Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By timjenner
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Maybe the person who's email address has been used is a secret benefactor planning to pay for everyone's Flyer Club membership going forward! :lol:

On a mildly related note (incorrect email addresses), I constantly get other people's emails thanks to Google ignoring dots in addresses. Lots of people don't realise that "joe.bloggs" at gmail.com, "joebloggs", "j.o.e.bloggs", etc all go to the same place. I have a namesake in Australia who seems incapable of giving people the right email address, apparently he had new air conditioning installed recently and his son is doing very well in the school rugby team. I have another namesake who is a member of a very expensive golf club in Virginia Water, recently test drove an Aston Martin DB11 and has expressed interest in a DBX. How the other half live!
By Cardinal Sin
Yes, I also have the p*n@gmail.com email address

Suspect @G-BLEW may need a rocket to his mailing house, not a self-report to the ICO.

I used to do personalised mass mailings. Bloomin' nightmare.... And probably much harder while locked down.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Cardinal Sin wrote:Yes, I also have the p*n@gmail.com email address

Suspect @G-BLEW may need a rocket to his mailing house, not a self-report to the ICO.

I used to do personalised mass mailings. Bloomin' nightmare.... And probably much harder while locked down.

Arrrrggggghhhhhhh

Between tearing our hair out we are igniting multiple rockets.

HUGE apologies.

Ian
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
simdam wrote:Shouldn't the paying customers of the club get a digital version free of ads?

Only if you want us to go out of business, sadly almost all magazines need both readers and advertisers, and we're no different.

Ian
By timjenner
For what it's worth, I don't mind (actually quite like) adverts in the magazine. I don't mind a few on the forum either - as long as they are not intrusive. I have regrettably stopped using one non-flying forum I used to frequent as they introduced excessive advertising which was deliberately designed to blend into forum threads by looking like normal posts. :(
By cockney steve
Hope there is a "Quick ending" to this cockup!

"Finally at the top of this letter you will see your subscriber number

Yes, well. Ignoring the grammatically incorrect lack of commas, there are two possible numbers at the "top". Above my name and address, there's a 4-digit number.

The introductory preamble states "Dear subscriber
Your membership number a1b23 .

So, is the unlabelled number my subscriber-number?
Such laxity and ambiguity from an organisation based on an activity where disciplined precision is key to survival. Tut, tut.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
cockney steve wrote:Hope there is a "Quick ending" to this cockup!

"Finally at the top of this letter you will see your subscriber number

Yes, well. Ignoring the grammatically incorrect lack of commas, there are two possible numbers at the "top". Above my name and address, there's a 4-digit number.

The introductory preamble states "Dear subscriber
Your membership number a1b23 .

So, is the unlabelled number my subscriber-number?
Such laxity and ambiguity from an organisation based on an activity where disciplined precision is key to survival. Tut, tut.

The last few weeks have been a bit like flying a microlight through a raging storm. We (I), should have done a better job of holding heading and altitude. If you drop me an email (ics at seager dot aero) with your full details, I'll be able to confirm the correct number.

Thanks

Ian
PS Our comma delivery was delayed, so we rationed them.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Rob L wrote:

(and others reporting the same problem): The remedy is simple; do not use Gmail, Hotmail or AOL as your primary email address.

Our mailing house clearly got this badly wrong, for which I apologise. I'm not sure what the gmail etc thing has to do with it though?

Thanks

Ian
By Rob L
G-BLEW wrote:
Rob L wrote:

(and others reporting the same problem): The remedy is simple; do not use Gmail, Hotmail or AOL as your primary email address.

Our mailing house clearly got this badly wrong, for which I apologise. I'm not sure what the gmail etc thing has to do with it though?

Thanks

Ian

The ones I quoted are much more prone to hacking and other malware (perhaps not relevant to this thread though). I'm not an expert, so it's just my observation.
Rob
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Rob wrote:The ones I quoted are much more prone to hacking and other malware (perhaps not relevant to this thread though). I'm not an expert, so it's just my observation.

Got it thanks. This was good old-fashioned snail mail, it somehow got messed up at the mail-merge stage by a mailing house that we have used without issue for years.

I am not happy.

Ian
By johnm
Fret not @G-BLEW in the great grand scheme of things it's a mere bagatelle and you'll have got a whole load of correct email addresses from those of us who got the erroneous letters :-)

It'll get fixed I doubt not and you are perforce doing this radical change under the public scrutiny of a good many expert critics in a very short time :-)
By Bobcro
Well done, excellent 1st digital issue much easier to read as I can expand the text to suit ambient lighting and my eyesight. The ability to take and save a screen print of any must have gadget that is of interest.

Just waiting for the industry to be pro-active and stop dithering about starting flying again so I can use your free landings offer.