Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
To be blunt:

If an ATCO moving onto an AFISO role cannot be bothered and/or cannot see the importance of fully refreshing their understanding of the responsibilities of their new role then they are entirely unsuited to doing it.

Having said that, I suspect the issue is more often seen the other way around! (AFISO qualification stretching to ATCO actions)
Talkdownman, Hawkwind, Rob L and 1 others liked this
Kemble Pitts wrote:With all (any) due respect to any FISOs on here; as with rats, FISOs are difficult to like...

Can I just put in a word for Jonathan at Wellesbourne? He's been on the microphone since I trained there in the 1980s, he still is, and does a wonderful job. I like him.

Rob P
Talkdownman wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:@Talkdownman for the majority, clearly :wink:, but for the small minority referenced. :D

I've always found the Wannabees to be the problem. ATCOs doing AFIS or A/G readily adapt to downgrading. I'm sure @vintage ATCO will agree.

I'd agree too, I was responding to @David Wood's experience of an. albeit alleged, controller coming 'down'.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Talkdownman wrote:As per my last Tx...

Say Again, you were stepped on... ;)

(Our posts crossed - I didn't see yours before "submit" :D)

Miscellaneous wrote:In fairness I think the list of those deserving of thanks will be significantly longer than the list of those deserving criticism.

Concur!
Talkdownman liked this
I now have this picture in my mind's eye of an A/G, a FISO and an ATCO. All three lined up with John Cleese playing the ATCO.

I agree with TDM, when I did my AFISO exams (many moons ago) it was very basic and there was no pretense of it being a 'mini me' type of thing. Having thumbed through the FISO manual recently I am astounded at how bloated it has become. All very unnecessary.

It's a good (and easy) source of drink tokens though, innit ?
Talkdownman wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:@Talkdownman for the majority, clearly :wink:, but for the small minority referenced. :D

I've always found the Wannabees to be the problem. ATCOs doing AFIS or A/G readily adapt to downgrading. I'm sure @vintage ATCO will agree.

Completely.
vintage ATCO wrote:
Talkdownman wrote:

Completely.

Well, as an ATCO you would say that. :wink: :wink: :D