Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
JAFO wrote:
Crash one wrote:If this virus is transmitted by aerosol or physical contact between contaminated surfaces and ones respiratory system. Is there a material that will filter the virus out and stop it being inhaled?
Or are we talking about a full NBC military rig or nothing?
Is wearing a mask pointless because it goes right through it?
Any medics, In other words, How small are the particles? Can a filter kill it? Can a filter collect it?
Just some thoughts, may have been covered, so don’t beat me to death.

This was posted on Twitter by UCD Centre for Precision Surgery, Mater Hospital Dublin a few days ago:

So it seems wearing a mask will stop most outgoing but not incoming.
JAFO liked this
TLRippon wrote:
SteveC wrote:
.....At the end of the day whatever our fears we all have to get working again and get the economy moving before the money runs out. My lettuce has grown beautifully during this period but none of the cash I planted at the same time has sprouted so we are back to earning it the old fashioned way.......

Spoken like true Capitalist.

Spoken like a true realist.... Capitalism has nothing to do with it. We have mouths to feed and bills to pay.......
Last edited by SteveC on Fri May 22, 2020 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
kanga, skydriller, Josh liked this
SteveC wrote:
TLRippon wrote:
SteveC wrote:
.....At the end of the day whatever our fears we all have to get working again and get the economy moving before the money runs out. My lettuce has grown beautifully during this period but none of the cash I planted at the same time has sprouted so we are back to earning it the old fashioned way.......

Spoken like a true realist. Capitalism has nothing to do with it. We have mouths to feed and bills to pay.......

Still seems your primary driver is money.
Crash one wrote:
JAFO wrote:
Crash one wrote:If this virus is transmitted by aerosol or physical contact between contaminated surfaces and ones respiratory system. Is there a material that will filter the virus out and stop it being inhaled?
Or are we talking about a full NBC military rig or nothing?
Is wearing a mask pointless because it goes right through it?
Any medics, In other words, How small are the particles? Can a filter kill it? Can a filter collect it?
Just some thoughts, may have been covered, so don’t beat me to death.

This was posted on Twitter by UCD Centre for Precision Surgery, Mater Hospital Dublin a few days ago:

So it seems wearing a mask will stop most outgoing but not incoming.

This one study and this graphic has been around for a while and it gets used to justify not wearing masks in many settings. However it seems to be in juxtaposition to many other studies. The sneeze catching data comes from a more recent study which I’ll go and find again now.
The thing to consider is that you can be a symptomatic for up to 14 days. During this period you can transmit the virus in your breath. So wearing a mask will protect others. That is the justification in the countries where it is recommended.
Last edited by TLRippon on Thu May 21, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanga, JAFO liked this
TLRippon wrote:
SteveC wrote:
TLRippon wrote:

Spoken like a true realist. Capitalism has nothing to do with it. We have mouths to feed and bills to pay.......

My primary driver is to keep my staff in jobs, pay the bills and move forward. That does indeed require money. Unfortunately my experiment in planting it and seeing if it would grow was failure so we have to go back to the old way of earning it.

However if you want to cover all our costs I am happy to sit on my ass and watch my raddish and lettuce grow. When can I expect the first cheque?

:lol:
kanga, skydriller liked this
SteveC wrote:
TLRippon wrote:
SteveC wrote:

My primary driver is to keep my staff in jobs, pay the bills and move forward. That does indeed require money. Unfortunately my experiment in planting it and seeing if it would grow was failure so we have to go back to the old way of earning it.

However if you want to cover all our costs I am happy to sit on my ass and watch my raddish and lettuce grow. When can I expect the first cheque?

:lol:

I genuinely hope it pays off.
TLRippon wrote:
SteveC wrote:
TLRippon wrote:

How else are people supposed to keep a roof over their head? Work has to resume at some stage.
kanga, SteveC, derekf and 4 others liked this
AndyR wrote:
TLRippon wrote:
SteveC wrote:

How else are people supposed to keep a roof over their head? Work has to resume at some stage.

When it's safe. Which in this country it isn't now according to the DfT. Perhaps Spain is different.

I remember a few weeks ago the Governor of Texas said that he was willing to sacrifice himself to Coronavirus for the sake of the economy. At the time he picked up a lot of flack from all sides. I guess he was right?
TLRippon wrote:I remember a few weeks ago the Governor of Texas said that he was willing to sacrifice himself to Coronavirus for the sake of the economy. At the time he picked up a lot of flack from all sides. I guess he was right?

Wonder what he meant by his statement.

Irrespective sacrificing the economy does not come without human consequences beyond those of CV19. It may shift the price paid to a different demographic though.

Why search for an ideal answer to a problem for which there isn't one? Accept the only way forward is compromise and get on with it. :D
Miscellaneous wrote:
TLRippon wrote:I remember a few weeks ago the Governor of Texas said that he was willing to sacrifice himself to Coronavirus for the sake of the economy. At the time he picked up a lot of flack from all sides. I guess he was right?

Irrespective sacrificing the economy does not come without human consequences beyond those of CV19. It may shift the price paid to a different demographic though.

Why search for an ideal answer to a problem for which there isn't one? Accept the only way forward is compromise and get on with it. :D

Because I'd still want all my staff to be alive at the end of it. (Sorry, speaking as staff nowadays).

This won't go on forever but I guess there are competitive advantages in being first out.
TLRippon wrote:Because I'd still want all my staff to be alive at the end of it. (Sorry, speaking as staff nowadays).

Which may be achievable if lockdown did not have other consequences and the economy could simply be switched on and off. Unfortunately the consequences of lockdown apply to staff.
By SteveC
TLRippon wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:

Because I'd still want all my staff to be alive at the end of it. (Sorry, speaking as staff nowadays).

This won't go on forever but I guess there are competitive advantages in being first out.

Its nothing about a competitive advantage. Its a pure and simple fact, if we wait any longer we won't be here for people to have jobs. People need to eat, pay bills and keep a roof over their heads. They have to earn money to do so. Without exception every single member of staff has stated they want to get back to work ASAP. Nobody is being pressurised and the message is clear that if they have any reservations then stay at home.

The governments here and the other countries have cleared us to get back to work so we are.

You can feel free to stay at home as long as you like....... :wink:
TLRippon wrote:When it's safe. Which in this country it isn't now according to the DfT. Perhaps Spain is different.

Well the DfT must have been involved in allowing commercial flight training to resume in UK...
SteveC liked this