Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
User avatar
By foxmoth
#1770717
Does anyone know of any PPR requirements on airfields put in place by the CAA? Asking about the restrictions on Barton opening part of the reply was that there are PPR booking requirements mandated by the CAA.
#1770720
Social distancing is around 2m. That's two metres between people - Not two minutes or two miles between each aircraft. :)

Okay, fair play if aerodromes need to manage their own staff to prevent overcrowding. But it is also whether pilots can be trusted to do it themselves as well.

If the CAA mandates anything, it would be as strange as if the DVLA mandated something for petrol stations and car parks.
User avatar
By T67M
#1770724
I suspect many airfields with ATC (and maybe AFISO) have CAA mandated rest-breaks for the controllers. If they're running with reduced staffing, scheduling these rest-breaks becomes a challenge without knowledge of when planes are expected. Less relevant for light aircraft, but foreknowledge of arrivals also allows Cat.2/H2 fire cover to be scheduled when required.

A call for PPR also gives a good chance to pass on any special requests for the airfield designed to ensure social distancing is maintained.
User avatar
By AlanM
#1770726
We have PPR in Jersey. Not least because of reduced hours, minimum fire cover and fewer controllers on duty.

For bizjets and visitors, borders agencies are involved (we still have a 14 day self isolation policy for anyone coming in to the Island). Local GA flying is allowed, but no interisland travel.
Last edited by AlanM on Tue May 19, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1770742
At Redhill we have furloughed several firefighter/fuellers and 50 % of the ATCOs. We are running with 1 ATCO and 2 firefighters per day. PPR by email has been introduced for all flights to enable us regulate activity and plan the ATC breaks ( 30 minutes every 2 hours). Email is easier to deal with than a phone call. Early days but seems to be working OK with no complaints from our operators.

This situation is likely to remain until flying training is permitted when we'll return to normal operations.
AlanM, Charles Hunt, T67M and 3 others liked this
#1770745
Sorry to read that staff had to be furloughed, and hence no 'like' but great to read that you are dealing with the rest so pragmatic.

Hope things will improve soon.
kanga liked this
#1770747
Im intrigued (as always) as to why at somewhere like Redhill or Barton, with the obviously reduced GA movements right now, why there is a need for ATC or Firefighters unless a pilot or aeroplane specifically requests it. Not having a go at either place specifically, but such an "on request" system works perfectly well this side of the channel and I dont see why it cant on the other side. I wonder if now would be the time to try such a thing with the lower movement numbers.

Regards, SD..
User avatar
By AlanM
#1770755
skydriller wrote:Im intrigued (as always) as to why at somewhere like Redhill or Barton, with the obviously reduced GA movements right now, why there is a need for ATC or Firefighters unless a pilot or aeroplane specifically requests it. Not having a go at either place specifically, but such an "on request" system works perfectly well this side of the channel and I dont see why it cant on the other side. I wonder if now would be the time to try such a thing with the lower movement numbers.

Regards, SD..


You mean allow movements at licensed aerodromes with optional ATC or Fire and Rescue cover? I cannot imagine the CAA or airfield owners allowing that, even in these times. (Not saying it couldn’t work)

Surely we need the industry to be supported? Having more staff made redundant or furloughed is not ideal. I have EasyJet and Ryanair Mates who are Captains, along with Swawnick ATCOs who are furloughed. It is less than ideal.
#1770760
You mean allow movements at licensed aerodromes with optional ATC or Fire and Rescue cover? I cannot imagine the CAA or airfield owners allowing that


At first I thought that was a tongue in cheek remark - there are plenty of licensed airfields that do allow this for out of hours movements, the CAA do not need to be consulted except in a very small number of cases and those owners that do allow it don’t seem to have a problem!
kanga liked this
User avatar
By AlanM
#1770764
foxmoth wrote:
You mean allow movements at licensed aerodromes with optional ATC or Fire and Rescue cover? I cannot imagine the CAA or airfield owners allowing that


At first I thought that was a tongue in cheek remark - there are plenty of licensed airfields that do allow this for out of hours movements, the CAA do not need to be consulted except in a very small number of cases and those owners that do allow it don’t seem to have a problem!


Then why bother at all with any expensive ATC/Fire Cover?

Am I missing something here - or are we saying “just when one person wants those services?” Genuinely asking.
#1770766
foxmoth wrote:Does anyone know of any PPR requirements on airfields put in place by the CAA? Asking about the restrictions on Barton opening part of the reply was that there are PPR booking requirements mandated by the CAA.

Are the " PPR booking requirements mandated by the CAA" at Barton the bits related to filing MORs?
By G-JWTP
#1770771
AlanM wrote:
skydriller wrote:Im intrigued (as always) as to why at somewhere like Redhill or Barton, with the obviously reduced GA movements right now, why there is a need for ATC or Firefighters unless a pilot or aeroplane specifically requests it. Not having a go at either place specifically, but such an "on request" system works perfectly well this side of the channel and I dont see why it cant on the other side. I wonder if now would be the time to try such a thing with the lower movement numbers.

Regards, SD..


You mean allow movements at licensed aerodromes with optional ATC or Fire and Rescue cover? I cannot imagine the CAA or airfield owners allowing that, even in these times. (Not saying it couldn’t work)

Surely we need the industry to be supported? Having more staff made redundant or furloughed is not ideal. I have EasyJet and Ryanair Mates who are Captains, along with Swawnick ATCOs who are furloughed. It is less than ideal.



Surely a £2500.00 or 80% check from the government is much better than a UB40.

G-JWTP