Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I suspect pretty much any android tablet with an internal GPS (which is pretty much all of them) would be fine - just a question for you on size & price.
I'm still quite happily using my Nexus 7 2013 model with Sky Demon. It has 2GB RAM and 16GB storage. I attach it to an old A5 knew board, which has Velcro straps. It still works for other things, but I tend to use my phone for other things so the tablet is only used for flying.

On 32bit vs 64bit - it was only 1st August 2019 that Android apps had to also be 64bit. 32bit is still fully supported on Android with no published end date ( https://android-developers.googleblog.c ... 4-bit.html ) with 32bit apps no longer being able to be downloaded by 64 bit devices in August 2021 (which means that app must not have had an update in 2 years). There are almost no apps which are 64 bit only (it was only possible from Android 9 (Pie) to have 64bit only apps). In short - I wouldn't worry about it at the moment. The vast majority of apps will continue to work for years with 32 bit, with the only ones that don't (higher end games needing more than 4GB RAM) beyond what lower end tablets are capable of anyway.
By cirrostratus
Just bought a Galaxy Tab A 8 inch a couple of weeks ago . This was to replace a 2nd gen Nexus 7 which had done sterling service over a number of years . The nexus was getting slower to boot up and slow to find location when pressing " Go Fly " on Skydemon, sometimes 3 or 4 minutes. It also got warm whilst flying.
Galaxy was on a special price direct from Samsung at £129 inc delivery for the 32 GB LTE version. Have used it for several flights now and well impressed, nice bright screen and no noticable heat from the case and very impressive battery life.
By kanga
Sean. 101 wrote:.. can anyone recomend a knee board that supports it or a leg strap?.....

For older 7" Hudl: Ancient Transair ~18x22 cm kneepad, 1 elastic Velcro strap to go round thigh. Hudl was adequately held by the spring clip at the top of the kneepad.

For newer 8" Lenovo: kept in standard stationer's padded case. This accommodated and was adequately anchored by one piece of wide elastic threaded between the back of the tablet and the case, round thigh, secured by 1 large safety pin.

Both were fine for SD using built-in GPS even in highwing eg C172, for security, for visibility even in glare, temperature even on hot days, and for stick or yoke, and for 2 2-hour flights on internal battery alone.
JAFO liked this
By patowalker
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Go for the Tab S series rather than the A, it's got a better screen, processor, everything. Get an S2 8.0 on e-bay, available around £100 second hand. It's got a great resolution, and the screen is reasonably square, so you can go north/south or east/west. :D

The S2 8.0 fits this iPad mini RAM mount.
By MultiMagic
I have a Galaxy S2 tablet and an iPad mini 5.
Both run SD equally well, but the Galaxy is half the price of the iPad!
By Sean. 101
So I decided to buy the Huawei Mediapad M5 lite 8" tablet after its extended features compared to the Samsung ones of the same price tag since I have an huawei phone its just a bigger version. I have just purchased a case I'm still waiting for but the idea of cutting a hole and then putting a velcro strap through seems the best idea I think as I'm finding it impossible to find a table kneeboard that fits 8" tablets they all seems to be 7.9" or for bigger ipads like the one I have now at 9. 7" :roll:

Again thankyou all for your reccomendations it's nice to know what each of us use and how we use it.
mick w liked this
By Rob P
My 8" MediaPad is certainly fully googled.

I'm not sure what difference being google-free would make to SkyDemon, but then I am not very IT savvy.

Rob P
By timjenner
No Google = no app store ("Google Play Store").

Not sure about the current crop, but my M5 Lite 10 is certainly fully "Googled" and runs SkyDemon downloaded from Google Play fine.

Cheers,
Tim
By Sean. 101
Yes mine has Google fully supported too. I belive only new devices such as that Huawei P40 Pro do not support Google? As far as I'm aware all devices already out will continue to support Google. And thank you I will check out your link in regards to that knee strap :)
By Rob P
From the SkyDemon website

Direct Download

You can download SkyDemon for Android directly from us to your device. In most cases you should not do this, as it's usually preferable to install via the Play Store as detailed above. If you need access to a specific version, though, or for some reason cannot use the Play Store, use the links below to download.

Rob P
By JSAG
After two Nexus 7 s which were great for years until they became slightly unreliable.
I now have SD on an 8" Huawei M5 Mediapad using it's own GPS and it's even better than the Nexus.
I have an A4 kneeboard landscape with a clip at the top on the left. I just fold back the Huawei case and clip it from the top.
The right hand side is for the PLOG.
Rob P liked this
By Crash one
I use this 4g Apple mini iPad for everything. Email, forum browsing, google etc and RunwayHD nav, an Excel prog for weight and balance.
Clipped into a Ram mount bolted to the panel when flying or in this Transair case otherwise. Never had a problem in seven years, apart from dropping one once from the wingtip onto concrete! :(