Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By kanga
CAP1924 just issued:

"COVID 19 – Preparing to Return to Normal Flying Operations for General Aviation Pilot Training Organisations (‘Flying Clubs and Schools’)"

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CA ... ations.pdf

edited to add: and, also just now, for private pilots:

CAP1925: COVID 19 – Preparing to Return to Normal Flying Operations for General Aviation Private Pilots

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CA ... pilots.pdf
Last edited by kanga on Wed May 20, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By kanga
TLRippon wrote:This latest CAA document is about rusty flying skills more than disease mitigation.

former being CAA's area of authority and expertise, more than the latter .. :wink:

[I would not expect CAA - or DVLA for drivers - to give medical advice, beyond outlining occasions where qualified medical input is needed]
Includes such gems as “ Before you start to populate a flight programme, you will need to check availability of aircraft and Instructors.”.

Glad to see that the CAA doesn’t think that flying schools are capable of organising a piss-up in their own brewery.
I think it is more likely the DfT will decree that Flight Instruction is exempt from social distancing rules so long as PPE is used.
As much as it will be a difficult decision to participate, I don't think it will be that long before instruction begins again.
Miscellaneous liked this
I know where you are coming from Lobstaboy. I do see a significant number of FI’s though who are ready to risk it.
I think it may be difficult to refuse if you want to have a chance of retaining a client base, especially if you are self employed. I think there are wide differences in risk in different parts of the country.
There are also differing levels of demand around the country. I have a feeling that demand will be high in the first couple of weeks especially around currency checks and people just wanting to scratch the flying itch. Once the reality of most airfields still being closed to visitors, few cafes being open and the significant ground side restrictions/cleaning set in, I think demand will drop again until there is a wider opening up of society.
We reopen for all flight training in Spain at the end of the month. We have acceptable risk assessments in place, hygiene protocols and full availability of PPE that are acceptable to the authorities staff and students.

All staff and students make their own risk assessments and nobody will be compelled to fly, however all of the staff have stated they are happy and keen to get back to work and the students are chomping at the bit.

At the end of the day whatever our fears we all have to get working again and get the economy moving before the money runs out. My lettuce has grown beautifully during this period but none of the cash I planted at the same time has sprouted so we are back to earning it the old fashioned way.......
Flyingkeyboard wrote:I expect no instructional flights until social distancing is no longer a thing.

As a student 3/4 of the way through the PPL this is disappointing (especially with this amazing weather), however it gives me time to save up for flying hours post PPL.

Spare a thought for examiners. a typical PPL skills tests requires about 2.5 hours in the cockpit.
It not just about proximity but also duration.