Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Cardinal Sin
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob L wrote:
The ones I quoted are much more prone to hacking and other malware (perhaps not relevant to this thread though). I'm not an expert, so it's just my observation.
Rob

This isn’t about hacking though. I suspect that the email address that everybody got in their subscription letter is either a dummy one, or a test email address (perhaps the email address of the person managing the mailing) put in by the mailing house, which never got replaced with a MailMerge field.

Either way, it’s nothing more than an erroneous piece of information and does not, I think, represent any form of hacking.
By Colonel Panic
This may have been mentioned before, but on the launch page of the new online magazine is a large white box at the bottom with "Allow all cookies" and "Show details". But it seems impossible to get rid of it unless I accept cookies ... which I'm afraid I'd rather not do. It blocks out the foot of each and every page. Is this a design feature or something that can changed?
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Colonel Panic wrote:This may have been mentioned before, but on the launch page of the new online magazine is a large white box at the bottom with "Allow all cookies" and "Show details". But it seems impossible to get rid of it unless I accept cookies ... which I'm afraid I'd rather not do. It blocks out the foot of each and every page. Is this a design feature or something that can changed?

Will email issuu support to find out.

Thanks

Ian
By TheKentishFledgling
Nick wrote:In a word DREADFUL!
I will not accept cookies and it would seem I have to.
Sorry I will cancel my direct debit.

Nick

Do you not think it’s worth giving Flyer a chance to fine tune this new method of content delivery?! It may a simple fix once Ian has spoken to issuu. And I’m pretty sure the folk are looking at making the magazine available in other formats too.

If nothing else, surely the forum is worth a few quid a month while the new Flyer club gets up and running?
By Nick
I have said before that the forum IS worth paying for.

I don't expect to pay for what is effectively a poorly scanned magazine, that is difficult to read. I will not accept cookies and pay.
After all the 'Fanfare', I expected it to be readable. Take a look at the digital BMAA magazine. That is OK. And worked from the very first copy.
I will see how it pans out but I don't even want the free version. Thanks very much.

Nick
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Nick wrote:I have said before that the forum IS worth paying for.

I don't expect to pay for what is effectively a poorly scanned magazine, that is difficult to read. I will not accept cookies and pay.
After all the 'Fanfare', I expected it to be readable. Take a look at the digital BMAA magazine. That is OK. And worked from the very first copy.
I will see how it pans out but I don't even want the free version. Thanks very much.

Nick

Hi Nick

I know that digital is not for everyone, but DREADFUL and poorly scanned suggests that there is a problem of some kind, No scanning is involved, I don't think digital mags have been done like that for years.

I've emailed support and am trying to resolve the cookie issue.

Would you mind sending me some details such as hardware and perhaps a screenshot so that I can try and figure out what's happening?

Thanks

Ian
By eltonioni
Whatever you think of the format, there isn't a future without website cookies. Not accepting then from a site you presumably otherwise trust is a bit like sticking with a horse and plough when everyone else is riding tractors.
By johnm
Absolutely first rate given the short time to pull it altogether. Accepting cookies and adverts from a site we trust and value is a no brainer.

I have scanned from cover to cover and noted the free landings are in it.

I have read some articles

All this on an iPad mini which involved a little bit of zoom and unzoom but that’s quite convenient

All in all a great start to the new regime and I’m sure it’ll get even better as the teething troubles are found and tackled.

Congrats to @G-BLEW and team
By riverrock
Clearly July Edition is still really designed for print (pictures spread over two pages don't work when viewing PDFs one page below the next ) so I look forward to seeing how the team evolves the publication over time.
Current version isn't readable on my Kindle (zooming and scrolling hasn't ever been good on a Kindle), and I really can't get a feel for layout when constantly zooming on a phone, moving up and right to find the next colum, so I have been reading on my touch screen laptop to use it's bigger screen.
Pictures in a 76 page PDF are never going to be pin sharp (or the download size would be far too big) but the text is text so it should always be perfectly sharp.

Full of great content as ever!
By johnm
Now had a go at reading on the PC big screen, I get the two page presentation, which works well but would suggest the text font size is a bit too small and the print density a bit too high. Meantime reading on the iPad mini will do nicely.
By Shoestring Flyer
I have so far tried to read it on a Laptop and also on a Desktop and whilst understanding that it is a first attempt at a digital magazine and will have some glitches I must say it is not at all easy reading.
You have to zoom in to read the page and then when going to the next page the zoom reverts back to zero so you have to adjust the zoom each time to each page!

I too also object to the mandatory acceptance of cookies! :evil:

I will try and persevere for a while with the new venture but it will need to improve!