Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By EdH
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
johnm wrote:Oldies find screen reading a bit odd as we've always been used to paper material in our formative years, but many find Kindle and the like appealing and I am quite willing to adapt.

A few older readers who have mailed me in the past about font size, have gone on to find that the digital edition, and is ability to zoom, makes for a better reading experience.

I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who has said they're keeping their subscription and supporting the magazine. It means a lot to the whole team here that make FLYER. We'll miss print, and who knows, we may find a way back to that in time. But for now this was the right choice to keep making the magazine we know and love.
By biggrobb
G-BLEW wrote:
biggrobb wrote:Hang on, does this mean I wont be receiving the printed mag I've subscribed to? I got the email and it spoke of not clogging up closed branches of whsmith with unsold copies, but didn't say all printing would stop and I wont be getting the mag any more.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Yes, sorry, Flyer will now be distributed digitally. As a subscriber you are automatically a founder member of The Flyer Club (which has things like the free landing fees and extra content).

We will obviously be happy to refund you for all remaining issues of your subscription if The Flyer Club is not for you. Although we'll be working very hard to make The Flyer Club that everyone thinks is amazing value for £2.50 a month.

Ian
Ian, I've no particular problem with being moved to a digital only subscription, it may have been worth the announcement actually saying that though.

Will the digital version be a civilised format like a downloadable pdf, or will it be stuck in one of those awful ebook reader type apps where max zoom on an ipad mini is almost but not quite legible?

By EdH
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
biggrobb wrote:Ian, I've no particular problem with being moved to a digital only subscription, it may have been worth the announcement actually saying that though.

Will the digital version be a civilised format like a downloadable pdf, or will it be stuck in one of those awful ebook reader type apps where max zoom on an ipad mini is almost but not quite legible?

Rob, thanks for the support. The digital format FLYER will be a downloadable PDF - we want it to be as good a reading experience as possible for all.
By townleyc
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have never found a digital magazine that I can read. They are always made to look like a magazine, so you need to be zooming in and out like mad, and even then that doesn't always work.

Big Harrumphhhh

KE
By Sir Morley Steven
The Left Hander did it first!

I will be sad not to have the printed version. I am getting used to the Grauniad on screen so we will see.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
townleyc wrote:I have never found a digital magazine that I can read. They are always made to look like a magazine, so you need to be zooming in and out like mad, and even then that doesn't always work.

Big Harrumphhhh

KE

Our plan is to make the experience as good as we possibly can. There are different challenges and different compromises, some things that are easier, some harder etc.

Brgds

Ian
By Shoestring Flyer
Not over the moon about this and like others have said I personally struggle with digital magazines and lose patience with them after a few minutes.
Having said all that I guess I am willing to try it and see how it goes....
By townleyc
Thanks Ian - I look forwards to an improvement. I just tried the pocket mags online reader on the current edition, which I regards as unusable.

It also seems to be based on an image, hence no flowing text etc.

Best of luck with the new model

Regards

KE
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Flying_john wrote:Was this a mass emailing or being done bit by bit.
No email here !

You should have had it just after 11am this morning. Can you ping me your email address and postcode and I will check it agains the DB to see what's happened.

Thanks

Ian
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
townleyc wrote:Thanks Ian - I look forwards to an improvement. I just tried the pocket mags online reader on the current edition, which I regards as unusable.

It also seems to be based on an image, hence no flowing text etc.

Best of luck with the new model

Regards

KE

Thanks, from a market research point of view, how important is flowing text to you, and why?

Brgds

Ian
PS If you'd be happy to have a call to discuss reader experience, could you send me a message with a number and convenient time? Thanks
By timjenner
Understand the thinking but disappointed and not sure I agree, especially if the intention is never to return to print even when life returns to "normal". :(

My 5 year old daughter even burst into tears when I told her as she enjoyed looking through the physical magazine with me and cutting out pictures when I'd finished reading!
By RobertPBham
I will certainly miss the print edition (and I’m a youngster that uses computer everyday) but I understand the decision at this current time.

Out of interest though, what was the thinking to giving the magazine away for free? I’d imagine all current subscribers (I’m one) would have accepted the swap to digital without issue. I’ve never used the free landing vouchers mostly due to subscribing to the magazine for the content - I already have a Readly subscription and could obtain Flyer via that before I’ve always liked the paper magazine!
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
timjenner wrote:Understand the thinking but disappointed and not sure I agree, especially if the intention is never to return to print even when life returns to "normal". :(

My 5 year old daughter even burst into tears when I told her as she enjoyed looking through the physical magazine with me and cutting out pictures when I'd finished reading!

Hi

If there's a viable print market when things get back to normal then we'll be there. Sorry to hear about your aviation-minded daughter. If you PM me your address, I'll grab some back issues to keep her busy next time I pop to the office.

Thanks

Ian