Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
Azrail wrote: I couldnt really understand "Make a slit in the spine.Feed velcro strap through slit". Easier words for me maybe? Google Translate wont help :D
Do you have a picture of it too?

Did that help?

Rob P
Azrail liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
That would be great, but personally I think the squarer 8" format is better suited to flying in general, even if it is a bit wider....especially if you fly north-up and fly east-west. Track up it wouldn't matter unless of course you use the tablet in landscape orientation.

Having said that I'm still using my 7" Nexus in the aeroplane as I'm too enamoured of my 8" Samsung to risk damaging it when flying! :D (I have 3x 2013 Nexus 7 tablets so have a bit of redundancy if one falls off the wing)
By Miscellaneous
Paul_Sengupta wrote:...if one falls off the wing

That sent shivers up my spine and it wasn't my iPad. :lol:

Cumbernauld getting ready to depart to Bergen for a week touring Norway with Timothy and his shareoplane partner. T's partner puts iPad on wing and it slowly slid off with the inevitable consequence. Seeing it sliding off the wing and not being able to get to it… :pale: Not so bad there was redundancy with numerous other iPads. A demonstration though that redundancy is indeed advisable and maybe a case for opting for the less expensive Android option. :wink:

Thankfully it didn't detract from a very enjoyable week touring Norway. :thumright:
By kanga
The time I dropped (the only, family, 7" Nexus) tablet on its corner onto a concrete hangar floor, wrecking its glass irreparably, :oops: , it was after a flight. For its identical replacement we bought a (scarlet! who cares ? actually, quite useful during rummage :) ) 'childproof' rubber surround (from the 'tech accessories' aisle in a supermarket, very cheap).

Only App used in flight routinely was SD, although other (free) ones were tried from time to time. Flight planning was on laptop at home using SD. Bought a CAA topo Memory Map disc once; never got the hang of it.

Later I flew with a 8" (now 'mine' rather than 'family'), still Android (Lenovo), still used for all other non-flying Apps as well. Both I mounted in portrait mode on my thigh: the 7" clipped into a kneeboard, the 8" (in a 'standard stationary store' folding cover, cheap) with wide elastic secured by a safety pin, with kneeboard on the other thigh.

Backup, apart from chinagraph route on a physical laminated chart, was an even older "hiker's" (ie, not 'aviation') pocket GPS, with planned route and waypoints entered by hand. It displayed (B&W) as a half-mile-wide 'highway' with a centreline. It was small enough to fit on the coaming, secured by adhesive velcro strips (unofficial 'minor mod' on the coaming :wink: ). This was powered from the 'cigar lighter' socket in the ancient shareoplanes; for the tablets, recharging fully overnight before the flight was always enough for my sort of flying the following day.

For my sort of day/VFR fairly local, bimbling these were quite adequate. The only time in the 'tablet era' when I even planned to 'go off' the South of England 1:500,000 chart (and so would be relying on SD on the tablet and the 'hiker' alone) was for the PP at Church Fenton .. which was frustrated by weather.
By Rob P
Paul_Sengupta wrote:... if you fly north-up

If?

:scratch:

Rob P