Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:
Oi Spencer! I thought you'd blocked me. Seems like my posts are getting through so you'd better have a word with the admins if the system isn't working :lol:

Rob P

For many years I had a tame lurker who let me know of any inappropriate comment so I could deal with them. He lurks rarely now so I missed the last one for a fortnight.

I did enjoy our spats but got nobbed off with the one-sided admin donking after keef died.

But compared with the abusive sh it going down right now amongst the usual protagonists on Non-Aviation , it makes them seem like a vicar's tea party.

But just watch your cynicism step. :lol:

Peter
By Rob P
PeteSpencer wrote:In the quarter of a century I've flown from our strip we've had burnt out cars, kite boarders, horse riders, deer, dog walkers , chavs in Astras doing donuts, 38 ton HGVs on the strip,

Even a pop-up illegal shooting party with three rangies

You can't see these from a normal final?

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:In the quarter of a century I've flown from our strip we've had burnt out cars, kite boarders, horse riders, deer, dog walkers , chavs in Astras doing donuts, 38 ton HGVs on the strip,

Even a pop-up illegal shooting party with three rangies

Rob P

I'd prefer not to find out that late: Our downwind is bomber command style into Norfolk to miss the boarding school and our farmer's place so is not a good place to spot even elephants.

Then there's our agreement with the aeromodellers who pay us to use the strip.

Peter
By Bobcro
[quote="Rob P"][quote="PeteSpencer"]In the quarter of a century I've flown from our strip we've had burnt out cars, kite boarders, horse riders, deer, dog walkers , chavs in Astras doing donuts, 38 ton HGVs on the strip,

Even a pop-up illegal shooting party with three rangies [/quote]

Rob P[/quote]

Rob From what I recall flying in your lovely RV aircraft you can’t see much out of the front window either in the climb out or on final, I do like to see where I am going.

Have you and Peter overcome your differences?
By gasman
lobstaboy wrote:
Not many elephants, dead or live, roaming Suffolk, but there are deer, horses and riders, escaped stock, ramblers, naturists, hare coursers, etc etc..

I’ve seen plenty in Cap d’Agde, none in Suffolk. :lol:
By PeteSpencer
lobstaboy wrote:
Not many elephants, dead or live, roaming Suffolk, but there are deer, horses and riders, escaped stock, ramblers, naturists, hare coursers, etc etc.
Meeting any of them on your landing run could spoil your day.

A quick squint on Google earth ( you can actually see it six mile to the west of Hinderclay on the google image on the Hinderclay Meadows thread on here: click on satellite view)will confirm our strip is a very odd shape , although at half a mile (818 metres) long it is pretty forgiving.

The eastern half is only 20 yds wide and the burgeoning trees seem mighty close now with canopy overhang.
The western half is over 40 yds wide.

At the midpoint is the eastern hangar apron which has been nicely Tarmac'd by the aeromodellers and juts into the strip by about four metres, further narrowing the grass for about twenty yards, though the tarmac is flush and can be safely landed over.

Except when a dog walker has parked her Rangie on the jutting in Tarmac bit as happened to me just before the farmers decided to secure their land.

My 'baulked landing' and go-around wouldn't shift her so second time around I was obliged to steer for the even narrower grass bit.

I had just touched down and was rolling pretty fast when her bloody great black labradoor escaped from her grasp and ran out towards me: I actually closed my eyes reflexly and waited for the bang.

Which didnt come.

By the time I'd stopped with a view to back taxying and having a quiet word she'd loaded up and was high tailing off the strip....

Closest I 've come to meeting my maker since the two events in Leicester's overhead many years ago...

Peter :roll:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Mon May 25, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By tripacer
TheFarmer wrote:I’d just call Wattisham and chat with them, asking them for their preference.

That would be my suggestion too.

They'll know where their traffic goes, and whether the location of your strip is such that they'd like awareness of your traffic (and where you might want awareness of theirs). Really depends how far you are from their MATZ, and whether you're on one of their favourite low-level Apache runs.
By PeteSpencer
tripacer wrote:They'll know where their traffic goes, and whether the location of your strip is such that they'd like awareness of your traffic (and where you might want awareness of theirs). Really depends how far you are from their MATZ, and whether you're on one of their favourite low-level Apache runs.

Thats what I do as we're on the direct run from Watt to D208>

ATC are very helpful but of course they only see them at altitude, and can only give a rough idea where they're going when they're tree hopping as they're way below radar.

When one flew over me at the strip so low that my wings rocked in the downwash, I phoned and asked ATC where they were going as I didn't want one smite me as they tended just to pop suddenly up from behind a tree , the ATCer working them said, with a clear smile in his voice "That's what they do!".

Peter :roll:
By rusty eagle
I was taught in Papua New Guinea, where a precautionary search and landing was on the syllabus. Drop down to around 100 feet above ground (or out of arrow range :)) and fly down the landing area with flap 2.
By JAFO
When I heard you I was over Ipswich heading out to the coast for a spot of sightseeing and to check on Mrs JAFO's horse before finding some fluffy cumulus to play in.

I don't often hear aircraft out of Monewden calling up on Wattisham so I thought: "Ah, I know who that might be." Lovely day for it.