Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Also highlighted in the Licensing forum.

Thank you and well done, CAA.

CAP 1913 provides plain English guidance on the various recent CAA licensing and medical exemptions (ORS4 Nos 1353, 1370, 1385 and 1378), to whom they apply, for how long and what is needed to be done by pilots etc.

I'll link to this in the summary sticky at the top of the page.
PaulB, Kemble Pitts, DavidC liked this
Sorry but I just don't understand why a "typical" PPL holder cannot understand the original ORS4? When you pass the exams to obtain the licence you are supposed to be demonstrating that you have read and understood air law and a lot more besides. So if we need documents such as CAP 1913, something must be going wrong with the training and/or examination system.
JAFO liked this
WhoWhenWhy? wrote:Sorry but I just don't understand why a "typical" PPL holder cannot understand the original ORS4? When you pass the exams to obtain the licence you are supposed to be demonstrating that you have read and understood air law and a lot more besides. So if we need documents such as CAP 1913, something must be going wrong with the training and/or examination system.

But the manuals published by Trevor Thom and AFE et al, that I suspect most of us used to learn the ground subjects weren’t written like an ORS, but in easy to read English...

Ian
Dave W, seanxair, skydriller liked this
Highland Park wrote:
WhoWhenWhy? wrote:Sorry but I just don't understand why a "typical" PPL holder cannot understand the original ORS4? When you pass the exams to obtain the licence you are supposed to be demonstrating that you have read and understood air law and a lot more besides. So if we need documents such as CAP 1913, something must be going wrong with the training and/or examination system.

But the manuals published by Trevor Thom and AFE et al, that I suspect most of us used to learn the ground subjects weren’t written like an ORS, but in easy to read English...

Ian

Perhaps that is part of the problem. The training material shields pilots from having to read a lot of the source documents. ATCOs have to know and understand the source documents and, as a result, tend to have a better understanding.
WhoWhenWhy? wrote:[
Perhaps that is part of the problem. The training material shields pilots from having to read a lot of the source documents. ATCOs have to know and understand the source documents and, as a result, tend to have a better understanding.

Might they have a better understanding because its their job whereas its our hobby?
Dave W wrote:Also highlighted in the Licensing forum.

Thank you and well done, CAA.

CAP 1913 provides plain English guidance on the various recent CAA licensing and medical exemptions (ORS4 Nos 1353, 1370, 1385 and 1378), to whom they apply, for how long and what is needed to be done by pilots etc.

Are you sure??? .... I finally managed to load it (huge processing power and time to dynamically process a multi layered pdf of only 6 pages). Try and match the process described in 1913 against what is required by ors4 1385 to extend an sep(land) rating (Page 3 of 1913).... As @AndyR says, doesn't match, even though 1913 is only a top level summary.... good job not many will have time to load 1913 but I am now wasting time dealing with a pilot who has read 1913 and won't accept it does not cover the proper process.
i've wasted 2 hours today 'discussing' a mismatch of meeting-of-minds - after much to-ing and fro-ing and minor confusion, it finally came out he is reading and believing 1913 page 3, when I am reading and believing ors4 1385... complete mismatch, another 2 hours of my life wasted, and who knows how many 2 hour slots left! It isn't just a unclear English interpretation of the same process, it's a completely different process!
Dave W wrote:Well, let's say that's what they claimed.

Ah, so you couldn't afford the ten minutes needed to load and page 1913 on a normal device either! ;-)
Dave W liked this