Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By akg1486
We enjoyed our visit last year. Having a club doing GA handling seemed like a very practical arrangement: we don’t want to pay exorbitant rates and I have a feeling handling companies aren’t that interested in our business.

So sad news, but I’m sure there will be some sort of solution post-COVID.
By AlanM
akg1486 wrote:We enjoyed our visit last year. Having a club doing GA handling seemed like a very practical arrangement: we don’t want to pay exorbitant rates and I have a feeling handling companies aren’t that interested in our business.

So sad news, but I’m sure there will be some sort of solution post-COVID.

Exactly that. The Gama part of handling is an interim measure given that flying in is hard at the moment.

Some goodish news with at least one forumite prominent in the steps to resurrect something;

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/06/01/working-group-formed-to-save-jersey-aero-club/
johnm, Iceman, G-BLEW and 3 others liked this
By defcribed
Jersey is probably my favourite GA destination.

It'll be really sad if something doesn't get sorted out. A hundred quid for handling is a non-starter for me unless I really have to get there, which I don't.
By BlackheathBloke
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hope it can be saved, used to use it as my 'club' and joined as an overseas member however no flying due to a shoulder injury and niggly tennis elbow has stopped my flying for the past two years.

Great facility, great instructors and an outstanding CFI meant it was also a go to place for any training/refresher courses that I wanted to do.

I did read recently that they were about to lose the use of the car park, so did worry something was up.
Iceman liked this
By Iceman
@BlackheathBloke, sorry to hear of your injury, and hope that you get back to flying some time soon. I share your thoughts on the Jersey Aeroclub, a place that I visit often. I’m hoping that a rescue plan can be put in place so that we can again take advantage of the perks that this place has to offer.

Iceman 8)
By akg1486
AlanM wrote:Some goodish news with at least one forumite prominent in the steps to resurrect something;

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/06/01/working-group-formed-to-save-jersey-aero-club/

Good luck to @derekf and the team!
G-BLEW, 2Donkeys, AlanM and 3 others liked this
By derekf
Thanks all,
Not had much time to check forums recently but very busy in the background with a great team beavering away in multiple work streams
Just to be clear, the aeroclub has not gone bust, but one of the subsidiary companies (flying training/operations) has a creditors meeting on Friday.
There will be a club meeting for members on 22 June where members will be presented with plans for new way forward and I’ll post an update after that.
I’m feeling positive about the future, and as AlanM says Gama is an interim arrangement (and COVID self isolation requirements when coming to Jersey is going to stop most visiting GA for a while anyway
Dave W, Rob P, CherokeePete and 4 others liked this
By AlanM
Chilli Monster wrote:The Atlantic Hotel Re-opens June 12th :D :thumright:

Most things open on June 12th. It is the expected movement from Level 3 -> Level 2.

We are down to 3 active (known) cases on the island. So the hope is that the Government will drop the need to have 14 days self isolation for arrivals. Indeed, I know some who have been part of a trial and not had to stay self isolated for such length.

Fingers crossed. Jersey is well placed, in the UK Common Travel Area, to welcome visitors to the Island.
Good Luck Derek,
A very worthy cause and I'm very confident you guys will be able to get something sorted.
Looking forward to trying out whatever you guys achieve. (Once we're allowed) :thumright:
derekf, AlanM liked this
By Iceman
Jersey tomorrow for the weekend. Handling via GAMA, parking at GAMA, and COVID-19 test nearby on arrival. Fixed rate of £50 + landing fee until Jersey Aeroclub is back online.

Iceman 8)
AlanM liked this