Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
A victim of COVID-19, I don’t expect that this will be the last club to go bust. Flight training will cease and it remains to be seen who will now handle GA. This is a huge blow to Jersey and to visiting pilots.

Iceman 8)
By johnm
That's very sad. I hope that it can be reincarnated in due course and I'm a bit surprised it was that fragile....
By Iceman
There have been Alderney and Guernsey Air Rallies in recent years but I am not aware of a Jersey Air Rally. Guernsey and Alderney clubs are not affected.

Iceman 8)
By Iceman
johnm wrote:That's very sad. I hope that it can be reincarnated in due course and I'm a bit surprised it was that fragile....

From various posts on their Facebook page, and their formal announcement, it sounds like they have been sailing a bit close to the wind for a while, with a lot of outlay on new Tecnam aircraft. I sincerely hope that they can resurrect something that will allow the building and cafe to continue so that visitors may continue to park at that end and be dealt with my the club rather than possibly compulsory handling via Gamma.

Iceman 8)
By derekf
Iceman wrote:
johnm wrote:That's very sad. I hope that it can be reincarnated in due course and I'm a bit surprised it was that fragile....

From various posts on their Facebook page, and their formal announcement, it sounds like they have been sailing a bit close to the wind for a while, with a lot of outlay on new Tecnam aircraft. I sincerely hope that they can resurrect something that will allow the building and cafe to continue so that visitors may continue to park at that end and be dealt with my the club rather than possibly compulsory handling via Gamma.

Iceman 8)

I suspect the airport won't want lots of light GA near Gamma so they may well do something for 'handling' at the JAC premises for a while as that's also main in/out for local GA and is effectively the 'security point' for them

Desperately sad news
By derekf
Well just goes to show how much my guesses are worth - Radio Jersey report says Ports of Jersey have made temporary arrangements for Gama to handle any GA but local members can use current limited interim COVID access measures to their aircraft .
I still think this will be a temporary measure until COVID relaxes and we get more GA etc (and the club has only just gone into administration) but we'll have to wait and see what comes out of various other discussions :(
By Irv Lee
derekf wrote:...just gone into administration) but we'll have to wait and see what comes out of various other discussions :(

At least some hope of a rescue then, fingers crossed for all involved, staff, members, local creditors, etc.
(I got my ppl in Jersey)
By Merlin83b
derekf wrote:temporary arrangements for Gama to handle any GA

I emailed Gama to see if a trip to Jersey next month would work out. They quoted £114.61 for handling, and the man's email signature relayed the requirement for any arrivals to self isolate for 14 days. Sadly, I think we'll stay away on this occastion.