Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The improvement in framerate seems to be at the expense of image quality, particularly clouds and draw distance. The latter is a problem when you glance left or right and a building pops up - this is particularly annoying in VR. Also, flying in a city at dusk all the lights pop-on at the same time as you fly past.

It is still an amazing achievement for a PC 'game' and hopefully some graphics options will be added so that the user can optimise for the type of flight to be undertaken.

I am also getting a CTD after about 10 minutes flying so may need to re-install the whole thing again, which will take a couple of days.
Melanie Moxon liked this
Clouds have certainly suffered, not as nice as they were before update 5.

Some folk online are suggesting the PC version has been compromised for the sake of the Xbox release date. Hopefully Asobo are taking note and will improve again in due course.

I’ve seen it mentioned that clearing the rolling cache and allowing it to build again afresh may help regarding crashes post update.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
Mike Tango wrote:I’ve seen it mentioned that clearing the rolling cache and allowing it to build again afresh may help regarding crashes post update.

Yes, I'll give that a try. I move my Community folder before major updates as recommended on various Youtube channels and possibly by Asobo themselves.
By Melanie Moxon
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:The improvement in framerate seems to be at the expense of image quality, particularly clouds and draw distance. The latter is a problem when you glance left or right and a building pops up - this is particularly annoying in VR. Also, flying in a city at dusk all the lights pop-on at the same time as you fly past.

It is still an amazing achievement for a PC 'game' and hopefully some graphics options will be added so that the user can optimise for the type of flight to be undertaken.

I am also getting a CTD after about 10 minutes flying so may need to re-install the whole thing again, which will take a couple of days.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed that, I find myself having to zoom in a little more on the glass panels as well to read things like manifold pressure.

That said the addition of the XCub & 172 on floats and skis was a nice addition as was finally adding water wake effects.

Edit: they also seem to have broken the heading sync for the autopilot as well.
By stevelup
Going back to the install time... I think the main problem with the update installer is lack of concurrency.

It 'acquires a license', downloads a bit, extracts it, then moves onto the next bit - so even if you've got a stupendously fast internet connection, it's only using it sporadically. They could improve this massively by at least having two download threads to 'keep the pipe full'. It's extremely inefficient.

Mine is bursting between 300Mbps and completely idle.

It's either a) spectacularly dumb or b) a deliberate way of keeping the server load down...

I'm leaning towards a)
Last edited by stevelup on Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By stevelup
Anyway... I got distracted... The main reason for revisiting this thread is because I finally caved in and ordered a new GPU.

3070 Ti incoming :)

Wouldn't have been my first choice, but it's the only thing I could find in stock anywhere at anything approaching a reasonable price.

I actually bought it for work - I've been doing a lot of animation stuff in Blender and the rendering time was getting silly. My last 720 frame (24 seconds) project took 25 hours to render which is really inconvenient.
By tripacer
stevelup wrote:1660 Super

That's what I use, and even on a 4K display it gives usable performance: 15+ fps with fairly high quality settings. Not stellar for many games, but the picture out of the window doesn't change very fast at the speeds I fly.
By stevelup
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Is it the tax man or the wife who reads the forum...? :?

It's genuinely 95% for work. I've got a few longer renders to do which would literally take a week with my current setup. The new card will be at least ten times faster for this particular task!
By stevelup
tripacer wrote:That's what I use, and even on a 4K display it gives usable performance: 15+ fps with fairly high quality settings. Not stellar for many games, but the picture out of the window doesn't change very fast at the speeds I fly.

Try turning the render scale down - this will keep all the UI and everything pin sharp at 4K but massively increase your framerate. If you knock it down to 70% you will pretty much double your framerate with almost no visual impact.
By tripacer
stevelup wrote:
tripacer wrote:That's what I use, and even on a 4K display it gives usable performance: 15+ fps with fairly high quality settings. Not stellar for many games, but the picture out of the window doesn't change very fast at the speeds I fly.

Try turning the render scale down - this will keep all the UI and everything pin sharp at 4K but massively increase your framerate. If you knock it down to 70% you will pretty much double your framerate with almost no visual impact.

Thanks, I'll try that.
By Full Metal Jackass
Rob P wrote:I am just downloading the PC update (the one that promises a big performance jump) and yes, it is taking ages.

Rob P

My version would always show "mandatory update - please update via Windows Store" -> go to windows store -> all apps up to date.

Had to reinstall it from scratch. Damn M$.....