Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm not a fan of the issuu app.

I used up three personal ids trying to register an account, as the first two attempts weren't successful but nevertheless blocked me from using the ids again. The app is pretty unintuitive but fairly crude, so it doesn't take long to work your way around it, but IMHO it provides a worse experience than just reading the mag in the browser, even on an iPad.

I'm aware that it's a stepping stone to a more fully featured platform at some point soon, so I'm not too stressed about it - I download all mags as pdfs to GoodReader anyway, where I can snip out articles, bookmark pages, delete irrelevant pages etc. so that's what I'll do with from now on.

Edit to add - I'm not trying to sound grumpy, honest! Ian and team have done a great job in reacting to circumstances. It's a really good start and will only get better, I'm sure.
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed May 13, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
'morning all, quick update…first some context…

When we started creating the July issue it was going to be a print magazine. There's been huge amounts of work behind the scenes, and while this is certainly not perfect, it is the first step on what I expect will be a journey of continual improvement and development.

Cookies. I am in discussion with the support team and hope to have some news later today
Resolution. There are some issues with some pages from a resolution point of view. We're fixing that, and right now I am confident that later today we will have a better version uploaded*.

It's been less than 24 hours since this was released – it's already in the rear-view mirror as we start down the road of continual improvement. Settle in, enjoy the scenery and join us on our journey.

Thanks

Ian
*I realise that I may need to eat some humble pie later, but right now I'm confident.
By johnm
As the like is not available here @G-BLEW :thumleft: :thumleft:
By ChampChump
I must have a problem. I can read it on my PC without having to log in to anything, there are no pop-up annoyances and it behaves as well as any other e-magazine I've seen.

Still hoping the print version return, though.
By Nick
G-BLEW wrote:
Nick wrote:I have said before that the forum IS worth paying for.

I don't expect to pay for what is effectively a poorly scanned magazine, that is difficult to read. I will not accept cookies and pay.
After all the 'Fanfare', I expected it to be readable. Take a look at the digital BMAA magazine. That is OK. And worked from the very first copy.
I will see how it pans out but I don't even want the free version. Thanks very much.

Nick

Hi Nick

I know that digital is not for everyone, but DREADFUL and poorly scanned suggests that there is a problem of some kind, No scanning is involved, I don't think digital mags have been done like that for years.

I've emailed support and am trying to resolve the cookie issue.

Would you mind sending me some details such as hardware and perhaps a screenshot so that I can try and figure out what's happening?

Thanks

Ian

Firstly I feel I should apologize to you. I did go off half cocked out of frustration. I have e mailed you.

Nick
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Update:

If you follow the links, there's now a higher resolution version. There are still a couple isolated issues, but the clarity should be significantly better, and we're working on finding the remaining pixels.

Cookies. I have heard back from the tech support team, and this is their answer…

…Issuu is GDPR compliant and users have to accept essential cookies in order to use our services. You can opt-out nonessential cookies from the banner as shown in the screenshot…

That may not be the perfect, but I suspect that it is the best we are going to get.

Now that the first digital issue has been released, we have started work on the next part of the plan. You will see the results of this in about two months. We're excited and confident that you'll love it too.

Next week the members area opens, and if you've got nothing better to do tomorrow night, join us for a livestream on Flyer's Facebook page at 19:30 - with a bit of luck we might be able to talk about a return to flying (fingers crossed).

Thanks

Ian
By Colonel Panic
Thanks for looking in to this, @G-BLEW - but what I see on my screen (both Safari & Chrome, macOS) is not the same. I can't deselect any non essential cookies. This might be down to my network-wide Pi-Hole (which Wiki describe as Pi-hole is a Linux network-level advertisement and Internet tracker blocking application which acts as a DNS sinkhole), but I don't think so as even when I turn it off I still can't untick any cookies. I am not running any other ad-blocking software.

By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
@Colonel Panic

I've just received this…

Hi Ian

We are still showing the older cookies banner on some pages where it's not possible to opt-out of Issuu cookies. I'll get back to you once I have any update about that. I really apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thanks for your patience.
By scottish_ppl
Dipped in for a look via the link above, loved the Matt Deardon column, what a brilliant story.

And edited to add that having made my coffee and sat down for a proper read, it made for a good issue. Might be dragged kicking into this digital reading lark after all... The Vashon Ranger article was of a lot of interest to see what made Ken Krueger leave Vans. Nice run through the early magazine history and rationale for the changes there too, makes a very positive case for the Flyer future.

No technical hiccups for me, straight in and read. Cookies, couldn't care less. Content, usual quality stuff :thumright:
By GeorgeJLA
Finished reading the Digital Issue on my iPad - no issues, and was pleasantly surprised that it was ok. I do miss the print version but understand the reasons and to be honest, the wife will be happy at the reduced clutter! Do you have any plans to release the back issues as Digital versions?

Thanks!

G