Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It’s a trademark with the following description.

PRIZM is a new Oakley lens technology that fine tunes vision for specific environments. The lenses work to emphasize colors where the eye is most sensitive to detail, which in return, helps to enhance performance and safety.

Iceman 8)
By Human Factor
I’ve worn Serengeti Driver’s Gradient for years at work. Nothing comes close.

I also have Randolph and Rayban in various cars and flight bags and have had Oakley in the past. None are bad, Serengeti win. That said, my current daily knocking around ones (cycling, outdoor stuff) are a tenner's worth of Bolle. 8)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Iceman wrote:It’s a trademark with the following description.

PRIZM is a new Oakley lens technology that fine tunes vision for specific environments. The lenses work to emphasize colors where the eye is most sensitive to detail, which in return, helps to enhance performance and safety.

So pretty much what Serengeti have always done then with the Drivers? ;-)

I also have Serengeti gradient drivers in prescription lenses, ordered through my optician when I was 21. My prescription has changed a little but not much and they still work. However they're the proper old glass lenses and can get a little uncomfortable if worn all day. For every day use I've had some cheap Chinese prescription sunglasses made in aviator frames and tried to order them specifically to emulate the Serengetis as much as possible. Not too bad for under £20! ;-)
By PeteSpencer
I like the look of Serengetis and want to get some prescription varifocal sunnies (rather than photochromic which don't work in the cockpit and make me look a tw at on a bright winter's day.)

Does anyone know if Serengetis are available in plastic prescription lenses:

My first ever flying sunnies were bifocal glass and tho I looked Joe Cool, they wore great dents in my nose because of their weight.

Peter
By Paul_Sengupta
PeteSpencer wrote:Does anyone know if Serengetis are available in plastic prescription lenses

Yes. In fact I think they only do plastic now unless you make a special request. (actually looking at the website you can choose Trivex (plastic) or Borosilicate Glass. The glass lenses are the D's B's, but depending on the frame size, can be a little heavy. I believe they're also more expensive. Expect the whole thing to be quite expensive...

You might have to find an optician who can order direct from Serengeti in the US.

https://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/en/rx-program

The map says in your area there are two:

EDWARD WATTS OPTICIANS, 14 CHELMSFORD ROAD, SHENFIELD, BRENTWOOD, CM15 8RQ

D H THOMAS OPTICIANS, 162 HILLS ROAD, Cambridge, CB2 2PB
PeteSpencer liked this
By riverrock
CAA quite rightly still say you should use neutral colour lenses. https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Visual/Guidance-on-the-use-of-sunglasses-for-pilots/

All of these enhancing lenses work by filtering other light frequencies. If an aircraft is the colour of a filtered frequency then they reduce your chances of seeing it.
By Human Factor
To quote the CAA:

The tint should be neutral in colour. In practice, grey or brown are acceptable. The tint should be no darker than 80% absorption. A graduated tint (darkest at the top of the lens and lightening towards the bottom) may be useful.

That’s basically the description of Serengeti DG (brown). They are also very slightly photochromic but not to an extent that it makes a difference on the flight deck.
By PeteSpencer
Now I'm really confused : The Serengeti website indicates that the vast majority of Serengetis are polarised, and photochromic, two of the very features that I want to avoid as neither are recommended for flying.

And the number of models: there's fahsends of them.

Could anybody help me out and stick a model name or number on a pair of Serengetis that are neutral grey, not polarised or photochromic please?

And preferably thin arm so as not to interfere too much with ANR DCs.

TIA

Peter
By Lerk
Is the advice on photochromic lenses still valid with more recent (past decade at least - which I suppose would represent lightning fast reaction speed for the CAA) photochromic lenses which are designed to work in cars with UV Glass?

I wear photochromic lenses of this variety and have never felt the need for any more tint whilst flying 8) - indeed until I read the post above I hadn't realised that they were not advised, although I had heard the advice RE: Polarised lenses.