Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
seanxair wrote:
I've now had two sets of clip-ons made for my varifocals, one brown non-polarised with a hinge to lift up if required and one a bluey/grey polarised version which clips on but doesn't have the hinge. Love both and have flown with both perfectly well.

Where did you get your clip ons made ? I’d really like to explore this option.
By seanxair
Rame Optique, 1 Place du Mal Leclerc, Civray, Nouvelle-Aquitaine whilst on holiday!

Sorry

Edited to say I had the brown ones made and was so impressed I went back for the others. 24 hour turnaround. Lens are acrylic (?) possibly but very good quality and no distortion. No reason why a UK optician couldn't do the same. I may even have the lens name somewhere.
By Lefty
seanxair wrote:Rame Optique, 1 Place du Mal Leclerc, Civray, Nouvelle-Aquitaine whilst on holiday!

Sorry

Edited to say I had the brown ones made and was so impressed I went back for the others. 24 hour turnaround. Lens are acrylic (?) possibly but very good quality and no distortion. No reason why a UK optician couldn't do the same. I may even have the lens name somewhere.

Thanks. I’ve asked perhaps 3-4 bespoke opticians if the did this, but so far, they’ve only tried to sell me expensive specs. I wear tri-focals that cost £6-800 per pair, and the opticians were suggesting I buy a second pair with darkened lenses ( at considerably more £800).

I have to resort to large wrap overs, which are very unattractive.
By seanxair
I could not believe how easy it all was in France. Don't know what flying you do (I just do local) but if you have ever been to Abbeville every second shop is an optician. Very feasible to have them made on a trip of a few days I would have said. I'll take pictures of mine and pm them to you
By Lefty
seanxair wrote:I could not believe how easy it all was in France. Don't know what flying you do (I just do local) but if you have ever been to Abbeville every second shop is an optician. Very feasible to have them made on a trip of a few days I would have said. I'll take pictures of mine and pm them to you

Great. What did they cost ?

I see a trip to Abbeville coming up shortly after we get flying again.
By Lefty
seanxair wrote:Pm sent. You may need to copy and paste for the photo

All received - many thanks.
I’ve got some of the spring loaded type, but
(a) they need two hands to put on / take off (difficult to do quickly) and
(b) they sit in contact with the front of the lenses of your specs - and marked the lenses.

I’ll have another go at getting some flip up’s made.
By seanxair
My spring loaded seem to sit just far enough off the lens to be ok. They are definitely less easy to get on and off though I can do it when driving so possibly could flying. The flip ups are easy but you have to train yourself to ignore the bits you can see. I'm impressed with both lens though and the price and service I got at Rame was outstanding.
By SteveX
Not about Oakley but it's the main hit that came up re. glasses when searching.

Not wishing to pay stupid rip off money over £200 for a pair of shades (that let's face it are no different in the air to out walking in a clear sky) these made by Rapid came up when I searched suppliers: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rapid-Eyewear- ... SUNGLASSES

Anyone have anything bad to say about them? In the interests of competition and highlighting attempts to extract extra money from those in the hobby, let it be known £49 Amazon, £84 (plus postage) at Transair.
By gaxor
Chris1988 wrote:Hi,
Oakley brought out new prizm lens which are new lens technology.
Has anyone tried them for flying (airline or GA)? Got any thoughts.
Not polarized, just prizm lens.

Thanks in advance

I use Prizm lenses for skiing - they are very good at enhancing contrast in white out conditions
Although to take full advantage they recommend different colours for different lighting - should suit the £5K watch pilot
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Rob P
Perceived wisdom when I learned to fly was that any colour is a compromise, none handles all conditions. Grey was generally preferred but its probably down to personal choice in the end.

Rob P