Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
AndyR wrote:
bilko2 wrote:Fire cover is less useful IMHO, though often the firemen do other stuff too, some point in that.

Until you need them of course...

Yes, I operate from a farm strip with no cover of any sort, as well as from more sizeable airports, but more than once I have been glad to have fire crew tail chasing me down the runway on landing.

On the only occasion I've had where the fire service arrived when flames were licking up from the front end (a warm start gone wrong) they grabbed their extinguishers, thumped the buttons on top and a big fart of nothingness wooshed out. The extinguishers had been unused so long that the powder had settled into a solid lump at the bottom,and all that emerged was the propellant.

The late great David Hockings, who was demonstrating the start after I'd screwed it up a couple of times, was not impressed.
Last edited by matthew_w100 on Tue May 19, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyR, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
AndyR wrote:
bilko2 wrote:Fire cover is less useful IMHO, though often the firemen do other stuff too, some point in that.

Until you need them of course...

Yes, I operate from a farm strip with no cover of any sort, as well as from more sizeable airports, but more than once I have been glad to have fire crew tail chasing me down the runway on landing.

IIRC AOPA UK, at the time when they were trying to (and later successfully) remove(d) the need for flight training to take place on a licensed (with fire cover) aerodrome, stated that they had researched 30 years of aerodrome accidents and that they could not find one (1) case of an incident where the aerodrome fire service had saved a life.

Seemed a tall claim at the time but pretty sure they would not have made it if it wasn't founded in real figures.

Having had a Cub try to incinerate itself around me and toast me at the same time I have to say that landing with the firetruck in tow was a comforting thought although I got out in double quick time without further ado.
Bathman wrote:Why is it like this in the UK? There must be a reason. I can well remember being prevented from departing Carlise due to ATC being on lunch. I was happy to self announce and depart (to a strip with safteycom) but it wasn't allowed.

utterly ridiculous

We once had to wait for ATC there to go home before accidentally taking off after an over-enthusiastic engine run-up. Funnily enough the same happened to the two aircraft following us and we all met at a far more amenable Kirkbride a short while later to discuss over a pint and a curry.
JodelDavo liked this
AndyR wrote:... more than once I have been glad to have fire crew tail chasing me down the runway on landing.

Andy, just persevere. Your landings will get better, trust me.

Rob P
Miscellaneous, AndyR, derekf liked this
OK, maybe comfort blanket, but good to have.

4 x returns to base with rough running and vibrations (SEP & MEP);
8 x landings with engine shut down/failure/hole in cowling/ oil everywhere/ smoke/catastrophic failure/fuel issues (MEP) (not quite caught up with Timothy yet);
1 x landing with no front tyre, leading to runway closure as it wouldn't steer;
1 x landing with smoke filled cockpit

There are probably more, but off the top of my head :D

Did the fire crew save my life on any of the above mentioned occasions? Nope. But they could well have done, had most of those scenarios worsened.
Rob P, stevfire2 liked this
AndyR wrote:But they could well have done, had most of those scenarios worsened.

On the one occasion ATC called them for my arrival I wasn't so sure whether their prompt attendance was more likely to be advantageous in providing speedy assistance, or seeing them accelerating across the apron to the hold with lights on was a distraction more likely to result in their assistance being required. :lol:
AndyR liked this
By kanga
bilko2 wrote:.. often the firemen do other stuff too, ..

Indeed. At Staverton I recall a fireperson go straight from towing a Citation from hangar apron to Terminal to helping Aunty Leia mix 2-stroke for her X-Air; all with a cheery smile. It may have been MP3's infectious disposition, of course :) But I expect the bizjet operators and military visitors do have an insurance or regulation requirement for crash cover (and ATC), and they (in normal times) provide a lot of the revenue, disproportionately to the numbers of their movements.

I recall being indignant as I taxied out at Speke in the mighty Colt hearing over Tower 'crash team crew up for first solo'. It was not my first solo, just first there, on type, and in UK. And they were then parked at the holding point, lights flashing, as I landed. :evil:
By Pete L
I think it was at the CAA's first attempt at public engagement with the GA community - the first time I met many forumites - 2000? - where someone said that no light aircraft casualties had ever been saved by an airport fire service.

But as we've found out - just because it's a rare event doesn't mean it shouldn't be planned for.

At Halton we got basic fire training from the base firemen - very well delivered and plenty of opportunities to put various types of fire out - and the flying club had a reasonably well equipped Land Rover for us to use if we had to.