Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By marcass
I know headsets has been done to death, so appreciate your attention, but i want to get 2 headsets for passengers, and as they will be used so infrequently, I'm looking for a low cost as possible, but with a reasonable element of longevity.

The SH30-10 at under £100 looks very reasonable.

Whats everyones thoughts ?https://www.seht.co.uk/product/sh30-10g-aviation-headset-twin-plug

Thank you
By Flasheart
I have one of these which I've used as both mine, and given to passengers. They work well, the sound and mic are both acceptable. ATC have been clear when I've used them, the mic picks up voice clear enough too.

The only issue I've had is after a year the gel earpads failed and my passenger got an earful of mineral oil (or whatever it is in there)! The company offered to send a replacement set, but never heard anything back from them, and after a couple of chasing emails I gave up.

Overall though, I'd buy another pair if needed.
By clarkeysntfc
Paul_Sengupta wrote:This isn't generally the way things are done.

What you do is upgrade your own headset to something better. Your old headset then becomes the passenger set.

What happens if you’re using a Bose A20? :lol:
By Paul_Sengupta
clarkeysntfc wrote:What happens if you’re using a Bose A20? :lol:

Then you should already have a collection behind you! If you're lucky enough to have gone for an A20 from the start, then I guess you'll just have to wait for the next generation to come out.

If you're using an A20 and you subject your passenger to a passive set, that could go down as cruel and unusual punishment. You should at least get a second hand X for them to use.
By Wide-Body
Just to skew the debate, shouldn’t passengers have the same level of protection as least as the pilot. Sound quality is not a problem but noise attenuation is. When we had the Yak, it cost me a small fortune in Parachutes, Bone-domes (Alpha did a nice variable size Lid), etc. Leaving pax in a worse situation than the pilot never felt right.
jerry_atrick liked this
By marcass
Thanks for the feedback.

Only passed my skills test earlier this year, and so far very happy with my DC set. Its on the rare occasion I have more than just 1 passenger, that i would need additional sets, so wanted to keep the budget low.

I tried getting my DC set ANR'd, but that didnt work out too well, so reverted to the standard passive setup. Don't feel ready to spend £1k for the A20, but might do in the future......
By BoeingBoy
I managed to find a pair of second hand Mendelssohn's HM40 headsets which were too 'tinny' in audio for full time front seat use but are great as rear seat headsets and standby's to my fifteen year old Avcom sets bought for £75 in Florida. They've yet to be beaten for comfort and audio.

https://www.avcomm.com/Student-PNR-Headset-p/ac200fb.htm

https://www.gps.co.uk/hm40-headset/p-0-790/
By MichaelP
Sennheiser hme110 very good, i prefer to dc.

Do be careful with Sennheiser ANR headsets.
I had to ban them from the DA20-C1 as they blew the Garmin intercom system in the audio panel.
Garmin produced a diode kit to save the system afterwards.
Perhaps a reverse polarity problem?

John Cooke advertised the Peltors on his FB page.
By matthew_w100
marcass wrote:I tried getting my DC set ANR'd, but that didnt work out too well, so reverted to the standard passive setup. Don't feel ready to spend £1k for the A20, but might do in the future......

That's interesting. I've just had mine done but not had the chance to try them yet. What was the problem?

I too blanch at the idea of spending £1k on something the general public would pay a quarter of that for. Aviation mugging at its finest.
By MichaelP
Don't feel ready to spend £1k for the A20, but might do in the future.....

My A20s had to be repaired three times so far. Buy/make cotton covers for the ear cushions, a la Airlites, they last a bit longer.

I’ve had Peltors with gel seals that lasted well over twenty years without needing anything. Their passive noise reduction is excellent.
By JAFO
Wide-Body wrote:Just to skew the debate, shouldn’t passengers have the same level of protection as least as the pilot. Sound quality is not a problem but noise attenuation is. When we had the Yak, it cost me a small fortune in Parachutes, Bone-domes (Alpha did a nice variable size Lid), etc. Leaving pax in a worse situation than the pilot never felt right.

I'm not sure that's the case when it comes to ANR/passive - if your passengers are experiencing that level of noise once and you are experiencing it every time you fly then ANR for you and your old non-ANR headset for them is fine, in my opinion.
MichaelP wrote:]
My A20s had to be repaired three times so far. Buy/make cotton covers for the ear cushions, a la Airlites, they last a bit longer.

I.

I bought 2 x DC13.4 new shortly after I got my PPL in 1993: They are both still going strong.

When I bought them, following advice on here , I immediately changed the supplied foam containing ear seals for gel-filled, with an immediate improvement in passive noise attenuation.

I put cotton covers on them, which got manky in double quick time and after several instances of cotton covers escaping from 'er indoors washing bag for small objects and blocking the washing machine pump, she refused to wash them any more:

Then along came rholder aka ANRman and ANRd both my sets.

I tried a little experiment before I binned my by-now-rancid cotton covers on the ANRd DCs: The noise reduction was significatly poorer with the covers in place, possibly related to the fact I wear specs:

In this situation cotton covers IMHO are useless: Just put up with sweaty ears when it's baking hot.

Peter :roll:
Wide-Body liked this