Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
  • 1
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
By tripacer
#1805820
Rob P wrote:Why do you have to switch between views?

Can't you just pan (glance) down?

Rob P


Can you explain how I do that?

I mean: I know I can use the keyboard to pan up or down, but that means taking my hands off the flying controls (in my case, a control yoke). Or I can get Trackir 5 and put stickers on a hat, or use a VR viewer, but how would I do it with a normal monitor and no fancy head-tracking?
User avatar
By Rob P
#1805832
I simply lock the mouse view by clicking down on the mouse scroll wheel. But I haven't done much customising (too busy looking at the scenery.) I could probably programme the hat switch for the same effect

Rob P
By tripacer
#1805834
I think that's a bit clunky, and it simply isn't how our eyes work. I don't have to scroll something in a real plane, I just look down with my eyes, and I can read the instruments without having to turn up panel illumination, no matter how bright the outside ambient light.

As I say, I think in this respect the FS2020 designers got carried away by the concept of "photo realistic". But photo-realistic, or perhaps camera-realistic (the instruments are physically much dimmer than the outside view) is quite different from human-perception-realistic (we don't perceive the instruments being so dim we can hardly see them).

A simulator view should model human perception, not camera perception.
User avatar
By Rob P
#1805835
tripacer wrote:I think that's a bit clunky, and it simply isn't how our eyes work. I don't have to scroll something in a real plane, I just look down with my eyes, and I can read the instruments without having to turn up panel illumination, no matter how bright the outside ambient light.


Because the iris adjusts automatically, something it can't do on a 14 inch high screen.

There's possibly three feet from the top of your aircraft's screen to the bottom edge of the panel

Rob P
By tripacer
#1805838
Rob P wrote:
tripacer wrote:I think that's a bit clunky, and it simply isn't how our eyes work. I don't have to scroll something in a real plane, I just look down with my eyes, and I can read the instruments without having to turn up panel illumination, no matter how bright the outside ambient light.


Because the iris adjusts automatically, something it can't do on a 14 inch high screen.

There's possibly three feet from the top of your aircraft's screen to the bottom edge of the panel

Rob P


Yes, Rob, that's what I'm saying. The screen in FS2020 does not simulate what happens in a plane.

To be realistic, it should simulate reality, and so the instruments on the screen should appear the same brightness as they would in a real plane.

What we get in FS2020 emulates what a camera would see in a plane, which is that the panel is much less bright than the outside view.

If it were to emulate what our eyes would see in a plane, the instruments would appear pretty much as bright as outside.

Because we're looking at a much smaller view (a screen), then our eyes can't adapt in the way they would in a plane, and so the simulation should take account of that, and present a much brighter representation of internal instruments.
#1805948
Rob P wrote:I simply lock the mouse view by clicking down on the mouse scroll wheel. But I haven't done much customising (too busy looking at the scenery.) I could probably programme the hat switch for the same effect


I am still waiting for VR support, then we will be able to simply "look down" :thumleft:

I can't fly flightsims, at least can't enjoy them, anymore since I tried VR. It is a totally different, and much more enjoyable and immersive.

I think that MSFS 2020 is going to be fantastic when the VR support finally arrives.
JAFO liked this
User avatar
By Rob P
#1811317
davef77 wrote:
I am still waiting for VR support, then we will be able to simply "look down" :thumleft:

I think that MSFS 2020 is going to be fantastic when the VR support finally arrives.


Wait no longer. VR available from the 23rd December update.

Also a World Scenery update of the UK in January, including four new detailed airfields, one of which is Barton to give you a chance to practice radio calls on entering the ATZ.

Rob P
Ian Melville, davef77 liked this
#1811424
Rob P wrote:
davef77 wrote:I think that MSFS 2020 is going to be fantastic when the VR support finally arrives.


Sat Nov 28, 2020 09:58
Wait no longer. VR available from the 23rd December update.


Well, maybe a little bit longer.

Rob P wrote:Also a World Scenery update of the UK in January, including four new detailed airfields, one of which is Barton to give you a chance to practice radio calls on entering the ATZ.


I'm guessing it's not so realistic that you have to wash the mud off the aeroplane afterwards?
#1811435
Rob P wrote:
davef77 wrote:
I am still waiting for VR support, then we will be able to simply "look down" :thumleft:

I think that MSFS 2020 is going to be fantastic when the VR support finally arrives.


Wait no longer. VR available from the 23rd December update.

Also a World Scenery update of the UK in January, including four new detailed airfields, one of which is Barton to give you a chance to practice radio calls on entering the ATZ.

Rob P


But does it include the 'option' of receiving an invite to join a GASCO session if you make a pig's ear of it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, what VR Hardware will be supported? Any ideas?
User avatar
By Rob P
#1811439
ASOBO Executive Producer Martial Bossard confirmed that all users will be able to play the game using SteamVR headsets, and not just the new HP Reverb G2 and other Windows Mixed Reality headsets.


SteamVR to access and play VR games using your HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Windows Mixed Reality headset, or any other supported VR headset and controllers.


Does that help?

Rob P
User avatar
By Cub
#1811496
Deleted due to beta test conditions.
Last edited by Cub on Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By davef77
#1811534
Full Metal Jackass wrote:
Rob P wrote:
davef77 wrote:
I am still waiting for VR support, then we will be able to simply "look down" :thumleft:

I think that MSFS 2020 is going to be fantastic when the VR support finally arrives.


Wait no longer. VR available from the 23rd December update.

Also a World Scenery update of the UK in January, including four new detailed airfields, one of which is Barton to give you a chance to practice radio calls on entering the ATZ.

Rob P


But does it include the 'option' of receiving an invite to join a GASCO session if you make a pig's ear of it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, what VR Hardware will be supported? Any ideas?


I just saw something on YouTube saying "Support for all popular headsets" on Dec 23rd :D
#1811541
Cub wrote:Steam VR will be very weak compared to the Reverb G2. The beta with the G2 is superb.

SteamVR is a VR content provider and the Reverb G2 is a VR headset (that SteamVR supports), so I am not sure how you can compare the two?
  • 1
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23