Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
  • 1
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
By IWF
#1818466
I’m new here, but have got both FS2020 and since Dec VR goggles. For GA I’ll never go back to 2d. VR is so immersive it’s catered for me a wish to try the real thing. I’m convinced it’ll help getting a ppl. I guess we’ll see :)
Rob P liked this
User avatar
By Rob P
#1818508
It won't help as much as you think, in fact many instructors will say that they spend time getting simmers out of the bad habits they have ingrained.

However, with the amazingly realistic scenery in the new FS2021 I can see it being a great aid for preparing for cross country flights and also things like overhead joins.

I have 'flown' a good few hours now on it. The idea of a VR set up is tempting, but since most of my 'flights' are in an external 'chase plane' view I am not hugely motivated to lash out the funds required, equating to some seven or eight hours flying the RV for real.

Rob P
#1818586
Chase plane view? Crikey, how different people are - I can't imagine being in anything other than cockpit view. I'd never understood the effort people put into skins and liveries.

I'm usually inside 8/8 stratus, too! Note - not 8/8 cumulus as that drops frame rate from 35 to under 10.
User avatar
By Rob P
#1818596
It never happened before the 2020 iteration, but the scenery is so lovely it seems a waste to cover it with an interior that bears no relation to my own aeroplane

Rob P
By IWF
#1818615
I highly recommend folk to try out VR if they can. Most people say they’ll never go back and several real pilots are very complimentary about it.

They haven’t sorted out how controllers work either. I prefer real switches but beyond a yoke, it’s complicated, because of course you can’t see anything outside of the headset.

The hardest thing to simulate for me is the trim wheel. I just can’t get the keyboard to reproduce the wheel effect
#1818696
IWF wrote:I highly recommend folk to try out VR if they can. Most people say they’ll never go back and several real pilots are very complimentary about it.

They haven’t sorted out how controllers work either. I prefer real switches but beyond a yoke, it’s complicated, because of course you can’t see anything outside of the headset.

The hardest thing to simulate for me is the trim wheel. I just can’t get the keyboard to reproduce the wheel effect


I agree with you with regards VR - I have the Oculus Quest connected by the Link cable and everyone who has tried it, has been blown away, the realism is good. I especially enjoy night VFR as you can really use the roads to navigate by.

Concerning trim, this is why I am glad that I bought the Saitek trim wheel when it was available; having said this, am waiting for the Honeycomb Bravo to be delivered to go alongside the Honeycomb Alpha - I ordered this back in August but still no delivery date.

If you've not seen this, look at YouTube reviews - I like the idea of changing the quadrant quickly and easily from SEP, MEP, twin Jet up to 4 engine Jet; the settings in FS2020 allow for individual profiles for each.....

Just wondering when the UK world update is coming - some time this month, I believe????
User avatar
By Rob P
#1818701
IWF wrote:.. is the trim wheel. I just can’t get the keyboard to reproduce the wheel effect


Wheel? How retro :lol:

Rob P
User avatar
By Rob P
#1818706
I love the sunroof winder!

One of the high spots of the Shiny Colt. The electric trim on the RV stick doesn't even come close.

Rob P
User avatar
By ls8pilot
#1818723
Rob P wrote:I love the sunroof winder!

One of the high spots of the Shiny Colt. The electric trim on the RV stick doesn't even come close.

Rob P


Long time since I flew with one of these - but I wonder, do you ever get to the point where you wind it the correct direction 1st time? :lol:

Some gliders (not my current one unfortunately) have an auto-trim where just pressing a button on the stick resets the trim spring at current stick position & hey-presto you are trimmed!
Last edited by ls8pilot on Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By Rob P
#1818727
ls8pilot wrote:- but I wonder, do you ever get to the point where you wind it the correct direction 1st time? :lol:


Yes.

The trick to remember is that the direction the handle is moving on 'your' side of the aircraft is also the direction of trim.

So if you want to trim down/forward. the handle is travelling forward when it is in the arc on the left of the aircraft, and if you want to trim back/up the handle is travelling backwards on the arc your side of the aircraft.

Rob P

That auto-trim sounds magic
User avatar
By kanga
#1818731
Rob P wrote:
IWF wrote:.. is the trim wheel. I just can’t get the keyboard to reproduce the wheel effect


Wheel? How retro :lol:

Rob P


'retro' would be a 'car window' winder in the roof .. :)

[do I detect a marketing opportunity ? :wink: ]
User avatar
By Chris-tt
#1818811
Full Metal Jackass wrote:
IWF wrote:I highly recommend folk to try out VR if they can. Most people say they’ll never go back and several real pilots are very complimentary about it.

They haven’t sorted out how controllers work either. I prefer real switches but beyond a yoke, it’s complicated, because of course you can’t see anything outside of the headset.

The hardest thing to simulate for me is the trim wheel. I just can’t get the keyboard to reproduce the wheel effect


I agree with you with regards VR - I have the Oculus Quest connected by the Link cable and everyone who has tried it, has been blown away, the realism is good. I especially enjoy night VFR as you can really use the roads to navigate by.

Concerning trim, this is why I am glad that I bought the Saitek trim wheel when it was available; having said this, am waiting for the Honeycomb Bravo to be delivered to go alongside the Honeycomb Alpha - I ordered this back in August but still no delivery date.

If you've not seen this, look at YouTube reviews - I like the idea of changing the quadrant quickly and easily from SEP, MEP, twin Jet up to 4 engine Jet; the settings in FS2020 allow for individual profiles for each.....

Just wondering when the UK world update is coming - some time this month, I believe????


My son got an Oculus Quest 2 for Christmas, he's got a fairly okay gaming PC. The frame-rate with MS Flight Sim 2020 on the VR headset makes it unplayable. I've got a feeling it needs an RTX 3080/90 to play it properly? Not quite sure I can justify £1500+ on a graphics card to play it.
  • 1
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23