set off theirs thus guaranteeing that they and several others will drown jammed against the roof in a flooding cabin.

IC
By Miscellaneous
Rob P wrote:Most life jackets are self inflating*. You don't really want to be bobbing around blowing down a tube. You've enough problems already at that stage.

I have anyway added dayglo spray hoods to our jackets, a highly recommended option.

*It's automatic inflation on contact with water that is ill-advised for egress reasons

Oh I'm fairly confident the OP used self inflating for automatic inflation. Given he hadn't considered the colour on inflation I doubt he had any visions of manually blowing it up whilst bobbing around in the water. :D
By PeteSpencer
I got excellent service from Marine WarehouseLtd (http://www.lifejackets.co.uk) when I wanted a child's lifejacket for my granddaughter with a nice outer cover. (pink with daisies -hername). Inflated it's bright yellow.
They removed the water-inflate mechanism and gave quick service.

My adult jackets have blue covers and as someone says don't reflect in the screen. The bouyancy part is yellow and I know how (rapidly) they work as I have pulled several and a couple of rafts at a sea safety meeting at RAF club a few years ago organised by SEMS Basildon who supplied mine.

EDIT: The CO2 cylinder caused delivery problems with one carrier but we got round that :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Peter
By joystick
Mike Charlie wrote:Went out to buy a pair of life jackets yesterday from a well known pilots shop on south coast

Who on earth approved the one colour they stocked - black.....! To me that’s just ludicrous, would I ride my push bike along a busy main road wearing a black vest,, absolutely not...

If I’am unfortunate enough to have to use one when I’am bobbing about in the briny I want to be seen and rescued.

Lying in bed writing this, haven’t bothered to research as yet. What recommendations do readers have for two light weight self inflating jackets in either day glow orange or hi viz yellow.

Price not an issue, colour is

Did you talk to anybody in the shop ? If you read the description its all there :D
By RisePilot
All self-inflating life jackets (automatic or Hammar type) can be made manual in 2 minutes. You merely unscrew and remove the activation capsule or hydrostatic trigger (for Hammar type).
By JodelDavo
Mike Charlie wrote:Went out to buy a pair of life jackets yesterday from a well known pilots shop on south coast

A few years ago, I bought 2 manual lifejackets from Amazon, made by Baltic, a highly regarded manufacturer, for the price of 1 item at "a well known pilots shop"..

They're black but hi-viz orange inside..

This is the reason why you need a manually inflatable lifejacket

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-investigation-to-druine-d-31-turbulent-g-arnz
By RisePilot
Top brands are Crewsaver and Spinlock. Baltic are good but cheaper; after that there are a myriad of cheap knock-off brands. The ones marketed as “aviation” are licensed re-branded models of the cheaper models noted above.

If you can hold one of each in your hands and inspect/unpack them, you would understand and agree that the “GA aviation” life jackets are purchased by the unwary.