Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Back in January,
I wrote:How did you get hold of a 3080? I've been trying for a couple of weeks but no stock anywhere.

Well I finally gave up last week and was 'lucky' enough to buy a 3090 Founders Edition at RRP. This was double what I was planning to spend (which was already more than double what I have spent in the past), but preferable to spending more on a lesser card.

It is a monster - performance, size and power consumption! I now have all settings at Ultra at 4K and MSFS runs beautifully, even over London. VR still maxes out the GPU and I have settings set lower with reduced frame rate. The next software update is supposed to double VR framerates (due end of July).

My PC chassis is a fairly large tower but I still needed to get the Dremel out to accommodate the triple-width card.
Colonel Panic, Rob P liked this
Quick noob question for an IFR arrival; within an FMC the first waypoint on the Gatwick 08R ILS is shown as CI08R (followed by FI08R). What is the relationship of these to the points shown on the ILS DME 08R approach plate which only has DME check height points?

TIA
By 2Donkeys
Colonel Panic wrote:Quick noob question for an IFR arrival; within an FMC the first waypoint on the Gatwick 08R ILS is shown as CI08R (followed by FI08R). What is the relationship of these to the points shown on the ILS DME 08R approach plate which only has DME check height points?

TIA

CI is Centreline ILS - a point on the centreline normally a short distance from the point at which the glideslope is intercepted

FI is Final approach Fix ILS - corresponding to DME 8.6 on the 08R ILS at Gatwick (Shown by the Maltese cross on the approach plate).
Colonel Panic liked this
By JR_MAS
MSFS2020 is just out on Xbox series S/X, so you can get a fairly decent setup for not much money now.

It’s easy to plug a usb mouse and keyboard into the console for a good experience.

There are a variety of GA types on the console version, with more to come as they convert over from the PC store.

The series S runs in 1080p but the Series X is 4K.
By ls8pilot
JR_MAS wrote:MSFS2020 is just out on Xbox series S/X, so you can get a fairly decent setup for not much money now.

It’s easy to plug a usb mouse and keyboard into the console for a good experience.

There are a variety of GA types on the console version, with more to come as they convert over from the PC store.

Have you seen any reviews of how it runs on the Xbox setups ?
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
TopCat wrote:Forgive me for not reading through all the pages on this thread, but...

MS Store or Steam for the PC version?

I don't think it makes much difference. I use Steam for convenience, but an Xbox user might find the MS Store easier to keep MS 'stuff' all in one place.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
ls8pilot wrote:
JR_MAS wrote:MSFS2020 is just out on Xbox series S/X, so you can get a fairly decent setup for not much money now.

Have you seen any reviews of how it runs on the Xbox setups ?

There are a couple of YouTube reviews. The general opinion seems to be that it runs better than expected on both flavours of XBox, given the respective price points, but a gaming PC will always be better. The frame rates looked good and a distinct lack of stutter, even close to New York.

The optimisations to achieve the XBox performance were released yesterday for PC so it will be interesting to see the impact, particularly for VR. I will report back tomorrow!
By tripacer
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:
TopCat wrote:Forgive me for not reading through all the pages on this thread, but...

MS Store or Steam for the PC version?

I don't think it makes much difference. I use Steam for convenience, but an Xbox user might find the MS Store easier to keep MS 'stuff' all in one place.

I use the MS Store as I don't have any other use for Steam. Just remember that the download is huuuuuuuuuuuuuge - well over 100Gbyte - so if your Internet is not fast then make sure your PC power settings don't put the PC to sleep half way through. Set to a "High Performance" power plan or similar that doesn't sleep until it's done.
By Rob P
I am just downloading the PC update (the one that promises a big performance jump) and yes, it is taking ages.

Rob P
Rob P wrote:I am just downloading the PC update (the one that promises a big performance jump) and yes, it is taking ages.

Rob P

Yes, me to, and my comment rhymes with clucking bell. I started the download before 2pm, and it's just got past 50%. My BT Internet can't be called "broadband" without a sense of irony, but it's not even downloading at half the miserable 34Mbit BT allows me.
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Well mine finished about 40 minutes ago, but I then went to Content Manager and found four more updates available.

Deluxe Upgrade
Premium Upgrade
World Update III
World Update V

The latter two being updates for the original updates :wall:

Rob P
After installing update 5 and the subsequent hot fix, then sorting out the issues with peripherals it caused, thought I'd try maxing everything out settings wise and seeing how it performed. The results are really quite remarkable. Albeit the sim still has some issues that no doubt will be ironed out over time, if you'd said to me a year or three back that I'd be able to sit at home and look at visuals like this on a home PC I'd probably have raised at least one eyebrow.

Anyway, this is a circuit of Manhattan and a dodgy landing at LGA. If you choose to view it the larger the screen and the higher the resolution the better. The over exposed clouds are partly the sim and partly the video conversion process, looks better in reality...

Plus a few more here...

https://www.youtube.com/user/masklin1/videos
Rob P liked this