Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By foxmoth
I can see lockdown being eased in the not too distant future but with the current school fleets and setup it will not be easy to return as quickly since most involve briefings in a small briefing room then instructors sitting next to a variety of students in side by side aircraft, certainly not ideal, so a couple of suggestions how to go on, please feel free to comment and add ideas!
1. No large group, i.e. mates, family to accompany the student
2. No trial lessons for people that are not really looking to continue (not policeable but can be encouraged)
3.Briefings either in a large room with space or outdoors
4. Flying only in suitable aircraft - anything open cockpit or tandem seating with temporary approval by the CAA for any suitable aircraft i.e. Tiger Moth, Chipmunk etc.
rogerb liked this
By MattL
No club visitors other than students.
Limited numbers of students per instructor.
Students and instructors in ‘bubbles’ of say 10 people that cannot cross mix.
No trial lessons.
I can see masks or face covering being recommended, gloves pointless I feel.
Personal headsets only.
Cleaning regime of aircraft post flight.
No passengers on training trips.
Start with the younger end of the instructor population!
I am afraid from previous bad experience I fear there will always be one pilot desperate to get airborne, maybe to get a dual hour in by Nov 22nd, who will turn up despite personal indications that they should be dialling 111 instead
AndyR, lobstaboy liked this
I dont know what the average age of a UK flying club is, but at the anual general meeting the week before kockdown here, I noted that most attending my Aeroclub here in France were over 50. Ill be there in a few years and I am one of about 5 younger members. Works out at 1 in 15 or so.

My concern is that I think (Ive never had to think about it before) our club rules say you must fly every 60 days or need to fly with an instructor. And the strip was waterlogged for 2 weeks preceeding the lockdown - in fact the whole winter has been very wet this year here. This means pretty much the whole aeroclub will possibly need to fly with our single instructor, himself over 50, in order to get back in the air.

Regards, SD..
@skydriller I know clubs with 30 days, 42 is also common. The weather since start of Autumn here was awful through to lock down with only a few flyable gaps of a few days but not just rain, many sunny days were far too windy.
flybymike liked this
A club requirement is not a legal requirement so can be changed, I would suggest they change it that anyone has to be approved for flight by an instructor, generally the instructors know the capabilities of members and could approve those they consider competent without needing a flight.
Stu B, Rob L, Bobcro liked this
foxmoth wrote:A club requirement is not a legal requirement so can be changed, I would suggest they change it that anyone has to be approved for flight by an instructor, generally the instructors know the capabilities of members and could approve those they consider competent without needing a flight.

Thats what Im hoping. Quite frankly I would prefer to fly by myself. I want to take it slow.

My proceedure would be to take off & go do some general handling exercises away from the airfield. When comfortable return to the circuit and do 3 or more circuits, and conciously have "throw away the landing" and go around, or if getting it on the ground be prepared to full stop. Finish with a PFL over the aerodrome.

Regards, SD..
AfricanEagle, T6Harvard liked this
A risk decision could be made. For example if someone has been working from home for the last month and adhered to the social distancing rules then the risk is a lot lower than someone who's day job is a nurse.

(Not that nurses are generally paid enough to have disposable income but it's just an example).

Each instructor to be assigned a specific aircraft and specific students.

Oh and landing fees paid by phone or account, so a landaway does not require much interaction except radio/phone.

As mentioned above check flights for club currency can be changed to a phone briefing, except for low hours PPL or long gaps, in which case a risk decision could be made

Flying clubs and schools by virtue of their business would manage risk, this is just another risk that needs to be managed.

Also a phased approach. Some students/pilots can wait a month or so to get back in the cockpit. No need for everyone to rush at once.
T6Harvard liked this
Nick wrote:Just a thought, but if using oxygen when doing dual flights would that work. Obviously all the rest of general cleanliness as well.

Nick

Not really, most O2 masks are not sealed masks so no protection against a virus and O2 in itself does not give any protection - maybe some sort of sealed mask with a hose running outside the cockpit would work!
Nick liked this
fit training fleets with a robotic arm that can be controlled by a flight instructor on the ground, then fit a tablet so they can facetime/zoom/skype call the student and do lessons as normal. FI can always override from the ground any control input? In all seriousness what are other industries doing? Driving lessons, face to face training in any industry, taxi drivers, bus/train companies. They will all come into close contact with each other and the general public. Find a solution for one and it'll prob fit for 90% of the issues.
Rob L wrote:
foxmoth wrote:Maybe something like this, add a mic inside and a tube on the snorkel end which goes out the window or DV WINDOW.

That raised a chuckle!

Maybe so but actually a possible way of doing it!
G-BLEW liked this
Private hire “taxis” appear to be still doing a fair bit of work by me. From what I have seen neither the drivers or their passengers appear to be too worried :shock: Not too dissimilar to two people in a light aircraft?

I wouldn’t get in either at the moment