Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
flyingeeza wrote:
Dave W wrote:"Compare with"

I should write it "cf." (as compared with "c.f.", as I did).

Oh I see...but...
Oh never mind. :D

Ok I’ll say it, “With” doesn’t start with “F”.

Is this one of these strange Oxford University illogical Latin things?
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:Perfectly logical Latin: "cf" expands to "confer", imperative of "conferre" meaning 'to compare' :)

(I was at Cambridge ..)

It certainly used to be used quite a bit in books I’ve read. Don’t see the problem with using it... no different to using eg or ie, albeit plenty seem to get the two back to front, or use one instead of the other...

(I wasn’t at Cambridge).

Ian
By Dave W
TLRippon wrote:... “Elitist”...

Because one poster (in a forty-one page thread) used "cf." in passing during a discussion?

And - as it happens - used it incorrectly?

Yep. The public are definitely, certainly, without question going to draw unassailable conclusions from that.

Perhaps the conclusion they might draw is "Some people see knowledge as bad thing."

Good grief.
kanga, flyguy, johnm liked this
By johnm
Latin abbreviation is an integral part of the language along with elements from Celt, Angle, Saxon, Norman French as well as the Indian sub-continent.

That is what makes the language so rich and expressive.

Are we back to dual flights now?
Something that has changed since my research days is that Latin abbreviations are no longer considered acceptable in academic writing - things like cf, loc. cit., op. cit., ibid. The reason given for this is that it is not reasonable to expect all your readers to have studied Latin in the 21st century to read, say, a historical or even scientific text.

Now, this is pretty ironic in my own field. You don’t do what I did unless you are fluent, and I mean fluent, in reading Mediaeval Latin. And I regret it. But I do see the logic.
kanga, johnm liked this
By Dave W
I have never studied Latin formally, and rarely consider the Flyer Forum an academic journal.

I do read many things and so am (e.g.) familiar with common usage, though.
kanga, johnm, NDB_hold liked this