Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
You all know I'm not one to come down on the CAA's side, but one can't help feeling they might have been thinking:

"Will you lot please just quietly do what you gotta do for your engines, not draw attention to yourselves and not force us to issue a permissive edict which is going to look like really bad PR to the rest of the world."

As said, if you don't like the rules at your home airfield then go somewhere else. Your home airfield might be 'closed', but on neither a legal or practical level can they effectively impound your aircraft, at least while their decision to close is voluntary rather than government mandated. Fly it out if you don't like it.
TheFarmer, robert79, kanga and 3 others liked this
defcribed wrote:
flybymike wrote:
It’s the same with motorbikes at the moment. One or two pleasure rides (clearly not work/shopping trips) giving the entire biking community a bad name.

I use my motorbike for shopping on a nice day.
How can you possibly know it’s clearly not being used for that purpose?

Well the ones that go past my house on sunny days are race replicas with no built-in or add-on storage whatsoever and are being ridden by chaps in skin tight one piece leathers with no pockets or rucksacks.

So I doubt they're going shopping ;-)

They can't be going that fast if you can see if they have any pockets :lol: They might be going to the chemist or maybe they work in a hospital with a change of clothes there .

Your description sounds more like fantasy :o
As said, if you don't like the rules at your home airfield then go somewhere else. Your home airfield might be 'closed', but on neither a legal or practical level can they effectively impound your aircraft, at least while their decision to close is voluntary rather than government mandated. Fly it out if you don't like it.

My home airfield has a great big locked gate, so how does that work then!
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My son in law works as a paramedic and nurse in minor injuries units in Southampton and Addlestone as well as custody suites in Staines and surrounding areas. He goes by motor bike in full leathers.
Cardinal Sin, flybymike, joystick and 2 others liked this
By TheFarmer
defcribed wrote:You all know I'm not one to come down on the CAA's side, but one can't help feeling they might have been thinking:

"Will you lot please just quietly do what you gotta do for your engines, not draw attention to yourselves and not force us to issue a permissive edict which is going to look like really bad PR to the rest of the world."

Spot on, both about the CAA and flying.
defcribed wrote:
flybymike wrote:
It’s the same with motorbikes at the moment. One or two pleasure rides (clearly not work/shopping trips) giving the entire biking community a bad name.

I use my motorbike for shopping on a nice day.
How can you possibly know it’s clearly not being used for that purpose?

Well the ones that go past my house on sunny days are race replicas with no built-in or add-on storage whatsoever and are being ridden by chaps in skin tight one piece leathers with no pockets or rucksacks.

So I doubt they're going shopping ;-)

I'm a keen Motorcyclist and have 2.
Recently a nearby A road has been hosting a few impromptu Races by these chaps on very nice fast bikes (well the weather has been great) no police around so they fill their boots.

Thing is, there will allways be these people their chosen pastime will come under fire but really its not because they are Bikers/Pilots/Yachties whatever its just that that they are @rseholes every corner of society has them
johnm, kanga, PaulB and 3 others liked this
flybymike wrote:
Now we can't fly because the aerodrome doesn't want us to.

Must admit that Matt Wilkins in his recent interview with the flying reporter, didn’t seem overly concerned by the current restrictions having any significant financial impact on Old Buck, at least for the moment.

He mentioned to me once that landing fees and fuel sales generate about 5% of their net income. So yeah, I guess they aren't terribly concerned that there's no flying.
In any case, the owner bought the place because he likes aeroplanes and wanted to own an airfield, not to make a fortune.
By Cowshed
Cardinal Sin wrote:Talk to Ops. Do you have local operator indemnity?

Thanks CS. Its a share-o-plane, though I do have an in date indemnity form in place. The Group decision at the moment is to wait it out, but I will follow up on your suggestion (would be useful to know our options). I anticipate they won't want to make exemptions mainly due to the PR around it, and I wouldn't entirely blame them.
defcribed wrote:You all know I'm not one to come down on the CAA's side, but one can't help feeling they might have been thinking:

I have found in the aviation community especially with many pilots that they spend too much time thinking of a reason why they shouldn't do something rather than thinking of the best way to actually achieve something.
By cockney steve
@malcolmfrost
said
why are people allowed to ride motorbikes, probably the most dangerous form of transport ever invented!

WRONG!!!! It's usually the knobbers in cars, that either have no full licence, or had an examiner with a white walking-stick and a Labrador :shock:

My late mother took around 17 tests , having returned from years in the Bahamas (Pindling Gov.t kicked them out) Her and stepfather lived in the Isle of Wight.....one roundabout, 2 sets of lights. She could walk the test-routes in her sleep, but zero situational awareness, too busy looking at shop-windows, flowers, scenery. Wisely, local examiner failed her yet-again, so the idiot Instructor appealed and a supervisory bod was sent from the mainland for the retest, from which she was given a pass (automatic only )
totally lethal! managed to misread the 30 foot high signs on the A1 when she had lived in Lincs for a few years , and got lost! Bikes are more manoeuverable, usually have a rider who appreciates they're vulnerable to invincible cretins in tin "tanks" , have a strongly-developed sense of self-preservation and can read the road ahead. It should be compulsory to ride at least 5,000 miles on a solo bike before being allowed to drive a car at all! :twisted:
joystick liked this