Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulB
Some of the Facebook pilots have really got their collective knickers in a twist about the Blackbushe flight. Some of the comments certainly dispel any thought that pilots are any sort of superior being.

I dread to think what's being said over on the dried fruit forum.
By rikur_
patowalker wrote:
GonzoEGLL wrote:Everyone around here noticed. Literally everyone I came across that day who knows I work in aviation asked me why those aircraft were flying, ...

A friend who lives about 10 miles from Blackbushe sent me a message saying "It looks like the light aircraft community has decided to come out and play, at least judging by the number flying over us this lovely morning. All of them unusually high. Perhaps they think they won't be noticed."

hopefully it was just a blip as everyone caught up on a backlog of maintenance / engine health flights, and things will calm back down

not sure what others saw elsewhere, but the Vale of York still seemed pretty quiet - we'd normally get a lot of Sherburn/Breighton/Full Sutton traffic overhead, and didn't hear anything over the weekend. Whether there's less engine health flying up north, or more space to avoid people?

I suspect this won't be the only area where we see a surge as restrictions are clarified/adjusted ... I for one won't be going near the coast in the first week that travelling to the coast is permitted again.

tomtytom wrote:If only they had followed my post 5 ciders facebook advice of only flying in straight up and down lines pretending to be a survey flight, no one would of given them a 2nd look........

that's what I did, albeit primarily to avoid the noise being concentrated on one farm or hamlet (all well away from any towns and villages)
By gasman
rikur_ wrote:not sure what others saw elsewhere, but the Vale of York still seemed pretty quiet - we'd normally get a lot of Sherburn/Breighton/Full Sutton traffic overhead, and didn't hear anything over the weekend.

Sherburn are not allowing private owners to undertake engine maintenance flights (ask me how I know :evil: ).
Rob P, rikur_ liked this
By gasman
Sherburn have an ongoing problem with noise complaints from local villagers.
I was told by the airfield manager that flying activity during the “lockdown” would inflame the situation with locals.
By romille
gasman wrote:not sure what others saw elsewhere, but the Vale of York still seemed pretty quiet - we'd normally get a lot of Sherburn/Breighton/Full Sutton traffic overhead, and didn't hear anything over the weekend.

Breighton is effectively closed, aircraft owners are allowed one two hour maintenance visit a month, no flying.
Given the current situation in the UK, I agree it is the way it should be as we don't want to be seen to be breaking the lockdown and antagonising others.
Last edited by romille on Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
By gasman
Miscellaneous
I have to be very very circumspect what I say on a public forum.
I have a IO -540 and Lycoming advise against ground runs. I am also advised that the engine should be flown immediately before inhibition.
I offered to fly to the East (little habitation), fly 10nm radius circuits at 5000ft followed by a glide approach .
I will pm you in confidence.
gasman wrote:Miscellaneous, I have to be very very circumspect what I say on a public forum.

Understood. :thumright:

romille wrote:I agree it is the way it should be as we don't want to be seen to be breaking the lockdown and antagonising others.

So you're advocating the right thing to do is desist from acting lawfully to appease those who don't understand the law and may wrongfully think we are breaking it? :?

I respectfully disagree this is how to should be. :wink:
flybymike, Antair, rdfb and 2 others liked this
By dr107flyer
I heard many many noisy motorbikes at the weekend .
The green eyed monster is alive an well , I wish it had got CV19.

The main issue with the CAA guidance is that we now have to wait for it to be rescinded before we can commence normal flying , meawhile the droves will head to b&q and shortly garden centres....
Last edited by dr107flyer on Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
gasman, Nick liked this
By GonzoEGLL
Miscellaneous wrote:
GonzoEGLL wrote:The big picture is that communities around airports are fighting an increasingly difficult battle against noise protestors/anti-airport groups. Anything they do is scrutinised to the nth degree by local groups. Antagonising those groups is not an answer.

We as an industry need to appreciate this.

We need to think about how all of our actions can come across, whatever the circumstances, let alone right now.

Absolutely we need to appreciate the impact on others and equally we have to think through our actions. However, it is equally important we don't let our actions be dictated by unreasonable groups intent only on seeing us grounded. I fear the incidence of pilots being virtually bullied is on the increase. Each time they get their way they move the goalposts and the greater the demands of those with the objective of seeing us grounded become.

The majority of us are considerate and don't want to unnecessarily upset anyone for any reason. It just appears we are being squeezed ever tighter. Consider the current situation where there are pilots deciding not to fly simply due to what some hard of thinking curtain twitchers will think.

Is not flying because of what someone unreasonable will think really helping our cause or harming it? :?

If only those complaining would have as much thought and appreciation for us! :evil:

Don't disagree with anything you've written, but at the end of the day those curtain-twitchers and unreasonable people get to elect local politicians, and those politicians are the same ones who we all want to support our local airfields from the property developers.