Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Woz
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hello all,

Been a while since I last posted, but on one of my recent work contracts I got to work with a young colleague who mentioned they were intending to take a career in ATC. At this present moment in time, she is doing a uni degree / work placement in IT as backup qualifications should things not go to plan.

She is a little unsure as to the route she should take and wether she will go Civil or Military (maybe move to civil afterwards if thats a typical activity?). She has looked into a number of different routes and scenario's, but sometimes its good to hear from somebody who is already there and been through the recruitment process. I mentioned there are a few ATC peeps on this forum and would she like me to ask if anybody would be prepared to maybe have a messenger chat or email correspondence with her and go through the pro's & con's, best courses of action and pitfalls to hopefully avoid.

If there are any ATC members reading and you would be prepared to spare half an hour or so to have a chat with a young aspiring ATC and help them make some life choices, please let me know and I will put you in contact.

Thanks in advance.
matspart3 liked this
For military, remember you are an RAF officer first and an Air Traffic Controller second, that is if you pass the selection tests and are assessed competent for that branch; the selectors may decide that with her qualifications, she may be better suited to some other branch of the RAF.
For civil, you can self fund and go to a non NATS college; very expensive and you don't (normally) get any practical experience, only sims.
Some non NATS ATS providers train you at their own colleges. eg ANS who operate ATC at Gatwick (tower only) and Edinburgh
For NATS, if you get through the selection tests, there is a very high 'chop' rate on all courses.
I went through the training system with NATS may years ago when the training was totally different to nowadays so she needs to talk to someone who has trained within the last ten years or so.
Woz liked this
By Woz
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Liquor15_7924 wrote:Might be worth asking on PPRUNE, they have an ATC section.

Thanks for the info, I can always point her in that direction for a read.

chevvron wrote:For military, remember you are an RAF officer first and an Air Traffic Controller second...

Thank you for the reply Chevvron, Your first line sounded just like my reply to her suggestion of going through the Forces route. I think her best option is the Civil route and as you say, and a good chat with a recent, past 10 years, ATC would be a good starting point for her.

Anybody else have other suggestions, points of reference for her to investigate ?
I’m more than happy for her to email me.

I’ve been at Heathrow for 22 years now and was on the Recruitment team for ten of those.

Until things recover fully I don’t think that a ‘self-funded’ route into ATC is going to work. After many years of a national, and indeed global, ATCO shortage, Liverpool have just told 6 ATCOs they are to be made redundant, and they won’t be the last.

Obviously the NATS training pipeline is shut down at the moment too; new applications aren’t being processed.

In the next year or so the Military might be the only real option.

Right now UK ATC is Jim, Jack and Freddo in the LEM using it as a lifeboat.
Woz, Chilli Monster liked this
MattL wrote:RAF now have direct entry NCO controllers which is a good deal and route worth considering, especially if the Officer entry route is unappealing

Matt, genuine query, why would the NCO route be more appealing than the commissioned route, assuming one had the choice?
JAFO wrote:
MattL wrote:RAF now have direct entry NCO controllers which is a good deal and route worth considering, especially if the Officer entry route is unappealing

Matt, genuine query, why would the NCO route be more appealing than the commissioned route, assuming one had the choice?

RAF SNCOs could always become controllers, but usually only if they'd been an assistant first (in the RAF, assistants communicate with vehicles on the airfield where there is no GMC position established) and in the past, they've only been able to do 'tower' or 'local' as the RAF insist on calling it, however this policy may have changed.
Hi @JAFO I wouldn't necessarily say it is better, but it is a good option. You don't need A levels, some people may suit NCO as opposed to Officer training better at a younger age, and you actually earn a higher salary in initial years. Once in the job [massive generalisation warning] NCOs may be more focused on role rather than wider management which some may prefer as well.
JAFO, tcinbg liked this