Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JAFO, if you can possibly wait two weeks you will get much more PC for your money. There is currently a chronic shortage of components (graphics cards, CPUs, motherboards) and anything available quickly will be cobbled together from obsolete parts (like the Amazon system you linked above) or way over priced. Chinese New Year last week meant nothing shipped, but availability should pick up soon (apart from the current 'Golden Goose' RTX 3080 graphics card that I really want but will not pay 3 x RRP on eBay).
By JAFO
Cheers, @Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 but the deliver in 2-3 days was actually higher up my list than just about anything else.

I've gone for one a bit better specced than the one I linked to. It will probably not be anywhere near what a serious gamer would want but it's got to be faster than my laptop. Plate tectonics moves faster than that.

I have managed to backup the most important stuff on there, anything else is a bonus.
By Rob P
And how frustrating is it waiting on Steam for the queued World Update 3 - UK & Ireland?

Edit 1: Ah... That was my fault. It obviously won't update if the program is running. Currently downloading :D

Edit 2: Spoke too soon, looks like the servers can't cope currently

Edit 3: The 23Gb download starts 11:30

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By TheKentishFledgling
Rob P wrote:And how frustrating is it waiting on Steam for the queued World Update 3 - UK & Ireland?

Edit 1: Ah... That was my fault. It obviously won't update if the program is running. Currently downloading :D

Edit 2: Spoke too soon, looks like the servers can't cope currently

Edit 3: The 23Gb download starts 11:30

Rob P

That really does look utterly stunning.

I've not installed a Flight Sim for about 15 years, but this does look tempting.
JAFO, Colonel Panic liked this
By Rob P
TheKentishFledgling wrote:I've not installed a Flight Sim for about 15 years, but this does look tempting.

Go on. You know you want to.

As I have said previously I am hardly using it as a true flight simulator, mostly flying in an external view so I can watch all the scenery. This may change when the promised Shorts Tucano becomes available

Rob P
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
ls8pilot wrote:I note the YouTube channel is an Xbox one - is FS 2020 available on new Xbox yet? If so any reports of performance, or do we think a similar priced PC is always going to be better?

Xbox version is coming but keeps getting pushed back. 'Summer 2021' is the latest published release date. Microsoft say it will have the same 'depth' as the PC version, which is a bit vague.

I don't have an Xbox and do not know how the CPU and GPU compare to a gaming PC, but suspect performance would be at the lower end.
By Rob P
Cub wrote:What a delight was my morning flight from Oban to Broadford.

The popular trip today seems to be Manchester Barton to Liverpool John Lennon (Speke). Two bespoke airports close together.

I crashed at Barra when distracted by my own shadow coming at me

Rob P
By Cub
ls8pilot wrote:I note the YouTube channel is an Xbox one - is FS 2020 available on new Xbox yet? If so any reports of performance, or do we think a similar priced PC is always going to be better?

I imagine the developers are working very hard to get at least a little of the magic of the PC based product to run on an Xbox, later this year.
By SafetyThird
This week my Reverb G2 and the UK scenery arrived. Turns out my motherboard (X570) has issues with the G2 but I've eventually got it going and to say it's a gamechanger sells it short, it's absolutely staggering. Nearest thing I'm going to get to flying until lockdown lifts. Took off from London City, flew along the Thames at 150', did a few strafing runs along the Mall at treetop height and just marvelled at the scenery. Now if only I could get Skydemon inside the Vr world it would be perfect
By mossie
SafetyThird wrote:This week my Reverb G2 and the UK scenery arrived. Turns out my motherboard (X570) has issues with the G2 but I've eventually got it going and to say it's a gamechanger sells it short, it's absolutely staggering. Nearest thing I'm going to get to flying until lockdown lifts. Took off from London City, flew along the Thames at 150', did a few strafing runs along the Mall at treetop height and just marvelled at the scenery. Now if only I could get Skydemon inside the Vr world it would be perfect

Try this. dont have fs2020 yet but it works on FSX

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/tu ... ree/232430
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
mossie wrote:
SafetyThird wrote:This week my Reverb G2 and the UK scenery arrived. Turns out my motherboard (X570) has issues with the G2 but I've eventually got it going and to say it's a gamechanger sells it short, it's absolutely staggering. Nearest thing I'm going to get to flying until lockdown lifts. Took off from London City, flew along the Thames at 150', did a few strafing runs along the Mall at treetop height and just marvelled at the scenery. Now if only I could get Skydemon inside the Vr world it would be perfect

Try this. dont have fs2020 yet but it works on FSX

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/tu ... ree/232430

That works for standalone Skydemon but the question was about getting Skydemon into the VR headset and I think we are a little way away from that for now with current hardware and software (but it will come).