Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By lomasca
Hi guys. Im about to proceed to my CPL training on the DA42 (i'm on an integrated course currently on the DA40 in Oxford)

My school is relocating permanently to Montpellier, and I was wondering if there were any key pieces of advice you'd give for VFR flying in french airspace, plus any experience anyone has in that part of the country.

Ive read up on some differences already, but some key takeaways would be helpful.

Also - I understand basic service isn't offered, what is offered instead and what is the verbal terminology for the different levels of service (assuming its different from the UK)?

Thanks in advance

Chris
By G-BLEW
lomasca wrote:Hi guys. Im about to proceed to my CPL training on the DA42 (i'm on an integrated course currently on the DA40 in Oxford)

My school is relocating permanently to Montpellier, and I was wondering if there were any key pieces of advice you'd give for VFR flying in french airspace, plus any experience anyone has in that part of the country.

Ive read up on some differences already, but some key takeaways would be helpful.

Also - I understand basic service isn't offered, what is offered instead and what is the verbal terminology for the different levels of service (assuming its different from the UK)?

Thanks in advance

Chris

- Montpellier is a fantastic place
- Flying in France is easy and relaxed
- The UK is the only place in the world to offer a basic service. In France it is a Flight Information Service , you'll usually get a proper radar service.
- If the school lets you, visit the airfield in Mende, spectacular
- If the school lets you, fly the low level coastal route, again, spectacular

Enjoy

Ian
johnm liked this
By G-BLEW
AlanM wrote::D Go on..... what’s a proper radar service guv’nor!??

It's a FRIS innit :-)*

Ian
*But seriously, it's a radar driven traffic service with handovers and some airspace stuff
AlanM liked this
By Oldfart
AlanM.
A ” joined up service“ in France for the VFR flyer.
Is, on first contact given a transponder code and then continuous radar flight information seamlessly through France from Sector to Sector. En route. Low level area warnings/ clearance, para dropping info, clearance through en route airfields airspace, traffic avoidance, weather info if requested.
Usually appears to be the low level IFR controller.
On my last trip en route Cannes. A direct to routing VFR through Lyon airspace at FL080 overhead an international airport. Only requirement, climb to an Even IFR level (From our +500ft VFR Cruise) and advise any change of heading. (Great pics of the AF A380 crossing 1000ft below!)
And in France of course, VFR in Airways allowed at +500 ft levels when under FIR control.
I remember G-BLEW publishing his routing from S France to UK. a year or so ago. . Almost a direct track across France to the E Channel!
Different ATC rules of course, but shows what can be done with a positive GA attitude.
grahamgrg liked this