Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Full Metal Jackass
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
townleyc wrote:What is this that you need an active facebook account for Quest 2? :?

Also how much more than the £299 do you need to spend to get it all working?

KE

I can't answer the first question, that's why I'm pleased with my Quest 1. You'll need a compatible cable to connect the Quest 2 to your PC; assuming the PC is powerful enough, then you can dive it and really enjoy flight simulator 2020 to the max.

It wasn't difficult to get it working - important is to program some keys on the keyboard to reset the centre of view and other functions such as show the menu bar in VR - then press Ctrl & Tab to start VR mode. To make it more immersive, I have programmed all the key functions to buttons on my Honeycomb Alpha Yoke and Saitek Throttle - still awaiting the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle..... I can typically fly without needing to use the keyboard; even so, I keep the mouse between the Yoke and Throttle such that if I need to zoom in on the MFD, I can do so..... (right click on the MFD or PFD zooms in, makes reading details very simple)
By SafetyThird
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:Cost-wise the HP Reverb G2 is probably the best of the current crop of headset for flight simulation at about £799 but the Oculus Quest is a close 2nd and only £299. The Quest 2 has the advantage that it is also a standalone headset and works without being tethered to the PC for other apps and games. Much less of a financial risk if it turns out you cannot use it and there is a strong 2nd-hand market for both.

I bought a Reverb 2 for £539 without the controllers, which you don't need if you're just playing with flight sim. It's about £649 with the controllers. If you have an X570 motherboard, there are some usb issues but AMD are working on an update to fix them. I found that plugging in through a USB Hub fixed the issues for me.

Worth every penny, the realism is astounding. Now, if someone would just figure out how to put Skydemon into the VR setup for MSFS I'd be very happy indeed.
By WelshRichy
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:I would have thought that if your brain compensates ok in the real world then it would work the same virtually. If the imbalance is correctable by lenses then I recommend VR optician. My prescription is fairly mild but they make a big difference and reduced eye strain. It is possible to wear glasses inside most headsets but it is not too comfortable and there is a risk of damaging the lenses.

Cost-wise the HP Reverb G2 is probably the best of the current crop of headset for flight simulation

Thank you and I may just splash out on a HP Reverb G2 once my account is replenished, I suppose I could always return if it doesn't work. :D
My HP Reverb G2 arrived yesterday.

Works very well with my Next Level Racing motion platform and with a RTX 3090 gives very good performance in MSFS2020 with all graphics at high or max.

My only is is that the in focus sweet spot is very small.

I have tried with and without glasses and oddly the glasses that made the best improvement were a pair of cheap +1.0 readers which is not close to my current long distance or reading prescriptions!

I think for flying and particularly sim racing some custom lenses (c€65) to attach to the Reverb are the way forward...my challenge is trying to work out what prescription to order ?
By RayP
peterlondon wrote:... with a RTX 3090 gives very good performance

Where on earth did you source an RTX 3090? They are like hens teeth as the Ethereum miners grab all of the stock.
By Rob P
I am looking forward to this as I have typical 'upgrade fever' and scan the ads for GPUs and memory from time to time. Maybe this will enable me to crank up the settings a little and postpone the upgrades for another few months.

Rob P

But if anyone has a 1080TI GPU they are looking to move on ... :D
Mike Tango liked this
By Full Metal Jackass
Rob P wrote:I am looking forward to this as I have typical 'upgrade fever' and scan the ads for GPUs and memory from time to time. Maybe this will enable me to crank up the settings a little and postpone the upgrades for another few months.

Rob P

not a 1080TI but I do have an nVidia GTX1060 6GB RAM going if you wanted......
By Rob P
Thanks, but it's a 1060 in there at the moment

Rob P
By Full Metal Jackass
Rob P wrote:Thanks, but it's a 1060 in there at the moment

Rob P

No probs. I've also got 2 x 8GB DDR4 RAM going, if anyone wants them. It's a shame to have them sitting around doing nothing so if anyone wants them, just PM me.
Rob P wrote:I am looking forward to this as I have typical 'upgrade fever' and scan the ads for GPUs and memory from time to time. Maybe this will enable me to crank up the settings a little and postpone the upgrades for another few months.

Rob P

I went a bit overboard when I ordered my first Windows PC in donkey's years earlier in the year primarily to run MSFS. The same medical issues that caused me to lose atco's license and retire a bit earlier than originally planned will also preclude me from an unrestricted medical for flying again, so sim it is rather than the real thing. Therefore over the top spec list :roll: :D

From order to delivery was a little over two months due to the shortage of just about everything, but when it eventually arrived it was worth the wait. MSFS running at pretty much ultra settings on everything is really quite impressive. Look forward to seeing what further improvements this latest update will bring.
By Red
Rob P wrote:Thanks, but it's a 1060 in there at the moment

Rob P

That would be a disappointing upgrade, you wouldn't notice much difference at all.
Better to wait till newer GPU prices come down or upgrade your CPU if that's practical with your current M/Board